Cross My Heart (The Heart Falls Heroes, Book…

Cross My Heart (The Heart Falls Heroes, Book 1)

by K. D. Friedrich

312,842,477 (4)None
Recently added bytina_thebookworm, Apadravya

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review. This does not influence my review in any shape or form.

I’m a sucker for my best friend’s little sister stories. Like seriously if the synopsis says anything close to “best friend’s little sister” I am reading it. I love those kind of stories so when I had the opportunity to review Cross My Heart, I immediately said yes. Not only is it a best friend’s little sister story but it is also has a Marine and I love Marines.

I had semi high expectations when it came to reading this book because it included all my favorite things so I was praying to the bookish gods not to let me down and please let me enjoy this story. I wanted to throw in the towel a couple times but I made it through and enjoyed it.

Our Story
Cross my heart begins in the past where we first encounter Pete, John and Cara. Cara is at a party with her boyfriend and Pete and John stop by to make sure she’s not doing anything stupid. That’s when we find her making out with her boyfriend and Pete loses it. His jealously wins and he beats up Cara’s boyfriend Stan. We know they have strong feelings for one another but Pete won’t cross that line and they have a big fight he leaves for the Marines the next day without even saying good bye.

Then the book fast-forwards six years, Pete is discharged from the Marines due to his injuries and he has to return back to civilian life. It was something he wasn’t looking forward to, especially moving back to his mom’s house but as fate should have it he had to move in with Cara. Leaving both fighting their attraction, their sexual tension and their feelings.

We not only have a love story in Cross my heart we also get a glimpse of a soldier trying to deal with the after affects of war. Learning to relive his life in the civilian manner. We see PTSD, drinking and the real affects that some soldiers returning home have.

Cross my heart is told in third person point of you with snippets of both character’s thoughts. I really would have liked seeing both their point of views to just to get a better feel for the story but since it wasn’t told in dual points. I did enjoy the little snippets we saw of what they were thinking. It helped me connect with their story.

Our Characters
Pete was so hard to like sometimes. I totally understood he went through hell because it is described throughout the book. We see him have a drinking problem, we see how he doesn’t want to deal with things from his past. He’s cut off from the world never showing his true feelings and that really does show throughout the book. I’m not going to lie, I wanted to slap Pete for the way he acted towards Cara but I knew he was trying not to hurt her and put her through hell because of what he was going through. Towards the end, I really liked how he grew as a character. I was able to see the man I had hoped was there. It just took a while for him to show behind the anger, the feelings of unworthiness, survivor’s guilt etc. you see the real man Pete is and he is amazing.

Cara was a strong character. I don’t think I could’ve put up with everything Pete said or did personally but she refused to leave him to his own devices. She made sure he knew that she was all in and she would support him no matter what. It was amazing to see how strong she was because the boy really did some messed up things to her. Not many would’ve put up with everything she did. I especially loved how she stood her ground and laid down the rules for Pete if he wanted to be with her certain things had to happen. I felt this was a key part to her growth. She wasn’t afraid to stand up for herself and lay down the rules. It was something I truly admired.

Stan was hard not to cheer for in this story. He was truly an amazing man and someone who did love Cara just as much as Pete did. It was hard not to want Cara to wake up and like him because he didn’t come with as much baggage as Pete. I hope we see more of him in the other books (I’m assuming there will be more) because he deserves an amazing woman.

John was an awesome big brother though at times I felt like he was avoiding the whole my best friend likes my sister ordeal because he just couldn’t believe it. I loved how protective he was with both his sister and Pete. I especially loved how protective he was of Cara. I thought that was really neat.

The Romance
Pete and Cara without a doubt loved each other. Unlike most romances they had to deal with some scary stuff alcoholism, PTSD, Survivor’s Guilt, Medical Injuries just to name a few. I loved how Cara really fought for their love. What I loved most about them is that Cara wanted Pete to learn how to love himself so that he could be happy and if things were meant to be they would be happy together. She wanted to help him overcome things, she didn’t ask for much in return and no matter how hard he pushed she pushed right back to let him know that she was still going to be there no matter what.

Overall
I really enjoyed Cross my heart. I loved the connection Pete and Cara had. I loved how she really stood up for their relationship and how she tried to help Pete overcome his struggles it didn’t matter that they were in relationship or not she wanted him to overcome his battles to be a better person for himself. I thought that was so amazing and definitely not something we see in a lot of romance novels. I will admit I HATED how Pete treated Cara sometimes, I personally would’ve said F.U. and left but she really stood her ground and fought her own battle against him. I loved that the most about their relationship.

My best friend’s little sister Marines = A Pretty Happy Tina. ( )
  tina_thebookworm | Feb 12, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,792,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible