Genius: The Game by Leopoldo Gout

Genius: The Game

by Leopoldo Gout

I wanted to love this book, but, somehow, it fell a little short for me. Genius: The Game is a young adult story with a tech/sci-fi feel. The characters were great. I liked all of them. Even the minor characters, and there were a good number of them, had something memorable about them. The book was fast paced, with a number of sub-plots, but not so many that it felt out of hand. It's written in first person point of view, and switches between our three main characters Rex, Tunde, and Cai. And, unlike other books I've read, it does so very smoothly. The scene transitions and pov transitions are all handled very well. However, there were a number of things which forced me to give it a lower score.

First, the graphics bothered me, which is odd as I'm a huge fan of graphic novels and manga, and studied Art History (basically, I really like pretty pictures). However, many if not all of the graphics in this book felt unnecessary at best and, at worst, in the way. One graphic didn't even agree with the description in the text - a picture drawn on a napkin with pizza grease on it. The picture of this clearly has a coffee ring, or a sweat ring from a cup of soda on it. Maybe it's a little pedantic, but it bothered me to no end.

Also, the ending posed some problems as well. There was little closer. Almost none. In fact, the book opened up more new questions than it closed. The only subplot that I felt had even a modicum of closure was Tunde's, and even that's not really finished yet. Clearly, this is supposed to be the first of a series, though it isn't really stated anywhere on the book that I could find (it's an ARC). If there was more closure to this book, I probably would have given it another star.

I received a free ARC copy of Genius: The Game through Goodreads Giveaways in exchange for an honest review.

kateprice88 | Sep 25, 2016 |
When a self-made technology industry leader decides to hold a competition, he invites 200 young geniuses from around the world. Rex, Tunde and Painted Wolf have long connected on-line, but this is their first opportunity to meet in person. The competition pushes everyone to their limits, but these three never give up.

I think this is a great book for teenagers. The characters were interesting and well flushed out. My only complaint is that the ending was quite abrupt. I always hate when an author does this. Overall, well worth picking up. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Jul 29, 2016 |
Leopoldo Gout is a new author for me, so I didn't know if I would like this book, but it is really very good.
Rex, Tunde, and Painted Wolf are known as the "LODGE" to computer hackers, bloggers, and code writers all over the world for using their skills to right wrongs and stand up for the little guy. All three have their own reasons for attending "The Game" hosted by the youngest CEO in India's history and computer genius, Kiran Biswas . As the game goes on, the three realize that the other competitors aren't their biggest problem, and the game may just be a front for something sinister going on behind the scenes at Kiran's company called OndScan. Soon they are all fighting for their lives and the lives of their families as the pressure to win the competition becomes a life and death battle.
Clearly there will be at least one sequel to this book based on the way that it ended. A lot of the technical jargon is way over my head, and the technical drawings and diagrams interspersed throughout the book add interest, but none of it is necessary to understand the story. The three main characters are all flawed individuals, but they are easy to like because they are always doing what they think is right. I'm looking forward to the sequel to find out what happens to these three likeable characters. ( )
  Mrslabraden | Jul 3, 2016 |
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion of the book or my review itself.

This is essentially the middle grade version of Ready Player One. No, it's not as well-written, but it is a good read. And it carries the message of doing the right thing, fighting against those who abuse their power, and how you can be true best friends with someone you've never met face-to-face.

The three main characters of the story, Rex, Tunde, and Painted Wolf, are in fact best friends who physically meet for the first time in The Game, a competition meant to bring together the best and brightest youth of the world. Up to this point, these three have known each other through their communications online. The internet has made it possible for these teenagers, separated physically by thousands of miles, to come together as The Lodge, essentially the Three Musketeers of cyberspace.

The Game itself is interesting, though again not as interesting as the central game of Ready Player One (and the story line of Genius practically begs for comparison to its predecessor). This is one of those young adult reads that I think I would have enjoyed more as an actual young adult. While adults can certainly find it a fun read (I did), it doesn't have the same adult appeal as many other young adult books do. ( )
  seasonsoflove | May 23, 2016 |

"Three underprivileged young prodigies from across the world with incredible skills in technology and engineering team up to become the heroes the world never knew they could be."--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,542,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible