Moonglow by Michael Chabon

Moonglow (2016)

by Michael Chabon

This was WONDERFUL. I don't always love everything Chabon writes, but I think this might be my favorite.

Such a fantastic mix of memoir, magical realism, unreliable narration, and subject matter. Told in a non-linear style that took me a bit to get used to. ( )
  Abbey_Harlow | Oct 5, 2017 |
. Pulitzer Prize winner, Chabon, unfolds a deathbed confession made to him by his terminally ill grandfather who shared recollections and stories which formed the basis of his novel. It ranges from South Philadelphia’s Jewish slums and the invasion of Germany to New York’s Wallkill Prison and a Florida retirement village. It is a tale of madness, of war and adventure, of sex and desire and ordinary love, of existential doubt and model rocketry, of the shining aspirations and demonic underpinnings of American technological accomplishment and , above all, of the destructive impact and the creative power of keeping secrets and telling lies. Chabon has written another classic. I think you will definitely want to read this!
  HandelmanLibraryTINR | Sep 27, 2017 |
Winner of the Sophie Brody Medal • An NBCC Finalist for 2016 Award for Fiction • ALA Carnegie Medal Finalist for Excellence in Fiction • Wall Street Journal’s Best Novel of the Year • A New York Times Notable Book of the Year • A Washington Post Best Book of the Year • An NPR Best Book of the Year • A Slate Best Book of the Year • A Christian Science Monitor Top 15 Fiction Book of the Year • A New York Magazine Best Book of the Year • A San Francisco Chronicle Book of the Year • A Buzzfeed Best Book of the Year • A New York Post Best Book of the Year

iBooks Novel of the Year • An Amazon Editors' Top 20 Book of the Year • #1 Indie Next Pick • #1 Amazon Spotlight Pick • A New York Times Book Review Editors’ Choice • A BookPage Top Fiction Pick of the Month • An Indie Next Bestseller
  WENDYWANK | Sep 15, 2017 |
This was a beautifully written volume. The verbiage is so wonderful to read.
What a wonderful way to honor a grandfather. Michael Chabon's grandfather is dying and Michael is listening to the stories that the man is sharing with him about his life, which includes stories about his grandmother, mother, etc.
I was so taken by this story, that I was compelled numerous times to Google information about World War II references, rockets references, Jewish references, etc. In doing so, I learned many things that I didn't know about a lot of things.
Great tribute, even if it is considered fiction. ( )
  JReynolds1959 | Sep 2, 2017 |
Wonderful book - Chabon at his best, IMO. The subjects are his grandparents, and the book is presented as a memoir, complete with a narrator named Mike, who is a writer. The twist is that it's actually fiction (although perhaps the grandfather bears some resemblance to Chabon's own - that we aren't told). The book jumps around in time, and it's hardly a conventional novelistic plot. But it's a total delight and for me, a real page-turner. ( )
  meredk | Aug 29, 2017 |
This is a novel that, despite its chronological lurches, feels entirely sure footed, propulsive, the work of a master at his very best. The brilliance of Moonglow stands as a strident defence of the form itself, a bravura demonstration of the endless mutability and versatility of the novel.

One can read Chabon’s novel as an exploration of anger—a study of how one man’s innate rage is exacerbated by the horrors of the twentieth century and by their impact on his personal history.
added by melmore | editNew York Review of Books, Francine Prose (pay site) (Dec 22, 2016)

“Moonglow” is another scale model of love and death and catastrophe. It’s another reminder that we live in a broken world. And fiction, Chabon said, “is an attempt to mend it.”

And this book, a love letter to two temperamentally opposite grandparents — one a rational, practical American, the other a dreamy, romantic European — is also an account of their formative influences on the writer their grandson would become.

These are not so much explained as felt, woven into the very fabric of Chabon’s supple and resourceful prose. He brings the world of his grandparents to life in language that seems to partake of their essences.
added by melmore | editNew York Times, A. O. Scott (Nov 18, 2016)

There is no dark side of the moon, really. Matter of fact, it's all dark.
-Wernher von Braun
To them, seriously
To them
This is how I heard the story.

A man bears witness to his grandfather's deathbed confessions, which reveal his family's long-buried history and his involvement in a mail-order novelty company, World War II, and the space program.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,488,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible