Make Me by Alyssa Turner

Make Me

by Alyssa Turner

731,616,274 (3.67)None

A Hearts On Fire Review

THREE & A HALF HEARTS--Two ex-Marines best friends that went GFY and a carefree lady librarian MMF sandwich. Hold the pickle.

j/k

Add two.

In "Make Me" by Alyssa Turner, two ex-Marines best friends, Manny and Kyle have been friends for ten years and during that time have had a number of threesomes together but could not deny their feelings for each other. Unfortunately one of the men couldn't handle being out of the closet and walked away. Manny meets Rebecca in a sublet mix-up and the two are stuck with each other...and are also in lust? While these two get to know one another, enter Kyle (also a rich son of a US Senator) trying to win his man back and the woman he's falling for.

Quite the triangle, huh?

"If this doesn't work, then he really is the fucking tin man."
"Pretty sure he has a heart."
"And a nice fat cock."
"I remember".
He winked at her again. "I'll bet you do."

This story is 100% erotic romance but I had to rate the erotica and romance separately because together it mostly works. The erotica was definitely stronger than the romance. The plot is mostly light with a minor suspense-ish twist in the last 10% (very brief, thankfully).

The Erotica - It's leaning more towards 4 HEARTS - The sex scenes were spicy hot. Based on the sex alone (and ignoring the "romance") it worked. The sex was the strongest part of the book. There was a brief mention of contact solution used as lube, a scene where one of the three MC was a naked sushi buffet, a double penetration scene and even outdoors sex. Rebecca was always wet and ready for action. Manny was the conflicted, heart damaged man who yearns for something solid. Kyle was seduction incarnate, with sly quips and lines. The sex was hot but not scorching, some scenes I had to reread to understand who put what where but overall, it was enjoyable. On a scale of 1-10 on the sex-o-meter, I'll give it a 6.5

"Hands down, you're the most beautiful when you're turned on."
She smiled. "That's all your fault," she said looking at both of them.
"Then we'll both have to fuck you and share the blame."

The Romance - That's more 3 HEARTS. This story was not as smooth as I think it could have been. With menages, I look for believability in each side of the triangle - I like each side to equal or as close to equal as possible. The love and hurt between the boys? I believed it. The author showed some of Manny and Kyle's history (I'd have liked more info or maybe if the prologue to maybe showcase the initial breakup) to give background to their...angst. The thing is Manny seemed more hurt than Kyle yet he gave in so quickly.

"I mean, are you happy?"
"Don't ask me that. I want something I can't have. I have something I shouldn't want. Does that sound like a happy situation?"
Kyle tilted his head. "It sounds totally fucked up."
"Uh-huh."
"Am I the 'can't have or the 'shouldn't want'?"
"Fuck, dude. You're a little bit of both."

Manny and Rebecca seemed to have a stronger connection than Kyle and Rebecca - granted they all got together relatively quickly (yes, it's in the insta-love lane) but I really did not believe Kyle. Rebecca and Kyle didn't have much time to interact and some scenes Rebecca seemed hesitant and the next sentence she just forgot about it and gave in.

The triangle is only strong for two sides and there's that weak Kyle and Rebecca side that I tolerated but did not believe. As a throuple, I guess they could work. The story ends HEA (with a surprise visit from a character from [b:Polished|17970258|Polished|Alyssa Turner|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1369235600s/17970258.jpg|25189758]).

Do I think "Make Me" is a HEA? Not really. If something really tough happens in the future, I could picture Kyle bailing. He took the coward's way out too quickly. I have a love-hate feel towards Kyle. He's a fun guy, he's the guy you call when you're horny - he will deliver on phone sex and much more. But he's not my choice for a long term partner for anyone.

The main parts and ideas are good. Sometime the execution was a little off (ex. main characters' complaining about something and the next minute just doing it; thoughts thrown out that were not fully explored such as Kyle's reasoning for liking women) but overall a decent read. It was fun traveling through NY with Manny and Rebecca. And Kyle was very seductive, I will definitely give him that.

I am disappointed when MMF is disguised MFM (an author will give one paltry blowjob scene to make it technically MMF--hate that) but thankfully this author is not one to do this. I have not been disappointed in the MM aspect in her MMF books I've read. If you're looking for a lighter, erotic MMF with a fun NY background, you should try this book. It's quick, not angst heavy, not heavily military influenced with not too much depth.

Uncomplicated.

An copy was provided for an honest review." ( )
  SheReadsALot | Jun 20, 2016 |
Rating: 3 to 3.5

I have come to really enjoy Alyssa Turner's menage stories and the way her characters go through the experience of voicing their needs and desires to a loved one, dealing with insecurities that arise and any other obstacle one can think of. In a Turner book, this usually means broaching the subject of finding that special third person to complete an already established couple. Make no mistake, these stories aren't about a couple who want to add some kink to their love life of inviting a third person into their bed. At the end of the day, it's about three people headed for a committed relationship including all the insecurities, hopes and difficulties along the way to a HEA.

With that said, I've read two such stories by this author and loved them. I really wanted to love this one just as much, but it just didn't have the same emotional impact on me. I liked the dynamics and the connection between Manny, Kyle and Rebecca, but it kept going on and off for me like a switch. I thought Manny and Kyle were great together, but perhaps it was because they already had a long history before Rebecca showed up. There was nothing really to dislike about Rebecca. She was sweet, sassy and open-minded, but I just didn't care one way or another about her. Even as I say that, she was a good fit for both of the men. Each of them underwent a good character development in learning to accept and embrace their wants and needs, and steadily working their way to a relationship. I particularly liked the moments of insecurity from Manny and Rebecca. I found it realistic for them to question their roles and the rules.

As far as the plot went, I felt a few things were a little predictable. A senator for a mother and Kyle, the hero son, in a three-way relationship with a man and a woman was bound to be a major source of conflict and drama, and it was. Some of the sex scenes were better than others, but overall you should think of having a bucket of ice water on stand-by.

I realize this review may sound as if I disliked more than I liked, but that is not the case. Make Me just didn't turn me inside out like the other stories by this author did. However, I think this would be an excellent choice if you're new to her writing and curious about reading a menage story where the outcome is a committed relationship between three people versus just adding a third person to the bedroom to spice things up, if that makes sense. Read this story and get acquainted with the idea. Either way, this author is one of my favorites when I'm in the mood to step out of my comfort zone for a bit (I hate angst, but she sucks me in every time). If you're daring enough and ready to jump in the deep end, definitely pick up either By Surprise or Polished. They are standalones and have a HEA.

Favorite Lines

“Maybe if I kiss you, you'll stop talking.”
She frowned. “What?”
“Clearly you need something to do with those lips. They're in perpetual motion.”

~*~

Manny shifted his eyes and then found the strength to look back into his searing gaze. “You mean is she better for me than you?”
“I mean, are you happy?”
“Don't ask me that. I want something I can't have. I have something I shouldn't want. Does that sound like a happy situation?”
Kyle tilted his head. “It sounds totally fucked up.”

“Are you ready?”
She smiled up at him. “Go ahead. Maki me.”
~ in reference to nyotaimori (body sushi)

~*~

Disclaimer: I received a review copy from the author for the purpose of an honest review. ( )
  MsRomanticReads | Jan 22, 2016 |
I am a huge fan of Alyssa Turner. This book was perfect for me. First of all, I love threesomes, especially some m/m/f action. But Ms Turner's books are also so emotional and they really resonate. Very hot and sweet and everything I hoped! ( )
  JennyMcTavish | Apr 16, 2015 |
For my honey. You make me better.
“Your father and I are leaving for the governor’s fundraiser in fifteen minutes. I can’t imagine what was so important that it couldn’t wait until tomorrow.”

You can't have it all until you lose everything...

Manhattan's most eligible bachelor, Kyle Hunter, is a Marine Corps vet, the son of a US Senator, and the prodigal heir of American corporate royalty. He's rich, smart, and a notorious flirt. Kyle Hunter is also in love with his best friend, Manny. But after they’re disciplined for improper behavior, Kyle breaks it off. The last thing he wants to do is create a national scandal during his mother's bid for re-election.

Manny Tescadero isn't about to be hurt twice. He needs time alone to figure things out. Still, when Rebecca Sinclair lands on his doorstep, claiming the apartment is hers, his honor won't let him turn her away. New love interests aren't part of the mission. Not when he's still in love with Kyle…

Rebecca Sinclair thinks she has it all—her dream job and an amazing apartment in the city. But when she returns from her last work assignment to the apartment that she'd been subletting, she finds her landlord's grandson instead—a hot Marine Corps vet with problems of his own. Rebecca's attraction to Manny heats up pretty quickly. Add his best friend Kyle to the mix and the heat becomes explosive. Working through old hurts and understanding new desires isn't easy. Rebecca never dreamed having it all could mean finding a combustible bond with two incredibly hot guys at once. Then someone sends pictures to the media, and having it all could mean losing everything…

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,824,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible