Dangerous Dreams by Mike Rhynard

Dangerous Dreams

by Mike Rhynard

I received this novel as an advanced copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The excitement I approached this novel with quickly waned as I began to read this story. Perhaps it was the version that I was reading but I had a very difficult time following along with the story. Everything was very choppy and sometimes it was difficult to tell what exactly was going on and who exactly was talking. The conversations itself seemed very stilted and awkward, making the story and the characters seem even more one-dimensional than they already were. There were also a great deal of subplots, which made it very difficult to keep things straight. With every page, I was getting introduced to new characters and new events and new information, so much so that they all began to blend together and I became extremely confused and frustrated. Also, some of the elements really didn't work. For example, using Emily, a virgin who is from a well-respected family, as a wet nurse made no sense to me. And why was there so much interest in her choosing a suitor?! Shouldn't she - and all other people - be focusing on something more important, like their SURVIVAL?! When the third love interest was introduced, I literally rolled my eyes; I hate when characters suddenly see a person and know that "he is THE ONE". It is just so unbelievable and throws credibility for the whole story out the window. I enjoyed hearing about the survival aspects but sometimes the way it was described didn't make sense to me; if we are reading about the Roanoke survivors through these dreams that are from Emily's perspectives, then how can we be seeing and hearing conversations happening when she is not present? That was something that kept popping into my mind. There weren't too many mentions of Allie, who is the young woman from the 21st century, and whenever she was part of the story, all she seemed to do was say "wow, what a weird dream" and "oh no, not this!" and then fall back asleep and keep dreaming; she really didn't have much substance as a character. Because of all of these reasons, I couldn't push myself to finish this novel and stopped reading at 35%. ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
Allie is having dreams...vivid, crazy, realistic dreams after a breakup with her boyfriend. Allie cannot seem to shake the feeling that she knows the people she dreams of . These dreams are like a movie and they happen every night, continuing the story of a young girl named Emily who lives in the colony of Virginia in 1587. As Allie continues to dream of Emily, she becomes obsessed with the desire to know what happens to Emily and those around her. Just as Emily is facing the dangers of early colonial life in America, Allie is also facing dangers in the 20th century: the need to sleep in order to dream, the need to dream to find out what happens to Emily...no matter what the cost to herself or to those who love her.

This was really a great book that tied the history of Roanoke colony and the Native Americans with the many theories surrounding what may have happened to result in their disappearance. I loved the history and the fiction of the possibilities of what could have been to those poor settlers. Mr. Rhynard, I hope you continue the story of Allie the Dream Woman, and her ancestors! Would love to have a complete series of books dedicated to that line of genealogy! Thank you for the copy of your book! ( )
  chrirob | Apr 11, 2017 |
Absolutely one of the best books I have read in a long time! I couldn't put it down, pushing for the end! Very detailed historical data and fictitious fleshing out of the story. The combination was a winner. I am looking forward to more from this author. ( )
  AMKee | Sep 7, 2016 |
This amazing recollection and telling of american history is fantastic. The language leaves you with such vivid images and questions things you been taught when younger. ( )
  iowabooker | Sep 4, 2016 |
Thoroughly enjoyed this historical novel on the Lost Colony of Roanoke, with a beauty of an intertwined tale of a lucid dreamer and perhaps ancestor who is currently reliving the adventure every time she sleeps. I’d get so caught up in the adventure that I’d be as frustrated as Allie when she awakens to her disjointed nighttime reveries. I’m also a lucid dreamer and the combination of pseudo-science and mayhap reliving the past was just an absolute joy to read. Rynard has created some pretty interesting characters and plausible explanations and as big as the book was… I was sorry to have it end. Hopefully, there will be more to come because there are plenty of possibilities still left to be uncovered!

An advanced copy of this book was provided for an honest review. ( )
  catscritch | Aug 26, 2016 |

They sailed to the New World to establish England’s first permanent settlement. Today, they’re known as the Lost Colony of Roanoke—America’s most vexing and enduring mystery.

On July 23, 1587, 117 colonists landed on Roanoke Island, in present day North Carolina. Barely a month later, amid rapidly-deteriorating circumstances, Governor John White sailed back to England for additional supplies and colonists. War with Spain delayed his return to Roanoke until 1590, when he discovered the colony had vanished.

In the 21st-century a young woman unexpectedly dreams an ongoing series of mysterious, lifelike dreams of New World settlers. She eventually deduces she’s witnessing the gripping saga of the Lost Colony of Roanoke through the heart, mind, and tribulations of a young colonist named Emily Colman. Along the way, she develops a compelling emotional intimacy with Emily; but also discovers a dangerous dark side to her dreams and that there may be far more to her bond with the Lost Colony than she ever imagined.
As the dreams progress, Emily and the colonists struggle for survival against mounting adversity—internal dissent erupts, two suitors seek Emily’s favor, the powerful Powhatan chiefdom plans the colony’s demise, and four warriors from a tribe to the distant north arrive to trade with tribes near the colony. The subplots converge amidst the excruciating drama of the colony’s waning fortunes, and Emily faces terrifying, life-threatening perils that ultimately force her to make an agonizing choice that will shape and define her remaining life.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Mike Rhynard's book Dangerous Dreams: a Novel was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Mike Rhynard is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,934,007 books! | Top bar: Always visible