Little Boy Blue by M. J. Arlidge

Little Boy Blue

by M. J. Arlidge

11520104,954 (4.08)19

English (19)  German (1)  All (20)
Little Boy Blue by MJ Arlidge is a 2016 Berkley publication.

Well, it was bound to happen. Helen’s personal life and professional life are about to have a head on crash and it’s not pretty.

When Helen is called to the scene of a crime, it becomes her absolute worst nightmare. Without saying too much, Helen is- shall we say- acquainted with the victim. Desperate to keep her dark secret from being exposed, Helen begins to lose her grip on the investigation and her behavior becomes erratic. Charlie, however, seems to have grown a backbone which strains her relationship with Helen.

Can Helen close this case and keep her hidden peccadilloes from becoming public knowledge or have the chickens finally come home to roost?

Oy! This was a very intense story! From start to finish this one kept me on edge- and I mean the white knuckle, I can hardly bear to watch, nail biting, kind of suspense that should come with a warning label.

This installment reminded me of that old ‘Godfather’ quote: Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Just when Helen had begun to distance herself from her secret, lurid underground life, she is plunged neck deep into the most horrifying scenario she could have imagined. It's almost surreal.

Once more, Helen finds herself trolling the dark recesses of the BDSM clubs, only this time, she’s looking for a killer. It goes without saying that Helen will have to handle this case with kid gloves, and it has her feeling jumpy and out of sorts, as she worries about her own connection to the murder.

But, as the story progresses, a plot is revealed that just might be Arlidge’s most diabolical one to date. If you follow this series, you know that’s really saying something.

I got behind on this series, but now I’m glad I did, because after that ‘to be continued’ conclusion, I won’t have to sit on pins and needles waiting for the next installment to come out before I can find out what happens next!!

Once again, Arlidge sucked me right into his cleverly spun web, trapping me inside the confounds of Helen Grace’s world, which is not always the most pleasant place to be, and is one you enter at your own risk, because once you step inside her world, you can not, not even for one tiny moment let your guard down.

4.5 stars ( )
  gpangel | Jan 21, 2018 |
A bad decision to start late at night btw since I had to force myself to stop listen quite early one since it was pretty late and I had to work today. Anyway, I'm really thankful that I have the next book as an audiobook was well since this one ended with a frustrating cliffhanger. I'm also glad I did not read the book and then had to wait until the next book was published!

In Little Boy Blue must Helene Grace tackle a very personal case. The murder victim is someone that she knew, but for reasons can't she tell her fellow colleagues that she knew the person in question. Now, she has to keep her emotions in check while trying to find the devious murderer. But, how long can she hide the truth?

As usual, has M.J. Arlidge written a thriller that from the start captivated me. I quite enjoy listening to this book. Elizabeth Bower is a great narrator, and her ability to change her voice for all the characters make it easy to know who is who. Also, the book is so thrilling that the hours just fly away when you're listening to the book.

I did suspect the identity of the killer, I'm not quite sure when it hit me who the person probably would be. However, it made the book more interesting to listen to. Was I right about my suspicious or not made the book more thrilling? Btw, yes I was right...

Little Boy Blue is just as the previous books brilliant. I do recommend reading this series from the beginning and not from book two as I did. This is a series that definitely is best suited to read in order. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
An interesting choice of setting for this thriller! But a very clever plot. Certainly kept me turning the pages to see who was killing these people. ( )
  pamjw | Oct 11, 2017 |
Little Boy Blue is the fifth novel in the Helen Grace series and each one gets more intense than previous ones. Helen Grace is tasked with investigating a murder that hits pretty close to home. This time she knows the victim and he knew her, rather intimately. The problem she has is she can't let anyone on her team know that she knew the victim. It could create a lot of problems for her professionally and personally. The killer is not done yet either, Helen has to race to find the killer before she is the next victim.

I have enjoyed reading this series, the writing is perfect in every way, definitely a page turner, I love thrillers like this that keep me not only interested but wanting more. I look forward to reading the next one, because of how this one ended. I have read a lot of different series but this one wants me reading each one to find out what happens to Helen and her crew next. I do recommend that you start the the first book in the series to enjoy the the whole story of Helen Grace! ( )
  celticlady53 | Sep 10, 2017 |
DI Helen Grace is a detective with a complicated past and part of her past comes back to haunt her as a man is found murdered at the local BDSM club. The man is Jake Elder, a professional dominator whose professional services Grace had used in the past. Desperate to find Jake's killer but also acutely aware that her private predilections may come to the surface, Grace is torn. Then another dominator is also killed, Max Paine was someone whose services Grace had used, Suddenly these crimes are becoming more personal and maybe it is not about the BDSM community, but about DI Grace herself.

This is the fifth book in the series and I had only read one previously, There is quite a bit of background to DI Grace's past that is integral to this story and I felt a little behind at time. I also don't really care for the BDSM aspect of the stories which are the central motif to the narrative but the descriptions are not explicit of gratuitous. This may sound rather negative about a really good book but without giving anything away the denouement is both unexpected and brilliant - it leaves me wanting much more. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Jun 26, 2017 |
Soms zou je liever sterven.
He looked like a falling angel.

The UK's most exciting new crime-writing talent.

The death of a young man, found cocooned in plastic, looks like it was a tragic accident -- a sex game gone wrong. But when another lifeless victim is found days later, wrapped tight, DI Helen Grace knows that she's on the hunt for a serial killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 23 Jan 2016 13:19:19 -0500)

"In the darkest corners of the city, there is a thriving nightlife where people can let loose and cross the lines of work and play, of pleasure and pain. But now that sanctuary has been breached. A killer has struck and a man is dead. In a world where disguises and discretion are the norm, one admission could unravel a life. No one wants to come forward to say what they saw or what they know--including the woman heading the investigation: Detective Helen Grace"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,538,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible