Rath's Deception by Piers Platt

Rath's Deception

by Piers Platt

273402,159 (4)None

The Janus Group selects orphans under 18 years old to undergo a selection process. If they pass, they are offered the chance to be trained as operatives with the promise of a percent of their contract prices if they reach 50 missions without being killed or convicted. Conviction or revealing anything about the group to outsiders equals death. So the group remains an urban legend that some are trying to prove exists. Yet no one seems to know anyone who's collected the bounty at the end of their time . . .

The book is action driven but did lag a bit for me in the middle. I strongly suspected one of the plot points before it was revealed, which is rare for me. There were others that I did not suspect until the reveal came. I would read more in the series just to see if Rath and 339 succeed. (Since it's fiction, I'm sure they will . . . eventually.) ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jul 31, 2016 |
My original Rath's Deception audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Rath’s Deception by Pier Platt is the first novel in a series called The Janus Group. After becoming an orphan at a young age and fending for himself on the streets of Tarkis, Rath is recruited by the Janus Group to become a sought after intergalactic assassin. The contract is for 50 kills. If the contract assassin survives 50 kills, then he or she is entitled to 50% of the money that the Janus group made on that contractor's kills. It’s an enticing prospect, but intense prospect for a destitute young man who has never killed anyone. As Rath progresses through the grueling training and his kills mount, he becomes aware that there is something not quite honest about the Janus group. Simultaneously, the police are constantly on the hunt for a way to bring down the Janus group, which is essentially a group of highly trained and efficient murderers. Meanwhile, Rath must figure out a way to complete his 50 kills and retrieve the money that he was promised.

This is an action packed and unique novel. I really enjoyed every part of it. Rath is trained by the Janus group to become a killer, but he is still a sympathetic character. Rath is a determined, but ultimately becoming a world weary man, focused on this one objective. However, knowing his back story makes it hard not to like him. Meanwhile, the Group only seems to become more vicious and ruthless as the novel progresses. The police detective and reporter that are trying to track down the contract killers are an excellent addition to the story, because then the reader doesn’t have to hear about each of Rath’s kills and the story moves forward. I also really liked the little insights into the Janus Group’s operations that are revealed during Rath’s missions and the use of 3D printer-like technology. The one thing that I didn’t like about the novel was that it was hard to tell how much time had passed from chapter to chapter. Overall, it was fast paced and action packed story.

The narration by James Fouhey was well done. Each of the characters was distinguishable and the voicing fit the characters. The production quality was good as well. I would recommend this story to anyone who likes action packed stories about rebel assassins mixed with a police mystery.

Audiobook was provided for review by the author. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Jul 26, 2016 |
pretty good start to a nicely alternative dystopian structure - likable enough character - plenty of room to continue story development - minimal syfy technical details ( )
  jason9292 | May 14, 2016 |
"You're still withholding information," the drone observed.

Piers Platt is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,934,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible