The Life and Times of Jamie Lee Coleman…

The Life and Times of Jamie Lee Coleman (Book Three of the Round Rock…

by Michael E. Glasscock III

521,436,638 (1)None
Recently added byKimSalyers, Robertowiz, Itzey, jpporter
fiction (1) own (1) to-read (3)

I received a free copy from Netgalley for review and an honest opinion.

This novel starts out with a burst of interest in the life of a poverty stricken family and an abused child. The writing draws you into the lives of Jamie and his mother. You desperately want to free them from the mistreatment of his alcoholic father and improve their living conditions. You applaud his courage to runaway, although, if it were reality, it could not be assured he would find so many wealthy saviors willing to sponsor his future.

I felt the story started to fall apart when Jamie runs away a second time after his mother's murder.

Jamie seeks out friends that are willing to be totally self-sacrificing and in need of his attention and "love"; although they don't know anything about him except his superb musical talents and his horrible childhood story. Time after time they appear and disappear but Jamie just aims higher toward a life as "star". Tragedy flashes all around Jamie, he drops into a depression, and is saved time and again by another nurturing soul willing to support his emotionally and physically. The descriptive scenes of his horny crotch did little to endear me to the "star".

This story could have continued with the quality writing that was seen in the beginning of the novel but I felt that the author was more interested in adding another book in the series that putting effort into truly developing Jamie's character.

Sorry. This wasn't the best book I read in a long time.
  Itzey | Jan 23, 2016 |
This is the third of (a projected) four-book series about Round Rock, Tennessee (a fictional location); it is the only book in the series I am likely to read - and that only because I received a free advance copy.

The story is about - not surprisingly, given the title - a 10-year-old boy, Jamie Lee Coleman, who escapes from a poverty-ridden, abusive, home to go on to become a rich and famous musician and businessman.

When he leaves home he is taken in by an elderly school teacher who makes a habit of taking in young, poor, homeless children (one at a time, I suppose). Within hours of meeting the old woman, Jamie is playing a piano for the first time, where he discovers that he can play - apparently flawlessly - without ever having touched a piano before. He has this same fantastic luck with the guitar.

At the age of 16, young Jamie runs away from home again, ending up in New Orleans, where he is "discovered," ultimately leading him to become a successful musician. He forms a band which he rules with an iron fist, starts his own music company, and becomes fabulously wealthy.

Clearly, Glasscock's true calling is as an otolaryngologist, and writing is a pastime that gives him a chance to unwind. The writing is rudimentary, consisting of a series of leaps from one idea to another. We are treated to episodes created simply for the dramatic effect they can produce; the dialogue is stilted and unnatural; reflections are about as deep as a wading pool.

In general, the novel is completely unrealistic. That may be permissible for fantasy and science fiction, but for a dramatic novel about "real life" it is the kiss of death. I cannot recommend this book. ( )
  jpporter | Nov 22, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,926,357 books! | Top bar: Always visible