Still Restless: Conversations That Open the…

Still Restless: Conversations That Open the Door to Peace

by Jan David Hettinga

532,034,260 (4.33)None

People are seeking peace in all areas of life. In our chaotic world today the search is even more intense. The author shares how we make our lives more distressed by seeking the peace we so greatly desire in all the wrong ways. The more we try the more elusive and distant it becomes. We attempt to create our own world based on what we believe will make it perfect. Of course anything we do is far from that. It takes a while for us to learn (and some never learn) that a relationship with Christ and turning control of our lives over to Him is the only way to have a peaceful, purposeful life.
The first part of the book addresses attitudes and actions toward God that will hinder us from having that tranquility and harmony within that we crave. Mr. Hettinga uses different people from the Bible that are an example of wrong approaches and shows us how to examine ourselves. I liked his illustrations showing how the “Kingdom of Self” operates differently than the “Kingdom of God.”
The second part of the books reveals what we must do to end our vicious cycle of restlessness and futilely searching. As in the first part, we learn from men and women in Scripture the ways to end our pursuit and have the peace God intended for us to. This book is not only a good study book, but it also gives you a lot of food for thought.
I received this book from Kregel Publications in exchange for an honest review. The opinions I expressed are my own. ( )
  Mizroady | Mar 12, 2016 |
If you are looking for a book to help you speak to a non -believer, this could be a useful tool to start a conversation with. We all have moments where we are not sure which direction we should take, and the author does a good job of addressing topics just like this. There are many different topics throughout the book that can help you dig deeper into the word and also guide non -believers to what the Word says . It can definitely be used as a tool for discussions with non-believers but I think I may have to go back and do a bit of research on some of the points the author makes.

The author includes questions at the end and are very thought provoking . I did find the chapter "Curious about God" to be quite interesting . He talks about the trap that many leaders face when they are perceived not to be tempted. We all have temptations and it is up to each of us to not fall for the trap. It is sad when people get pleasure out of seeing a religious figure fall. Why is that? It is simply because we don't think they would ever be tempted and when they are, the power, pride and arrogance takes over. There are many illustrations the author uses to help bring the reader closer to a relationship with God. The choice is ours to make.

I received a copy of this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review. ( )
  Harley0326 | Jan 24, 2016 |
I believe this book truly speaks to those who are searching for God. The author shows how each of us is constructing our own kingdom. He also explains how unfortunately it doesn't always work out the way we plan. This is of course because God has a plan for us. This book shows you that it is ok to ask questions. We have all been restless a time or two in our lives. God is always here to answer our questions.
The chapters range from our sources of restlessness to coming to the end of it. He walks non believers step by step and allows for great discussion.
Loved how the author layed out the chapters and diagrams with passages from the bible for reference. I also liked the end of the book where he placed discussion questions for each chapter to delve deeper into conversation.
I recieved this book from The BookClub Network for an honest review.
  Penny_Burns_Marks | Jan 23, 2016 |

Find the inner peace that your heart longs for

Many things prevent us from allowing God to be the manager of our lives. For some, it's a longing for social justice they don't see Him bringing about. Others fear losing more than they would gain. Still others have been wounded and believe a God of love would have stopped the hurt from happening. In response, we create our own kingdoms, attempting to organize life to get what we want. The problem is that we are not truly equipped to run our world well, no matter how hard we try.

Still Restless relates good news: God has always had time for honest seekers, even when they have hard questions or objections for Him. The proof is in the life of Christ. Jesus met for one-on-one conversations to share the way to truth and life, and He rarely used the same approach twice. The gospel is designed for everyone, no matter one’s experiences or personality.

Jan Hettinga walks through these gospel encounters to demonstrate how talking with Jesus is a good thing to do, particularly in today’s fast-paced modern world. Conversations with Christ lead to a spirituality that shuts down evil and empowers good. They produce a faith that surrenders control right from the beginning, embracing the relief of following a leader who cares for you.

What would you give to travel back in time to make an appointment with Jesus, to talk to God in flesh and ask your questions face-to-face? Hettinga uncovers the path to that opportunity today. Get ready for the conversation of a lifetime and a manager you can trust completely.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 23 Jan 2016 23:14:45 -0500)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,904,912 books! | Top bar: Always visible