Those Who Walk Away by Patricia Highsmith

Those Who Walk Away (original 1967; edition 2017)

by Patricia Highsmith (Author)

'The setting is Venice, the characterisation brilliant, the syle spare and superb' Daily Mail The honeymoon is over; the bride dead by her own hand. Ray Garrett, the grieving husband, convinces the police in Rome of his innocence, but not his father-in-law, Ed Coleman, who shoots him at point-blank range and leaves him for dead. Ray survives and follows Coleman to Venice, where the two fall into an eerie game of cat-and-mouse - Coleman obsessed with vengeance and Ray determined to save his reputation, and himself. Each is at once the hunter and the hunted in a tense duel that, as each manages to walk away, draws them nearer to death.… (more)
Member:BasilValentine
Title:Those Who Walk Away
Authors:Patricia Highsmith (Author)
Info:Grove Press (2017), Edition: Anniversary, Reprint, 264 pages

Work Information

Those Who Walk Away by Patricia Highsmith (1967)

This was a fine way to while away some sick time, but I would not say it was her best. Fortunately a less than superior offering by Highsmith is so very much better than most people's pinnacle of achievement. I found myself unconvinced by the motivation/character of Ray, the main character, or Coleman's, his adversary. Not once did either of them - or anybody in the story - feel real to me.

Rest here.

https://alittleteaalittlechat.wordpress.com/2015/01/11/those-who-walk-away-by-pa... ( )

bringbackbooks | Jun 16, 2020 |
Ray Garetts junge Frau hat sich umgebracht. Nun verfolgt ihn sein Schwiegervater hasserfüllt, weil er glaubt, Garett trage die Schuld am Tod des einzigen, geliebten Kindes. In Rom wird Garett bei einem Mordanschlag nur leicht verletzt. Statt sich jedoch vom Schwiegervater fernzuhalten, reist Garett ihm nach Venedig nach, um ihn von seiner Unschuld zu überzeugen. Vergeblich.
  Fredo68 | May 14, 2020 |
Peggy Garrett has committed suicide. Her husband, Ray, and her father, Coleman, are both grieving, but in different ways. Ray mourns the loss of the life they had together and the loss of her development as a painter. Coleman blames Ray for driving his daughter to suicide and goes so far as to shoot Ray one night. Fortunately, Ray survives and follows Coleman to Venice. But Coleman still wishes Ray dead and makes a second attempt to kill him. Ray takes the opportunity to hide out and attempt to set things straight somehow with Coleman.

This was a bit of a WTF book for me, as in “WTF, Coleman! Stop trying to kill your son-in-law!” It’s a strange scenario, probably not the most plausible, but I couldn’t help but read on to find out what bizarre behaviour Coleman would display next, and how Ray would deal with it. Ray displayed great resourcefulness—is he sure he doesn’t want to be a spy? I found it interesting, too, that Highsmith set the story in Venice. It reminded me a bit of Daphne du Maurier’s “Don’t Look Now” in that regard. This combination of books inspired me to look up some maps, read up on the vaporetti (the water buses), and re-request the Michael Dibdin book Dead Lagoon to get some more of that Venetian atmosphere. ( )
1 vote rabbitprincess | Jan 24, 2018 |

Patricia Highsmithprimary authorall editionscalculated
Uhde, AnneÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

detebe (20484)
Coleman was saying, "She had no brothers or sisters. Makes things a little easier, I suppose."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,291,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible