The Legendary Lord by Valerie Bowman

The Legendary Lord

by Valerie Bowman

Let me start by saying that I’ve read this author before and I like her writing voice. She writes fun and engaging stories with witty dialogue and good plots. Her début and the books that followed were well written and paced and they held my attention throughout.

The chemistry between her main characters had me spellbound with its tension and sensuality. And the love scenes were emotional and moving. I also found their characterization and situations they found themselves in, entertaining, funny and tension filled which kept me glued to their stories.

That’s why this story left this reader underwhelmed. The story wasn’t bad, far from it. It was well written, yet I had a hard time connecting to Christian and Sarah. Unlike the previous heroes and heroines who were fun and funny, these two felt forced and fell flat.

In the end, if you’re a fan of this author, you’ll want to read it but if you’ve never read her before, this is the story you should check out, ‘A Secret Proposal’ by Valerie Bowman.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
Hunting lodges and fleeing ladies!

So what do you do when your parents have inveigled you into an engagement that you don't want, but that gives them no end of pleasure and lofty feelings of having done well? After all their daughter has landed Lord Brantford, the catch of the season, and a close companion of the Prince Regent. Lady Sarah Highgate, feeling the walls closing in, ran away to Scotland of course! Although it didn't help that she ended up in the wrong place in the middle of a snow storm knitting doggie capes and fending off apparent would be mayrauders with a sword she could hardly lift. (I must admit to falling in love with Sarah in the hunting lodge stage!)
And if your the owner of a hunting lodge that you've repaired to looking for a time of respite aware from the rapacious members of the ton, you don't expect to find a 'would be goldilocks' sleeping in your bed.
What starts out as a mistaken encounter, endures into friendship that seems to never be able to become any more than that, due to the dratted fiancée and the parental pressure.
Still when Lucy Hunt, the Duchess of Claringdon, decides to help her dearest friend Christian Forester, Viscount Berkeley, and her new friend Sarah Highgate find true love--well all bets are off, even if the eleventh hour is nigh upon them. Another rollicking bit of fun from the Playful Brides series.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Nov 9, 2016 |
A lovely Regency romance, sparkling with wit and humour.
Christian and Sarah make a delightful couple right from their first meeting. Sarah is young and full of cheer and has plenty of ideas to help Christian make a match in society. It left me tingling with anticipation for what was to come when the pair made their way back to London.

I haven't read any of the other books in the series but it certainly didn't prevent me from thoroughly enjoying this one. This is a series I will enjoy reading from the beginning.

I couldn't put this book down and I would definitely recommend it to all Regency romance fans. ( )
  Inishowen_Cailin | Nov 2, 2016 |
Christian Forester, Viscount Berkeley enters his Scottish hunting lodge to find an intruder. Who is it? Lady Sarah Highgate. What is she doing in his house? She ran away, got lost and ended up in his place instead of her father’s. Their time in the lodge was temperate and filled with talk and lessons on how to woo a woman – but not Lady Sarah. A plan is made for Sarah to retain her good name and return to London to carry on with her life and for Christian to become the bachelor of the spring season on the marriage market. The story is filled with simple every day events and the big decision is whether to marry for love or for duty. Figuring it out for the two of them takes quite some time and involves characters from previous books in the series and an introduction to the man who will have his story told next.

This is a fun read for a day you want to escape. It is not very deep but it is entertaining.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin’s Press for the ARC. This is my honest review. ( )
  CathyGeha | Oct 28, 2016 |
The Legendary Lord (Playful Brides #6) by Valerie Bowman is a 2016 St. Martin’s Press publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This installment in the ‘Playful Brides’ series is a delightful Regency period romp, filled with light banter and charming characters.

Sarah Highgate can’t endure the thought of marrying the man her parents have chosen for her. So, despite a lifetime of cowering to her parent’s wishes and preparing herself to marry within the peerage, she snaps, and runs away from home, a fateful decision that will change her life.

Christian Bancroft, Viscount Berkley, arrives at his Scottish lodge looking for a respite from London, only to find a most alluring lady has broken into his home. Once it has been established that Sarah mistook his hunting lodge for one belonging to her father, the two discover they are stuck together due to a winter storm.
When Sarah explains her dilemma, expressing her deep remorse for disappointing her parents and suggests she is beginning to regret the damage she has done to her reputation, Christian comes up with a way to help her reenter society without causing a scandal, and Sarah promised to help him find a wife, by turning him into a ‘Legendary Lord.’

If you want a pure Regency romance, you’ve come to the right place. Thank you Valerie Bowman for getting it right! I loved the setup, Sarah’s charm and wit, and Christian, is the perfect example of an introverted soul who just needs a little shove in the right direction, to help him gain confidence. He had me a little worried there for a while, though.
I also admired the proper language, the manners, and how true the author stayed to historical authenticity, in these regards.

Overall, this is a lovely story, captivating and infused with humor, and pleasing all around. I thoroughly enjoyed this one!
4.5 stars ( )
  gpangel | Sep 21, 2016 |

When Christian Bancroft, Viscount Berkeley, flees the stuffy ballrooms of London for his Scottish hunting lodge, the last thing he expects to find ensconced before his fire is an incredibly beautiful woman. But the plight of lovely young Sarah Highgate, who has run away from an unwanted betrothal, inspires an eminently practical exchange. He'll safeguard her reputation with the ton while she advises him how to best attract a proper bride...… (more)

Valerie Bowman is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,932,461 books! | Top bar: Always visible