The Botanist by Richard M. Marshall

The Botanist

by Richard M. Marshall

213,664,194 (3)None
cozy (1) postwar (1) spy (1) thriller (1)

The Botanist by Richard M Marshall - Good

Richard is a friend of mine and I beta read this for him a little while ago. It is his third book (second aimed at adults) that I've read.

This was written in the style of Manning Cole, as an homage. As I haven't read any of his works, I can't comment on how close Richard has got, but I can comment on the story and style etc.

It's kind of like a cosy spy thriller - no forensic/gory details: when someone dies, that's it, nothing detailed or bloody.

The setting is post-war France and our 'intelligence man' is looking into the death of a boffin that had retired to the south.

The backgrounds of the characters are very vague. Everyone was "something in the War" but not willing to say (pretty accurate for the times), but what we do get is pretty steady romp through the intrigue and adventure until our man wins out.

If you like period mysteries such as Agatha Christie or Josphine Tey then, as that is the sort of style Richard is aiming for, it's worth a read.

I really enjoyed it, it's Richard's best yet.

Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,921,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible