Nothing Is Heavy

Nothing Is Heavy

113,689,591 (4)None
Recently added byCassandra2020

Gosh, this was so much better than I expected! I'm now unsure what to do with it next (re-release at the next meetup, or try and get it a wider audience via a bookray?).

Set in Edinburgh, although there's not much recognisable to hang onto, it centres around 3 main characters: Amber (an exotic dancer), Beth (works in a chip shop) and George (on a stag night, dressed as a monkey). They all co-incide one night and a series of events spiral them together. As we read about the events of the night, we find out more about each individual, their backgrounds & how they all interelate even though they don't realise it.

I don't want to say too much about it, as you need to read it! I'll just say that I loved the characters and how they are drawn. I loved some of the incidental characters: shark boy, the Elvis style chip shop owner. I loved the way the author pulls all the strings together and how she made me care about what happens to everybody.

Well worth reading!
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |

The Deep Sea chippy and the Fantasy Island bar face each other across the neon glow of Junction Street. Beth shovels chips on one side and Amber spins naked around a pole on the other. Their work is mundane and predictable, each night much like any other, until a sudden, dramatic death forces them to choose between relative safety and risk.

Into this situation wanders George, lost and broken-hearted and dressed in a monkey costume.

Nothing is Heavy follows these three characters over the course of one intense Saturday night. Unaware that their lives are already intimately connected by a previous tragedy, their fates collide again with completely unpredictable results.

What ensues is a hilarious, surreal, furiously-paced adventure involving sex, drugs, chips and angels which hovers masterfully between tragedy and farce.

The strength of this truly original novel is that beneath the thrill-a-minute, fast-paced action, Vicki Jarrett deals with serious issues as the unforgettable characters' life-crushing backgrounds are slowly revealed and the past catches up with the present.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:57:32 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,547,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible