Network Sleeper by Richard M. Marshall

Network Sleeper

by Richard M. Marshall

113,689,591 (3)None
Recently added byCassandra2020

This is another book written by my friend and ex-colleague, this time Science Fiction. And once again being a bit of a pedant, I did a spot of proof reading too!

I finished reading it about a week ago and I'm struggling to find the right words. I enjoyed it, but it played to my preferences. I love science fiction and being a techie, all the computer jargon and technicalities worked really well for me. I'm just not sure how they'll play for anyone else.

The basic story is that the world has moved on from the way society is structured now. People don't really work in offices and travel is limited due to a dwindling fossil fuel supply. In the midst of all this is a news agency/gathering service (WIN) which is so highly protected that it's become the only news supply and the world's economy is extremely sensitive to anything that it publishes. Somehow someone has managed to plant a Network Sleeper in there and is planning to influence the world economy by planting fake news stories.

Cue our hero, Ian. He was one of the founders of WIN and is its technical designer. He has to travel to the headquarters to find out how the fake story was planted and then onwards following the trail of the mysterious 'Rouge' across Europe and beyond. Along the way we meet various colleagues and he gains a love interest all the while being chased, and sometimes caught, by various henchmen.

The story zips along at a pace and I certainly see shades of the author in Ian's character ;-) I liked some of the ideas of how things may change in the future (especially liked the idea of a Software Archaeologist), but some of them were equally horrifying - especially those that we know are already in development.

What I'm really interested in finding out is if any of my less techie friends will enjoy it as much or whether part of my enjoyment is the fact that I have some of the same techie background as the author. ( )
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,542,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible