Christmas Caramel Murder by Joanne Fluke

Christmas Caramel Murder

by Joanne Fluke

Not bad. Kept you guessing until the end. Too many recipes and not enough book content. ( )
  lhaines56 | Jan 5, 2019 |
It's Christmas and one of the most busiest times for Hanna Swensen and her cookie shop. This year they are providing all the goodies for the annual "A Christmas Carol" play. A tall order that is made even bigger when Lisa, Hannah's partner, volunteers the shop to also make all the candy for the event, since the candy company from last year has closed.

A fly in the ointment for Lisa is when Mayor Bascomb decided that Phyllis Bates will play Mrs. Claus to Lisa's husband's Mr. Claus. What is so bad is that Phyllis is Herb's old high school flame who has returned to Lake Eden. At the dress rehearsal Phyllis shows up dressed more for a men's club performance than for a performance for families! Definitely not a PG rated costume.

When Phyllis is found dead in a snow drift in her 'costume' things get busier. Hannah is on the hunt for the killer and the reason, and is intent on solving the case before the event takes place in just a few days.

This is an event that happened the Christmas before Ross entered Hannah's life, and she is the one telling it to Ross. I liked this much better than the previous book as it is the determined and self reliant Hannah.

I read it in just a few hours! ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Nov 19, 2018 |
I have NEVER given a book one star but this book was SO disappointing it deserved it. This book, imho, should NEVER have been published. I waited 4-6 months for this?!?! The overall idea of this book, discussing a mystery Hannah solved a year a go to her new husband, Ross, over dinner, was pathetic. Please Mrs. Fluke, make Ross stop calling Hannah "Cookie", could you have been more original with a nickname. Sheesh!! This book was a total disappointment, actually the rest of the series is since Hannah, stupidly, married Ross! ( )
  ne.may97 | Jan 1, 2018 |
I was looking for a cozy Christmas mystery and although I got what I asked for I hated it. This was almost too cozy. This is the twentieth Hannah Swensen book and by god, does someone die every month in this small town? Is Hannah always the one tripping over bodies? Why do the police let her run her own parallel investigations when she clearly has no formal training? Why is she such a goody goody meddler? There is no tension or real intrigue in this mystery. Readers are spoon fed a watered down Christmas time murder. Of course it happens in a small charming town, where everyone is in everyone else's business. This mystery is lukewarm at best. Also, included are recipes that sound interesting, but I will never attempt. Very meh. ( )
  ecataldi | Nov 27, 2017 |
Good Library book
  cewren | Aug 22, 2017 |
This book is for the lovely Frida Giselle.
Prologue: The dining room at the Lake Eden Inn was festive with corn shocks, hay bales, pumpkins, and giant beer steins made of papier-mache.

The holidays have arrived, and Hannah and her good pal Lisa have agreed to provide all the goodies for the town's annual production of A Christmas Carol. But before anyone can say "Bah, humbug!" a Santa-sized sackful of trouble ensues. Like the fact that Lisa's husband will be playing Mr. Claus to his ex-girlfriend Phyllis Bates' Mrs. Claus. Or that before the curtains even go up Phyllis is found dead in the snow - wearing a costume that the real Mrs. Claus would put on the naughty list. Soon after the suspects pile up faster than snowdrifts in a blizzard, while a merry murderer remains on the loose. With clues even harder to find, it might take a visit from ghosts of Christmas past to wrap up this mystery in time for the holidays.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,655,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible