A Book of Scars by William Shaw

A Book of Scars

by William Shaw

I have always enjoyed this trilogy. Reading this final installment was definitely bittersweet for me and maybe that is why I read this so slowly.

Breen and Helen are back and this time they are investigating the murder of Helen's sister that took place years ago. This investigation is personal and it just might get Breen in more danger than he's ever been (which is saying a lot considering his history). Breen starts investigating Alexandra's murder while recuperating on the Tozer family farm (well Helen really leads him to do it). While I did enjoy the investigation, and getting to read about Breen going undercover as a hippie, I felt that it really wasn't all that hard to figure out who the murderer was after a little while. Why that person murdered Alexandra remained a mystery for quite a while to me.

What I loved about this book was the relationship between Breen and Helen. Something big happens between them and I loved it. Breen clearly loves Helen but Helen still wants to remain independent. I loved her stubbornness but ultimately loved where they ended up at the end. I am sad that this is the last I'll read of Breen and Helen.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the galley. ( )
  dpappas | Feb 18, 2016 |
UK/US titles are different A Book of Scars aka A Song For the Brokenhearted

The earthshaking decade of the 1960s comes to a sweeping and dangerous close, as William Shaw's detective duo battle the most powerful members of London society.

After being wounded in the line of duty, Detective Sergeant Breen recuperates on the family farm of his former partner, Helen Tozer. To fill the long and empty hours, he reviews the open case file for a murder that has haunted Helen for years: that of her younger sister. Breen discovers that the teenage victim had been having a secret affair with James Fletchet, the son of an affluent local landowner, celebrated for his service in Kenya during the Mau Mau Uprising.

Breen and Tozer return to London's Criminal Investigation Division, where their questions about Fletchet's past are met with resistance and suspicion. The deeper they probe, the more people they implicate in their investigation. New Scotland Yard doesn't look kindly upon breaking rank, and it's only a matter of time before Breen and Tozer make themselves a target.

Shaw's stirring, heartfelt and diabolically plotted mystery series is everything a reader looks for: enveloping, invigorating, and wonderfully entertaining.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 04 Feb 2016 12:19:11 -0500)

The earthshaking year of 1968 comes to a sweeping and dangerous close as Detectives Breen and Tozer battle the most powerful members of London society in their probe into a case going back years--the murder of Tozer's younger sister.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,530,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible