Let's Get Real

Let's Get Real

113,689,591 (3)None
Recently added bySueinCyprus

I downloaded this when it was available free for the Kindle, and read it, off and on, over the past month or two. I can't say I found it gripping. The beginning of the book certainly drew me in, describing as it did the total breakdown of a marriage, followed by divorce... and then, soon after, a tentative reconciliation, gradual healing, and then a fulfilling remarriage. The rest of the book, theoretically, shows couples how to keep their marriage strong, or recover from problems. Topics include the need for forgiveness, and what it means; having a safe place to express oneself; avoiding shame, and more.

However, the principles outlined in the book were fairly basic - I don't think I read anything that I hadn't already come across in other books about marriage. There are Scripture references, which is fine, but I actually felt that there were too many mentioned in the text itself, rather than with a footnote. That would not really have been a problem; unfortunately, there were also questions - personal and for discussion - some at the end of chapters (which, at least, I could skip) and some in the middle. They were not even interesting questions, but the kind of comprehension questions children in primary school might be expected to do as busywork: 'match these four principles up with the four Scripture passages', or 'draw a ring around the correct answer'. Bad enough in a book, quite ridiculous in a Kindle edition.

Less of a problem - but also a bit annoying - is that the book was not correctly formatted for the Kindle. What would have been boxes, or perhaps highlighted text in the book form just appeared as extra text, which was very confusing until I realised what was going on.

As a free download, I really can't complain - and, to be fair, the advice given might be useful to anyone who has not read any other books about marriage. But I'm not entirely sure why yet another book on the topic is necessary; it would have been more interesting with more personal anecdotes and less 'teaching'. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,551,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible