Give Up Ironing by Kathleen McGurl

Give Up Ironing

by Kathleen McGurl

113,689,591 (5)1
Recently added bySueinCyprus

This is a short book; Amazon list it as having 50 pages, and I found that the ‘percentages’ rolled by as I was reading on my Kindle. It probably took me an hour to read in all, over a couple of sessions, while eating breakfast. The style is friendly and chatty, the book well-organised, and the advice excellent.

The first section - after a brief introduction - is entitled, ‘Freeing up time to write’. That's not really a problem for me, but for those who insist that they don’t have time, there are some excellent points made. We all have the same number of hours in the day, and we all prioritise what matters most. If writing is important, something else may need to go.

The second section is about making the most of writing time. A lot of this resonated with me. To-do lists are wonderful for ensuring we don’t forget things; but the pleasure taken in crossing things off can turn it into an exercise in procrastination. The author stresses the need for discipline, and I found myself nodding a lot. If I allocate time to write, then ‘just five minutes' checking email first isn’t helpful.

The final section, ‘motivating yourself’, talks about making reasonable goals bribing oneself with rewards for completed goals. I’ve tried the reward thing in the past and have never found it all that useful, but doing a certain amount each day can certainly be constructive. There’s nothing like a set goal, with a measure of accountability to get people going.

The most useful part of the book to me talks about finding the most appropriate time and method for writing, and sticking to it. This is so true. It really is worth trying most of the suggestions, to see what works - and what doesn't. Then the only problem is being disciplined enough to stick with it until it becomes a habit.

I would recommend this ebook highly to any writers (potential or actual), or indeed anyone who struggles with time management; many of the principles in the book could be used to apply to completely different activities.

I gave up ironing years ago, and don't watch TV at all, but I still found a great deal to relate to in this book. The style was excellent, and, unusually for self-published ebooks, it was clear, thoroughly proof-read, and laid out in an easy to read fashion.

I can’t do other than give it five stars, even though it’s so very short. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,562,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible