Ani's Raw Food Desserts: 85 Easy, Delectable…

Ani's Raw Food Desserts: 85 Easy, Delectable Sweets and Treats

by Ani Phyo

213,660,858 (4.5)None
Recently added byGaiagirlie, SueinCyprus

As a book, this is a delight. There are excellent photographs throughout of the most appetising looking desserts. There are also interesting explanations about why the author eats raw food, with its many health benefits, and here and there are extra hints or tips for - for instance - keeping one's skin young, or boosting metabolism. It's the kind of book to sit down and read pretty much cover to cover. I did that when I received it, and found it very inspiring.

Unfortunately, although Ani Phyo insists that most the ingredients she uses are easy to find, that simply isn't the case in Cyprus. I couldn't even find most of them in the UK, although I gather they can be ordered online. But such items as coconut oil, agave syrup, cacao nibs and mesquite powder simply aren't in the aisles at Sainsbury's. And unfortunately, most of the recipes use at least one of these ingredients.

Still, although I agree with the principles of raw food eating where possible, I realised that I could make substitutions. So I tried creamed coconut (in sachets intended for use in curries) instead of coconut oil, and honey instead of agave syrup. I did manage to find 'Medjool' dates - much juicier than regular ones, and with no sugar added, although I hadn't previously heard of them.

I tried three of the recipes, and they were very successful. I intend to try more, although I still don't know what I could use instead of cacao nibs or mesquite powder.

The emphasis seems to be more vegan than raw foods; for a truly healthy dessert there's nothing to beat fresh fruit salad, after all. But these recipes make a nice change, and as far as I can tell are all fully dairy-free and wheat-free, although certainly not nut-free! ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,759,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible