Sebring

by Kristen Ashley

Series: Unfinished Hero (5)

Nick Sebring has issues. Born feeling like an outsider in his own family, growing up under the shadow of a brother who could do anything, Nick isn't that great of a guy. But when this culminates with Nick lashing out to hurt his brother through the woman he loves, Nick turns inward and makes some decisions about the man he intends to be.And as he does this, he falls in love and truly learns the man that he's grown to be.When his love is murdered right before Nick's eyes, Nick knows he has to avenge her. He knows how he's going to avenge her. And he has no qualms using Olivia Shade to exact that vengeance.Olivia Shade has grown up on the outside of her family too. Her problem is that they don't want her outside. They want her all the way in, right under their thumbs. She pays the price for seeking escape and learns her lesson?she'll never see a dawn where she wakes up free.Then she meets Nick Sebring, and even as she fights it, the hope that died years ago starts to blossom. She can find love. She can have a man of her own. She can be happy. She can be free.Olivia hopes while Nick schemes.However, as Nick peels back the layers of all that is Olivia Shade, he finds something surprising. He understands its fragility. He falls in love with its beauty. He seeks to protect it.But he forgets to protect his Livvie from one thing: Nick Sebring.… (more)

At first I wasn't sure I was going to be able to finish this book.

Olivia, the good girl daughter of a mobster. I get that she's basically had everything that's good and pure stomped out of her. Hell, her father taught her just how not hers her life was in one lesson. I can see why anyone first meeting her would think "Ice Princess".

Nick Sebring, wow, talk about a man on a mission. Avenge his dead girlfriend and bring down a "bad" family at the same time. But that was before he met and fell for Olivia. Destroying Vincent Shade may mean that Livvie might get caught up in the middle of all of this. Instead of keeping her safe he would put her life on the line and could he stand to watch another woman he loves die.

The way these two get together and the first part of their relationship was so cold and twisted I honestly didn't think there could be a happy ending for these two. But I forgot, this is Kristen Ashley and there is no one better than she at bringing together couples who are damaged, out for revenge, or just so buried in the seedy side of life they can't imagine what "free" feels like.

Once out Nick get his heart involved and stops thinking only of making Vincent Shade pay for his sins I started to get into their romance. Him realizing that Livvie and making her safe was more important than killing or maiming Shade then we had a hero with a redeemable quality and him we could cheer for and fall in love with.

This is not to say our lovers had an easy road to "happy ever after" but man did we start wishing for it. Her sister Georgia turns out to be just as crazy, if not more so, than daddy dearest. Benito Valenzuela makes an appearance here too...another hombre loco! (If you have read KA's Chaos series then you know whom which I speak.)

I'm glad I didn't give up...a couple of times this book brought me to tears. Such emotional discoveries and realizations happen to Livvie that you start to understand it's all an act and the coldness she projects in just herself trying to protect all the good emotions (love, hope, trust) that have a small glimmer in her soul.

So in the end, just like Livvvie, I put my trust in Sebrimg and hope for the best. ( )
  ChachaJ | Feb 1, 2021 |
We met Sebring in Knight, book 1 of the series.
Redemption is one of the things KA does best.
The setting of the book is at times in a sex club.
HEA.
  izzied | Oct 29, 2020 |
Perfection

What a way to end this series. I was right thinking that Nick was going to blow the others away. KA definitely saved the best for last. This man came a long way from the first book. All I can say is that Chapter 25 was one of the most epic love gestures and moments that I have ever read. Olivia is a lucky lady.

Hard to say goodbye to this series. I'm glad I stuck it out because this was so worth it. Just hearing the mention of past characters from other series and previous cameos from the characters in this one made me so happy. This author truly is exceptional. ( )
  MagicalRi | Dec 22, 2019 |
Nick wants to avenge the murder of his FBI girlfriend by her family and he's going to use her as his way in. She first meets him in a private club watching BDSM scene which turns into them having sex against the wall. They begin with just being a hookup but Nick quickly finds himself falling for her. Her family are gangsters and she's part of the business whether she wants to be or not. There's is a rocky road, this is no pretty tale, but one I could not put down.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Summary
Nick Sebring has come along way and has his own demons to fight. He has changed since being the rebellious Sebring brother. While working undercover, his fellow agent and the woman he fell in love with was shot in front of him and its been four years and he vows justice for what he has lost, losing the one person that changed him for the better. His target is to get a foothold in the Shade crime family, and bring down the man behind everything and bringing down their organization. Olivia Shade, is one of the two daughters of the Shade Crime Family. Olivia has been stuck in a tough position, she is different from her sister and her parents. Her hands aren't white clean, but she is a practical prisoner, she once tried to escape and her own father burned her back with oil and she knew she could never escape and will always be under their thumbs. Her only escape was a private club, where she meets Nick Sebring. Nick has ulterior motives, but soon his heart start to get involved with Olivia, and finding a way to be together with her family more dangerous than ever, might be impossible with their lives intact.
Plot and Story Line
In Sebring, the long awaited story of Nick's story. Now when we first meet Nick in the first book "Knight" he is a ass plain and simple. Like seriously, he isn't the type of bad boy you would want to be with. He has some serious issues with his brother at the time. Now, however he is a completely different person. Working undercover for the government and falling in love changed him for the better. We get introduced to a man that is heartbroken. He has just lost his girl in the most horrific way possible, and barely survived himself. This is what sets us off with the story so it really draws you in. Then we skip four years, where Nick has been watching the whole Shade Family. But his focus is on Olivia, she is his way in. Now I will say that as a whole I enjoyed this book quite a bit, however it is probably my least favorite of the series. I wasn't a huge fan of the way these two get together. Pretty much just have sex like bunnies for quite some time, it felt like a bit too much at times. Now I started to really enjoy the story when they start to open up to each other. So Nick was such a great hero in this book, I love seeing the good changes in his characters and seeing his closeness with his brother and Anya and their two little girls. Our heroine Olivia is actually quite likable. I like how she has a good heart especially when you see how crazy her father and sister are especially. She is in a tough spot but she does what she can. She has always dreamed of being safe and free and it was quite heart wrenching at times seeing what she goes through here. But I love how committed Nick is to freeing Olivia from her psychotic family.

“And I’m the man who’s got two priority missions. To get you free of a life you hate and to get you to a place that you smile, frequently and easily.”

We see how their romance is very forbidden, since it could cost them their lives if they get caught. So yeah there is quite a bit of intensity and suspense in this story and this is where we see their relationship really develop. And this is where I started to fall in love with the story. I loved the way everything plays out in the end and seeing how hard Nick has to work and grovel to get to his HEA!!
The Narration
I just am loving this narrator so much, her voice is so pleasant to listen to and she really conveys the emotions just right for the story. Definitely looking forward to listening to more of her work soon.
The Cover
I absolutely love love LOVE this cover, such a beautiful scene here!!
Overall View
Sebring is a hot and intense read that will keep you on the edge of your seat, a story of sacrifice, healing and love!!

You've made me safe.

You've made me free.

You've made me happy. ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 23, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 156,990,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible