Yesterday's Thief: An Eric Beckman…

Yesterday's Thief: An Eric Beckman Paranormal Sci-Fi Thriller

by Al Macy

What do a P.I, a deputy policeman, and a neurosurgeon have in common? The P.I has a secret that the neurosurgeon knows about, and the policeman has a hunch about.

The year is 2020 in San Francisco. Many things have changed, many things have advanced. Earthquakes are abundant, and there are mandatory power outages. Some things never change though, a mysterious woman (Viviana) has appeared during a baseball game with her pinky embedded in the umpire's skull. From the start of Yesterday's Thief, you can already tell that the three main characters are good friends. What ties them all together is the P.I's big secret- he admits guilt to manipulating them in the beginning of the friendship, but over the years it has a grown to a genuine relationship. Because of his secret, Eric, the P.I, is able to help not only the neurosurgeon, but also the policeman, in the hunt for information about the mysterious woman. Eric, although written as a nice man, doesn't seem to quite have his life together. He doesn't want to abuse his secret, but it's evident he is not the best when it comes to money management. He earnestly wants to make it as a P.I but business hasn't been booming. His heart is set on figuring out the mystery of the woman who appeared. Throughout the book, you are taken on adventure after adventure. Eric knows the woman's secret, and using his P.I abilities is able to track down (almost) her every move. What starts as a cat and mouse game, starts to develop into romance. Viviana needs help tracking down her Uncle, who may or may not be alive. Following clues, and logical deduction, the pair track down her Uncle and come across something that can be used to help the state of failure the world seems to be going towards. If you enjoy quick wit, and building suspense, which leads to non-stop page turning action, I highly recommend Yesterday's Thief. ( )
  mspoet569 | Aug 18, 2018 |
This will be my last review of 77 books read for 2017, twelve books over my planned goal of 65. I would have loved to exit 2017 with a blockbuster but the book as only okay. I thought this book to be a couple of characters looking for a plot. However, the book did allow me to complete an ABC reading challenge of reading 26 books beginning with a different letter of the alphabet.

The protagonist of this novel is Eric Beckman, former neuroscientist and current private investigator. The impetus for the career change is unclear but might lie with the fact that he possesses the ability to read others' thoughts. (The backstory behind this skill is not addressed.) The only other person who is aware of Eric's gift is friend and former colleague, Craig Porter, a neurosurgeon. He calls Eric to consult on a case regarding a young naked woman who appeared from the air during a baseball game, her hand merged in the cranium of the umpire. After transport to the hospital and finger amputated, she lies in comatose state. Dr. Porter hopes that Eric might learn more about her identity if she can read her thoughts.

The story eventually involves time travel which is not explained, a hurried and meandering romance with the young woman, and a thwarted theft of an energy ball (I love this technological language!) from the woman's uncle who invented the aforementioned time machine.

The novel had it humorous moments, such as when Eric loiters in the financial district hoping to obtain insider information regarding future industrial development which might impact the stock market. However, superfluous characters serving very little purpose for the plot and questionable motivation for characters actions. ( )
  John_Warner | Dec 31, 2017 |
Available Kindle Unlimited but I got it free through library thing same as the other one Sanity's Thief this one. Odd story, enjoyable but odd, very odd. Held my attention and all, just a bit confusing here and there so unsure whether that was the writing or the reading of it to be totally fair as sometimes read with kindle for pc and sometimes let audio take over with those programs.. ( )
  Key_Largo | Feb 5, 2017 |
  Key_Largo | Jan 23, 2017 |
Yesterday's Thief revolves around P.I Dr. Eric Beckman, who has a doctorate in neurobiology and also happens to be able to read minds. Only one person knows his secret his college friend and neurosurgeon and use his friends skill to help find out things about coma patients. Eric is called in to consult when I women materialised in the middle of a baseball field in the middle of a game. This starts the journey into time travel, jewelery thief, and a world where there is a shortish of electrify.

The concept of the book was really interesting, and the story was very fast passed the only problem that the story is so jam pack that i found it a little difficult to keep up and not get to confused with the different threads of the story. I am interested to see what happens next with Eric and his friends as Al Macy has created so many interesting character in this book. ( )
  dyslexicreader | Nov 24, 2016 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Al Macy's book Yesterday's Thief: An Eric Beckman Paranormal Sci-Fi Thriller was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Al Macy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,799,389 books! | Top bar: Always visible