Jilting the Duke (The Muses' Salon Series)…

Jilting the Duke (The Muses' Salon Series)

by Rachael Miles

My favorite thing about regency romance books is the witty banter. I love the sharp back and forth, and most importantly, I love to laugh. And right now, I need a laugh. I need encouragement for starting over. Just before reading this book, my husband ambushed me by telling me he wanted a divorce. To say I wasn’t expecting it would be a gigantic understatement.

Humor is my go-to method of lifting myself out of a bad mood. So, when I saw I had a regency romance next on my TBR, i was excited. I thought this was just the remedy to distract my mind. But, Jilting the Duke is not a fun and flirty romance full of witty banter. It is about a grieving widow, Sophia Gardiner, who harbors deep secrets and hurts. She is reconnected with her first love Aidan Somerville, who is still nursing a broken heart after she left him. Throw into the mix some espionage and danger, and you get Jilting the Duke.

At first, I was disappointed because this was not the book I had hoped to read. However, as I kept reading, I realized this was the book I needed to read. Over the course of the book, Sophia overcomes her hurts and disappointments and rediscovers herself. The same can be said for Aidan. Also, they solve the mystery. And thankfully, I didn’t entirely figure out the mystery before the end. I hate when I figure things out early. No fun.

This is the first book in Rachael Miles new series The Muses Salon. I felt a connection with Sophia (probably because of my current situation, but so what?), and that alone makes me interested to read book 2. I also enjoyed Sophia’s artistic pursuits, and it inspired me to get back into my own artistic endeavors. That is a good feeling. The mystery added another layer to the book, which I also enjoyed. There are not a lot of sex scenes in the book, but what is there is well-written and not at all cheesy.

I give this book a solid B or 3 starts. If you are looking for the sharp humor and spunky heroine of other regency romances, this book is probably not for you. However, this book does have a satisfying mystery and quieter romance that will satisfy many readers.

But, will my mom like it? Definitely. This is the kind of thoughtful book she would enjoy.

Favorite quotes (again, heavily affected by my current mood and circumstances):

“The transformation from manuscript to printed books offered Sophia the hope that somehow meaning could still come from the disorder of her life. Perhaps she could yet become what she was meant to be.”

“Perhaps a visit to the nursery later to see how Lily was enjoying her studies would alleviate some of the plaintive loneliness that surprised Sophia at some point each day.” ( )
  asoutherngirlreads | Jun 27, 2016 |

When Aidan Somerville, Duke of Forster, is named the guardian to his deceased best friend's young son, he is forced to work with the boy's mother, Sophia Gardiner, to whom he was engaged before he went off to war.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,534,307 books! | Top bar: Always visible