I Met Someone by Bruce Wagner

I Met Someone

by Bruce Wagner

Bruce Wagner's newest book, 'I Met Someone,' tells the story of a Hollywood starlet who is searching for a daughter she had many years ago while also dealing with the emotional strife of losing an unborn child. Admittedly, this isn't a book that I would normally be drawn to, but after seeing it surface over and over on lists of recommendations, I thought I would see what all the hype is about.

Marketed as an emotional thriller, I was expecting to need a full box of tissues and maybe a therapy session or two. But it wasn't that sort of book - not to say it was a disappointment, but it certainly wasn't what I was expecting. What it was, however, was what I felt was a very human portrayal of what this character was going through. You see, so often we read characters that are awesome in the book, but would never be a real person outside of the novel. But with Bruce Wagner's writing, you always get the sense that these very well could be real people that we are reading about.

Recently I've really been into books that are beautifully written. There's something to be said for escaping into a world that is so eloquently presented that you feel it almost sparkles a bit. I am in awe of the brilliant writing that Bruce Wagner brings to this book. Whether it's describing a beautiful day on set or the drab reality of losing a child, the wording is simply stunning.

What did I think?: I liked this book, but I didn't love it. There were many things that I felt were done well: the settings were perfectly explained, the writing was beautiful, and I felt that the character presentations were very well done and accurate. However, I couldn't get past the name dropping or pretentiousness that some of the characters seemed to embody. I know it's Hollywood and there is an expected sense of self-righteousness, but it felt almost over the top and exaggerated in an otherwise fascinating story.

Who should read it?: If you enjoy beautiful writing, you will not be disappointed by this one. But I think the perfect reader would be someone who finds themselves enamored by the glitz and lifestyles of the rich and famous.

WEBSITE | TWITTER | FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM ( )
  tipsy_writer | May 19, 2016 |
Upon learning Bruce Wagner has a new book coming out, my heart nearly skips a beat. I was in love with I'll Let You Go, Still Holding, and I'm Losing You, and I enjoyed Force Majeure and The Chrysanthemum Palace. I Met Someone sounded as delicious as the first three and I delved into it with gusto. Like the others, he gets dialog and the fake-y nuances of Hollywood conversations just right. But by the third chapter I realized I was reading nothing that was so original or profound as I felt his others were. It felt borrowed from his earlier books, and I was recalling the series Trans, which while I love it, was not something I wanted to read in print. I Met Someone felt like another Hollywood gossipy soap opera with familiar story lines...cliches, really which is sinful coming from the great talent that Bruce Wagner is.
  ShelBeck | Apr 24, 2016 |
I picked up I Met Someone because it used the words “Hollywood actress” in the synopsis and that is a junk food reading trigger for me. Add “emotional thriller” and I’m there. My bad. No, actually, the author’s bad because if he had held true to the core of the plot as a contemporary drama about a Hollywood lesbian power couple and owned the bling, extravagance, and superficiality of that lifestyle the novel might have worked. Adding in ancillary plots about a teenage hacker who works for Anonymous, is estranged from his father, whose mother is a stand-in for the actress, some twists involving the healthcare system, being forced to give a child up for adoption and well, it goes on from there.

Even then, the novel could have been outrageous, campy fun or satire. Instead what is essentially a Jackie Collins plot is wrapped in Faulknerian prose. I Met Someone is bedazzled with five words when only one was needed leaving the book to sink under its own weight. ( )
  cathgilmore | Mar 31, 2016 |

An emotional thriller by novelist Bruce Wagner, I Met Someone is the story of a fictional Hollywood marriage on the precipice of disaster—and an enthralling meditation on the world in which we live.

Bruce Wagner’s I Met Someone is the story of Oscar award-winning actress Dusty Wilding, her wife Allegra, a long-lost daughter, and the unspeakable secret hidden beneath the glamor of their lavish, carefully calibrated, celebrity life. After Allegra suffers a miscarriage, Dusty embarks on a search for the daughter she lost at age sixteen and uncovers the answer to a question that has haunted for decades. With riveting suspense, Wagner moves between the perspectives of his characters, revealing their individual trauma and the uncanny connections to each other's past lives. I Met Someone sends the reader down a rabbit hole of the human psyche, with Wagner’s remarkable insights into our collective obsession with great wealth and fame, and surprises with unimaginable plot turns and unexpected fate. Alternately tender, shocking, and poetic, I Met Someone is Wagner’s most captivating and affecting novel yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 27 Jan 2016 00:09:04 -0500)

"An emotional thriller by novelist Bruce Wagner, I Met Someone is the story of a fictional Hollywood marriage on the precipice of disaster--and an enthralling meditation on the world in which we live. Bruce Wagner's I Met Someone is the story of Oscar award-winning actress Dusty Wilding, her wife Allegra, a long-lost daughter, and the unspeakable secret hidden beneath the glamor of their lavish, carefully calibrated, celebrity life. After Allegra suffers a miscarriage, Dusty embarks on a search for the daughter she lost at age sixteen and uncovers the answer to a question that has haunted for decades. With riveting suspense, Wagner moves between the perspectives of his characters, revealing their individual trauma and the uncanny connections to each other's past lives. I Met Someone sends the reader down a rabbit hole of the human psyche, with Wagner's remarkable insights into our collective obsession with great wealth and fame, and surprises with unimaginable plot turns and unexpected fate. Alternately tender, shocking, and poetic, I Met Someone is Wagner's most captivating and affecting novel yet"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,937,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible