Hope in the Land (Amish Turns of Time) by…

Hope in the Land (Amish Turns of Time)

by Olivia Newport

144683,257 (4)None

Hope in the Land by Olivia Newport is the fourth book in an Amish Turns of Time series. It is 1936 in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania (in the midst of the Great Depression). Gloria Grabill runs a busy farm (and has a husband as well as many, many children). Gloria and her husband, Marlin have many children to support as well as their cousin, Lillian (who is indeed a trial) who is currently staying with them. Then Henry Edison arrives. Henry is a new government employee with the WPA (Works Progress Administration), and they are conducting a survey (an in-depth survey). The survey is to find out the domestic contributions of farm women (vegetable gardens, canning, eggs, chickens, etc.). Gloria knows nothing about the survey. Turns out that Polly (nineteen-year-old daughter) filled it out and turned it in. Since Gloria has no time to assist, she refers Henry to Polly (who is very good at mathematics). Polly wants nothing more than to settle down and marry Thomas Coblentz. But is that really the right thing for Polly?

Minerva Swain is the Grabill’s Englisch neighbor. Gloria finds Minerva a pain in her you-know-what (they went to school together and ended up living next door to each other). Minerva thinks she is better than the Grabill’s and likes the finer things in life (despite the depression). Minerva is particularly fascinated with catalogs, mail order, and COD (cash on delivery). Minerva is going down a dangerous path. What happens when her husband finds out the extent of her spending? And then there is the shed (a big shed). Minerva needs help and it looks like Gloria Grabill is the solution. Is this a chance for the two women to come together and be friends? Come join Minerva, Polly, Gloria, Henry, and more in Lancaster County to find out what happens to them.

Hope in the Land was a good book. I was engaged right from the beginning. The novel contains humor, romance, friendship, life lessons, and a little mystery. I give Hope in the Land 4 out of 5 stars (I liked it). I liked seeing what farm life was like during the 1930s as well as the difference between an Amish family and an Englisch family. It is a Christian novel which added just the right touch to the story. I will definitely be reading more books by Oliva Newport.

I received a complimentary copy of Hope in the Land from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | May 2, 2016 |
Olivai Newport's book, Hope in the Land, is a snapshot during the Depression Era of Lancaster County, PA. of two families, the Grabills (Amish) and the Swains (Englishers). Henry Edison is working for the government to complete a study on self-sufficiency of the Amish and the Non-Amish Farm Households. His first household is the Grabills who extend to him hospitality by allowing him to stay on their farm during the period of his research. During his stay he learns more than expected about the Amish and their neighbors and how they manage during this era of economic downturn. The reader also meets Polly Grabill who feels out of place among her family, her talents do not lie in baking, cooking, tending chickens or gardening. Instead, her talent is being able to calculate facts and fingures and having a keen memory which she feels is not useful for the farming life. But Polly learns her gift is useful. There is also some rivalry among Mrs. Grabill and Mrs. Swain that comes to light during the course of the story. How each will respond is a choice that must be made. Will that choice bring them together or tear them further apart? This story is based on the fact that an actual study was done during this time period examining the households of Amish and Non-Amish. A slow, thoughtful read that makes the reader feel as though he/she are part of the storyline. I received this book free to review for BarBour Publishing. ( )
  gcclibrary | Apr 10, 2016 |
In Lancaster County, it is the time of the Depression during the Thirties. Hope in The Land by Olivia Newport is mainly about two Amish families: the Grabills and the Swains. The Grabills are the biggest family of the two. What makes the novel interesting is the relationship between Minerva Swain and Gloria Grabill, how people lived through the Depression and the values of the Amish in their community. Growing up, I lived only a couple hours from Lancaster County. So I felt a bit homesick remembering my father's visits to the farmer's market when the Amish came to town.

In the novel, it's surprising to see two women acting out against one another especially since one woman is Amish. Gloria is Amish. Minerva is English. They have known and disliked each other since school age. Still, it is hard for each to come together in one room together. I felt that Minerva came across as the coldest and the grumpiest and the one who seemed very sensitive. Gloria seemed more easy going. I felt this portrayal was unfair. I suppose when there are relationship problems one person is worse than the other person? I couldn't help but think that Olivia Newport might have prejudicial feelings towards Gloria's character. Because Gloria is Amish and Minerva is English. . Ironically, the daughters of these two women, Rose and Polly get along fine together. Every decision Minerva makes seems wrong. She seems sneaky and cantankerous. I think Minerva deserved some understanding. No one is totally made up of a bad attitude.

I especially enjoyed reading about the neighborliness in the Amish community. For one dinner night, there are about eighteen people at the table. Henry, a guy who is going to ask the farmer wives questions, is included in the meal. He has just met the family and Gloria says their is plenty of room. All the neighbors and family need to do is scooch over. I laughed. There is a willingness to help one another when problems happen. When Polly hurts her foot in the field and Sylvia becomes ill, Rose offers to help with the farm work. While thinking of Sylvia, I would have liked to know more about the fever.

I felt very sad to learn about how farmers suffered during the Depression. Family names are posted in store windows and other areas. To let the farmers know they had indeed lost their land. There is always plenty going on with these people whom we only see as horse and buggy riders.Their desires and relationships are not much different from ours. However, we do like electricity.olivianewport.com/about-me/
(Barbour Publishing) ( )
  Tea58 | Apr 7, 2016 |
The time of this book is the 1930’s and takes place in Lancaster Pennsylvania, but it could be anywhere in the U.S., it is depression time, and the also a sever drought, dust bowl.
College educated Henry Edison has secured one of President Roosevelt’s WPA jobs, and glad to work. His car dies as he arrives at the Grabill Amish home, and they open their doors to him. The family takes him under their wing, and especially Polly helps him with his fact finding.
We also meet the Swains, the Grabill’s English neighbors, and particularly Minerva, who was a nemesis to Gloria when they grew up. So I instantly didn’t like her, but some things are deceiving and I am quick to judge, or was I?
Polly is a good friend with the Swain’s daughter Rose, and we find that they both have big hearts. Again Minerva gets on my nerves with how she wants to rein in Rose, but Rose will have none to do with it, and shares her gifts with all.
This is a time when good people end up stealing to survive, and we find lunch pails, and pies and canned goods going missing. Was a bit surprised that Polly’s friend, or was it Lena? Is going around with wagonloads of food, or canned goods? What is going on?
There is also a bit of romance for Henry, but can it last with him in Lancaster and his girl in Philadelphia? Or will he find someone right under his eyes, sometimes people are very blind, and is this person someone that is even available to him?
People seem to be struggling to survive everywhere, and lots of people are on the move, and it seems those that ended up here, even for a little while were better off.
Come and get a glimpse at a hard time in our country, an interesting read.
I received this book through Net Galley and Barbour Publishing, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Apr 4, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 163409655X, Paperback)

When Henry Edison turns up in Lancaster County to survey farm women about their domestic contributions during the 1930s, the last thing Amish housewife Gloria Grabill has time for is the government agent s unending questions. Gloria s hands are already full with a farm to run alongside her husband, a houseful of children, and an English neighbor, Minerva Swain, who has been trying Gloria s patience for forty years. Gloria s oldest daughter, Polly, wants nothing more than the traditional path of an Amish farmer s wife, but everything she does seems to push Thomas Coblentz further away. While the Great Depression shadows the country in gloom, can Amish and English neighbors in Lancaster County grasp the goodness that will sustain hope?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 26 Jan 2016 21:38:41 -0500)

When Henry Edison turns up in Lancaster County to survey farm women about their domestic contributions during the Great Depression, the last thing Amish housewife Gloria Grabill has time for is the government agent's questions. Gloria's hands are already full trying to balance farm life, with a husband, children, an extended family, in addition to an English neighbor, Minera Swain. While the Great Depression shadows the country in gloom, can Amish and English neighbors in Lancaster County grasp the goodness that will sustain hope?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,530,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible