Destined (By the Fates) by Patricia D. Eddy

Destined (By the Fates)

by Patricia D. Eddy

611,807,626 (3)None

OK, let's start with the fact that the blurb warns you that there will be "a tender love story between a human woman and a witch" but not that there will be a rape in the prologue. Saying taht there's torture and abuse is not enough.

So, TW rape.

Also,

I'm white so I'll only leave here this link which tells you why calling a black woman 'exotic' is Not A Good Thing. Seònaid is also the only person calling everyone sir or ma'am and while she is a newcomer nobody calls her that.

The blurb will also tell you "When the secret is revealed, Ami is shattered. Will she overcome Seònaid's betrayal? Can she ever trust her again?" And?? What betrayal?? Seònaid did nothing wrong and simply assumed that poeple she is ment to work with were informed about the specifics of her end of the deal. She wanted to reveal the truth as soon as she realised that wasn't a thing. Ami got through an awful traumatic experience and can't control her triggers but there was no betrayal. Seònaid just existed.

Ami's PTSD was described quite well but people around her acted like they get to decide what kind of help she needs instead of listening to her (and those people include another rape victim).

Seònaid and Ami's relationship goes from instant attraction to i don't trust you because you can do this thing that triggers me even though this thing is why you came here and it's another person's fault that we don't know to something, something let's use this thing that triggers me also love (I skimmed a lot at this point... And, of course, Ami doesn't choose her triggers. But Seònaid should not be the villain in this. I don't know what was going on during something something... Maybe it had some Not Totally Bad points but I wasn't present for them...)

The book also includes another relationship between Ami's brother and his mate and hmmm... it's super bland.

This was the first book I've read in this series and the world where there's nothing for you after your mate dies so you choose to die as well?? That sounds like a creepy and toxic idea... ( )
  localbeehunter | Jan 15, 2019 |

Patricia D. Eddy is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,655,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible