Dreama's Destiny (Strangers of Darkness ~…

Dreama's Destiny (Strangers of Darkness ~ Book One)

by Mindy Bigham

212,551,640NoneNone
Recently added byK.C.Gray, BookJunkette

No tags.

Whew!!! This was one hot and steamy read! This is more an erotic fantasy with supernatural beings (vampire and witch for this book) than a fantasy book with sexual scenes. Even still, the world-building kept me interested, and the smooth and easy writing style allowed me to fall into the narrative.

As always, with an honest review, there are some negatives I feel obligated to outline.

The biggest issue for me were the overabundance of grammatical errors. Yes, the writing style was easy, meaning the rhythm of the sentences they created really allowed for a fairly easy read, but missing commas and homophones throughout pulled me from the narrative from time to time.

Another issue was the alternating POVs (Point of Views). The story alternated between Dreama and Zane, and there were spaces signaling with the narration switched from one POV to the other, but the formatting of the ebook left some of those spaces unnoticeable, which translated into apparent sudden POV switches, which sometimes pulled me from the story.

Lastly, I had a bit of an issue with the crafting of the characters. For the most part, I could handle the fact that the main characters felt one-dimensional. Dreama and Zane are madly in love with one another, and that's pretty much all the audience hears about. Zane owns his own business, and Dreama is a painter, but aside from the initial introduction to the characters (the first couple of chapters), they are not shown doing anything other than each other (for some strange reason, I was okay with this).

Along those same lines, in the beginning of the novel, it felt like the narrator was painting Dreama as a shy, passive person, but all of Dreama's actions in the book only showed a self-sure, aggressive woman. Many of these scenes began with a sentence or two speaking about how Dreama was usually passive, but at this moment she was too tired/pissed off/worn out/etc., and so she acted in a more aggressive manner. Don't get me wrong, I like aggressive Dreama and her character is interesting in some respects, but either she should be shown to be passive in the beginning and then allow the audience to see how/why she started being a bit more aggressive, or she should stay as she is and the narrator shouldn't try so hard to convince the audience that Dreama is passive when never once is she shown to actually be that way.

Even with the negatives, I still had to give this four stars. After all, I finished it in one read, and never once could I pull myself from the story.
  K.C.Gray | Oct 24, 2016 |

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,932,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible