The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and…

The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy

by Blaine T. Bettinger

I read this book on Kindle. A word to the wise: There are a lot of books that really cannot be read as an e-book. This book is loaded with graphs and tables and tiny illustrations that cannot be rendered by Kindle yet are key to understanding the subject material. In fact, I'd venture to say than no scientific textbook should be made an e-book. You lose too much. ( )
  dangnad | Nov 25, 2017 |
Excellent! ( )
  genpaschke | Nov 9, 2017 |
The most topical and comprehensive publication on genetic genealogy. There are several publications available, today, none come close. A lawyer and biochemist, author, clearly describes the differences and strengths of various genealogical tests available. He focuses on the 'big three companies.' The science is clearly described; highlited topics focus on deeper genetic science. Valuable bibliography. ( )
  Jaimeee | May 9, 2017 |
To my paternal grandparents Roy Harry and Laurentine Loverna (Mullin) Bettinger, and my maternal grandparents Theodore Roosevelt and Jane Rose (Garcia) LaBounty.
Introduction
Genealogical records are not that perfect. Our ancestors had poor memories just like we do. They bent the truth to make themselves younger or seem more favorable just like we do, and they made up stories just like we do. In addition, genealogical records can be altered, improperly transcribed or recorded, or completely lost, even in the years immediately after their creation.
Genetic Genealogy Basics
Genealogists are family historians, documenting known information about a family and using historical records to recreate and recover information that has been lost due to time and distance. As a result, personal possessions like family Bibles, wartime letters, and dusty daguerreotypes are among the most treasured items a genealogist can receive from an ancestor or relative. These possessions are often unique and reveal information that may otherwise be lost. Passing down these treasured family records and keepsakes is an important tradition that preserves memories for future generations.

A plain-English guide that explains the how and why of genealogy DNA testing. Bettinger gives you advice on choosing the right test to answer your specific genealogy questions, and helps you demystify and interpret the test results. He also discusses the ethics and future of genetic genealogy, and how adoptees can benefit from it.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,352,848 books! | Top bar: Always visible