Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy…

Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman

by Lindy West

Not knowing much about Lindy West until her memoir exploded on the book world, I had no idea what to expect when starting Shrill. I did know she was a feminist. I knew she had to close out her Twitter account because she had so many people trolling her. I also knew that friends kept recommending it as a must-read memoir. So I took their advice, and I am glad I did.

It is difficult to imagine anyone not finding Ms. West’s history compelling. She finds humor in the most painful of stories, but she does not use it to deflect her pain. Instead, she allows readers to see her pain and uses humor to lessen the blow as well as show her recovery from it. She uses that vulnerability to show others that we as women can survive. Not only that but that we should survive because when we do we win. Her ultimate message is that the bullies win when we stay quiet, when we submit to their expectations of us, when we fail to speak. When we find our voice, we win because we get them talking and talking is learning. It is a powerful message, and one that could not be more timely.

This message does come with a price, and Ms. West has most definitely paid that price. She has experienced pretty much all of the crap this shitty society of ours can throw at her. She had to learn to survive in a world that continues to attempt to shame her for her body size. She had to deal with those who look down their noses at her decision to have an abortion. She has had to fight for recognition in her relationship, in her work, and for her beliefs. She had to learn to shrug off the trolls. The fact that she doesn’t hide who she is, what she believes, or who she supports only serves to rally her opponents, and she had to learn not to care. The fact that she is able to explain all of this with grace is a testament to her inner strength.

I may not have known much about Ms. West when I started the audiobook, but now I do. Ms. West is a remarkable woman who is beautiful, intelligent, funny, and generous. She is a woman who wants to spare others her pain and who fights for those who cannot. She is a woman to watch and a woman to emulate. We could all use more Lindy Wests in our lives.
  jmchshannon | Mar 21, 2017 |
Lindy West is one of those admirable people who can identify and articulate a problem that I can only see as a problem but not express why it is so bad. She takes on fat shaming and rape culture in a way that should have everyone nodding their heads in wondrous agreement then takes on the trolls who want to see her raped, mutilated and murdered for voicing her opinion. And she has reasonably expressed view of abortion. Highly recommended. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Jan 19, 2017 |
Brassy and wonderful, West's essays are a true glimpse into what it is like to be female in the world ,digitally and otherwise. ( )
  Brainannex | Jan 19, 2017 |
Some parts of this book did not interest me (I have no use for comedy culture or Twitter), but the writings on fat stigma (while recognizing White privilege), abortion, and feminism in general are wonderful. Recommended for all libraries. ( )
  librarianarpita | Jan 4, 2017 |
feminism, body positivity, and some heartwarming stories, all while making me laugh. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
For Dad
Why is, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" the go-to small talk we make with children?

Hailed by Lena Dunham as an "essential (and hilarious) voice for women," Lindy West is ferociously witty and outspoken, tackling topics as varied as pop culture, social justice and body image. Her empowering work has garnered a coast-to-coast audience that eagerly awaits SHRILL, her highly-anticipated literary debut.

West has rocked readers in work published everywhere from The Guardian to GQ to This American Life. She is a catalyst for a national conversation in a world where not all stories are created equal and not every body is treated with equal respect. SHRILL is comprised of a series of essays that bravely shares her life, including her transition from quiet to feminist-out-loud, coming of age in a popular culture that is hostile to women (especially fat, funny women) and how keeping quiet is not an option for any of us.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 01 Feb 2016 22:13:30 -0500)

57 wanted2 pay5 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,207,042 books! | Top bar: Always visible