Shrill by Lindy West

Shrill

by Lindy West

Recently added bydananas, potenza, private library, Bnickle, wisemetis, lj57, GigasCodex, thefirstdark, lena.

Delicately balanced between humour and seriousness. I could even have done without some of the jokes, even the ones that made me laugh. There's important 21st century stuff happening here about making peace with your body and refusing to make peace with casual misogyny.

But there is also good stuff about watching her father die. I may not be the standard audience for this, but I have a mother, a sister, a wife and a daughter and between the gags there was real value here. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Love Lindy West's writing, loved this book. She's basically a national treasure. ( )
1 vote Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
I bought this book when it was first published, purchased and signed by Lindy while on her book release tour. I started reading it on election day in November 2016 - assuming it would be part of a victory lap - and then had to stop when I found it too upsetting to read. According to Goodreads, I set it aside three days later. (To be fair, I found I could only handle reading fantastical books where women kicked some serious ass, often against vampires, for at least 6 months after the election.)

I picked it up again on May 1, 2018 after seeing Lindy speak live, talking about “Yes, This Is a Witch Hunt. I’m a Witch and I’m Hunting You.” (Hilarious and poignant!)

This book is more memoir than I would expect from a collection of essays. (I say that despite the fact that this book is actually described as a memoir.) She discusses growing up large in a world that isn't okay with that (I can so relate), and when she decided to say fuck you to that nonsense. Her love of comedy, the misogyny rampant in comedy, and when she decided to say fuck you to that too. Losing her father, internet trolls, and the downs and up of her romantic life.

Lots of good stuff here and I'm glad I came back to it. ( )
1 vote chavala | Dec 29, 2018 |
4.5 stars - I love Lindy West's writing. She's funny and stark. My only quibble with this book is that if you follow Lindy to much of an extent, you know the stories here. Which is fine! It doesn't make the book less fun to read or less meaningful, it's just the pitfall of a biography written by a thirtysomething comedy writer whose life has been on the internet. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
Lindy West had me actually laughing out loud as I read in bed, in the doctor's office waiting room, on the bus...

There were lots of poignant moments too. The parts about internet trolls are especially insightful and honest. I admire her a lot for taking on the dumpster fire that is internet trolls, misogyny, fatphobia, and anti-choice crusaders. She's a powerful writer, she's hilarious, and she seems like a genuinely kind and empathetic person. ( )
  jrogoff | Sep 22, 2018 |
For Dad
Why is, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" the go-to small talk we make with children?

Hailed by Lena Dunham as an "essential (and hilarious) voice for women," Lindy West is ferociously witty and outspoken, tackling topics as varied as pop culture, social justice and body image. Her empowering work has garnered a coast-to-coast audience that eagerly awaits SHRILL, her highly-anticipated literary debut.

West has rocked readers in work published everywhere from The Guardian to GQ to This American Life. She is a catalyst for a national conversation in a world where not all stories are created equal and not every body is treated with equal respect. SHRILL is comprised of a series of essays that bravely shares her life, including her transition from quiet to feminist-out-loud, coming of age in a popular culture that is hostile to women (especially fat, funny women) and how keeping quiet is not an option for any of us.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 01 Feb 2016 22:13:30 -0500)

"Presents a series of essays by the American writer and comedian, dealing with issues of body image, popular culture, feminism, and social justice,"--NoveList.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,145,870 books! | Top bar: Always visible