Shrill by Lindy West

Authors:Lindy West (Author)
Info:Hachette Books (2017), Edition: Reprint, 272 pages
Rating:***1/2

Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West

I have to admit, this book was not what I thought it would be. I was expecting a funny memoir, instead I got a pretty serious book about fat shaming, women shaming, and body acceptance. I did enjoy the book, and thought the message was an important one. I like the way Lindy stands up for herself and for women everywhere. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Delicately balanced between humour and seriousness. I could even have done without some of the jokes, even the ones that made me laugh. There's important 21st century stuff happening here about making peace with your body and refusing to make peace with casual misogyny.

But there is also good stuff about watching her father die. I may not be the standard audience for this, but I have a mother, a sister, a wife and a daughter and between the gags there was real value here. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Love Lindy West's writing, loved this book. She's basically a national treasure. ( )
1 vote Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
I bought this book when it was first published, purchased and signed by Lindy while on her book release tour. I started reading it on election day in November 2016 - assuming it would be part of a victory lap - and then had to stop when I found it too upsetting to read. According to Goodreads, I set it aside three days later. (To be fair, I found I could only handle reading fantastical books where women kicked some serious ass, often against vampires, for at least 6 months after the election.)

I picked it up again on May 1, 2018 after seeing Lindy speak live, talking about “Yes, This Is a Witch Hunt. I’m a Witch and I’m Hunting You.” (Hilarious and poignant!)

This book is more memoir than I would expect from a collection of essays. (I say that despite the fact that this book is actually described as a memoir.) She discusses growing up large in a world that isn't okay with that (I can so relate), and when she decided to say fuck you to that nonsense. Her love of comedy, the misogyny rampant in comedy, and when she decided to say fuck you to that too. Losing her father, internet trolls, and the downs and up of her romantic life.

Lots of good stuff here and I'm glad I came back to it. ( )
1 vote chavala | Dec 29, 2018 |
4.5 stars - I love Lindy West's writing. She's funny and stark. My only quibble with this book is that if you follow Lindy to much of an extent, you know the stories here. Which is fine! It doesn't make the book less fun to read or less meaningful, it's just the pitfall of a biography written by a thirtysomething comedy writer whose life has been on the internet. ( )
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
For Dad
Why is, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" the go-to small talk we make with children?

Hailed by Lena Dunham as an "essential (and hilarious) voice for women," Lindy West is ferociously witty and outspoken, tackling topics as varied as pop culture, social justice and body image. Her empowering work has garnered a coast-to-coast audience that eagerly awaits SHRILL, her highly-anticipated literary debut.

West has rocked readers in work published everywhere from The Guardian to GQ to This American Life. She is a catalyst for a national conversation in a world where not all stories are created equal and not every body is treated with equal respect. SHRILL is comprised of a series of essays that bravely shares her life, including her transition from quiet to feminist-out-loud, coming of age in a popular culture that is hostile to women (especially fat, funny women) and how keeping quiet is not an option for any of us.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 01 Feb 2016 22:13:30 -0500)

NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLERNAMED A BEST BOOK OF THE YEAR BY: NPR, ESQUIRE , The LA Times , and NEWSWEEK WINNER OF THE STRANGER GENIUS AWARDShrill is an uproarious memoir, a feminist rallying cry in a world that thinks gender politics are tedious and that women, especially feminists, can't be funny. Coming of age in a culture that demands women be as small, quiet, and compliant as possible--like a porcelain dove that will also have sex with you--writer and humorist Lindy West quickly discovered that she was anything but. From a painfully shy childhood in which she tried, unsuccessfully, to hide her big body and even bigger opinions; to her public war with stand-up comedians over rape jokes; to her struggle to convince herself, and then the world, that fat people have value; to her accidental activism and never-ending battle royale with Internet trolls, Lindy narrates her life with a blend of humor and pathos that manages to make a trip to the abortion clinic funny and wring tears out of a story about diarrhea. With inimitable good humor, vulnerability, and boundless charm, Lindy boldly shares how to survive in a world where not all stories are created equal and not all bodies are treated with equal respect, and how to weather hatred, loneliness, harassment, and loss, and walk away laughing. Shrill provocatively dissects what it means to become self-aware the hard way, to go from wanting to be silent and invisible to earning a living defending the silenced in all caps.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,367,838 books! | Top bar: Always visible