The Madness of Lord Westfall

by Mia Marlowe

1231,248,803 (4.33)None
Pierce Langdon, Viscount Westfall is mad. Everyone knows it. He fell from a tree when he was a boy and woke to hear strange voices. When the voices grow stronger as he grows older, his family commits him to Bedlam. But what he hears are the thoughts of those around him-a gift to be used in service to the Order of the M.U.S.E. Until he falls again... this time for a totally unsuitable woman. Lady Nora Claremont hides her heartbreak behind the facade of a carefree courtesan. Viscount Westfall is the most confusing man she's ever met. He seems to know exactly what she wants... and what she's thinking. Which is a dangerous thing, because what Nora wants is Pierce. And what she's thinking could expose her as a traitor to the crown.… (more)

The Order to MUSE continues with probably my favorite character, Lord Westfall. MUSE stands for Metaphysical Union of Sensory Extraordinaires, and the group is reminiscent of A League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. The Order's purpose is to prevent psychic threats to the royal family, and they use their own special powers to flush those out. Powers include sending thoughts, hearing thoughts, finding things, fire mages, water mages, and who knows what else we will get as the series continues. This series offers a nice (and steamy) break from traditional regency romance.

Lord Westfall's psychic power is that he hears people's thoughts... and the deluge of busy minds is sometimes debilitating, and sometimes makes me appear rather odd. So odd, that his uncle had him committed to Bedlam. I shudder just thinking about that place and the "treatments" they inflicted on their patient victims. Lord Westfall was an interesting and endearing character... but I always enjoy reading about characters who have been cast as mad, bad and dangerous. As you can imagine Westfall's "madness" stunted his social development - to the extent that is one of the very rare virginal heroes!

I liked Westfall so much that he really overshadowed everyone else in the book for me. So I don't have a ton to say about our heroine. Honora is a member of the demimonde, and is known about the ton as La Nora. Nora was solid heroine and I can't say that I disliked anything about her. She had a tough time after marrying a poorly physician for love and being disowned by her family. When she lost her husband in the war with France, Nora did not have many options open to her. She was a likable character... but I was just too focused on Westfall to pay her any extra attention.

I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 4 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
More romping through the paranormal of Regency England--this time including Bedlam. I do like the characters. They are very different from one another (sometimes in Regencies they can blend together), the books are heavy on romance but still interesting, and they are fun. ( )
  waclements7 | Jan 29, 2016 |
... Paranormal regency revelations!

Having been declared mad as a boy because he claimed to hear voices, Pierce Langdon, Viscount Westfall, a telepath, was subjected to the most abominable treatments devised. Placed in Bedlam by his uncle, the tortuous methods used to 'heal' him were more akin to torture .
The descriptions of the supposed healing methods are outrageous.
That was in the past. Today he is a member of the Order of the M.U.S.E. (Metaphysical Union of Sensory Extraordinaires). A highly secret organization comprising people with extra sensory gifts and headed by His Grace, the Duke of Camden , committed to the protection of King and Country.
Prinny, the Prince of Wales, is in danger. There is a move afoot to have him controlled through a substance, Fides Pulvis.
M.U.S.E. is tasked to find the substance and uncover those behind theplot. All roads lead to Lord Albemarle and his mistress the breathtaking Lady Nora Claremont.
Pierce is smitten by Lady Nora and he senses a world of heartbreak behind her carefree facade. As he comes to know her that first attraction turns to hard core, all or nothing, love. Now Pierce has to not only find the traitor, and the substance, but protect and help Lady Nora.
He is willing to go to any length--and he does.
A wonderful mix of the paranormal and regency romance that add spice and interest to an already intriguing world. I really enjoyed this more unique perspective of Regency style story!

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Sep 21, 2015 |

Belongs to Series

Emily Bryan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,691,319 books! | Top bar: Always visible