An Amish Match by Jo Ann Brown
With a baby on the way, a toddler son to care for and a run-down farm, Amish widow Rebekah Burkholder is worried for her family's future. So when a kind, hardworking Amish widower with three children proposes marriage for sensible reasons, Rebekah accepts. She'll oversee Joshua Stoltzfus's household, be a loving mother to his children and try to reach his rebellious teenager. Joshua will make a wonderful father to her young son and the little one soon to be born. But as Rebekah unexpectedly falls for her new husband, dare she hope that Joshua will reopen his heart to love, too?… (more)
    Love Comes Softly by Janette Oke (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Both feature marriages of convenience where the couple comes to love each other after marriage.

There's a lot of Amish fiction out there--some of it more well done than others. There are also a lot of Love Inspired books out there--some more well done than others. This book ticks both boxes. I felt pulled into the story almost immediately.

Given Rebekah's history, I could understand her reluctance to trust another man, especially one that had been friends with her husband. It seems though that Rebekah realizes she did ignore some telling signs during "courtship"--she also never revealed what her husband did to her to people who might help. That concerns me as I do know there is some abuse that takes place in any culture, the Amish included. I can even understand her thinking of the farm as her safe haven if history repeats itself.

I'm less understanding of Joshua. I can understand that he loved his first wife (Matilda, called Tildie) but he acts as if there's only room for loving one woman in his heart. And he acts like if he loved another woman, it would mean he didn't love Tildie. Poppycock! The fact that he's a father of 3 should have told him that he can love more than one person at a time.

Joshua appears to propose marriage partly out of a sense of duty (he vowed to make sure his friend's family was taken care of if something happened to Lloyd) and partly as a way to get his mom's matchmaking out of his hair--and not because he recognizes that he loves Rebekah. Another reviewer mentioned that this kind of marriage takes the "falling in love and choosing" out of the equation--but then again both characters did have that experience with their respective first spouses, so they have experienced it (though their experiences with it were different).

I am glad that the funeral that opened the book wasn't for Joshua's wife. I have read some books where the father remarried quite quickly because he needed a wife to care for his kids. In this case, Joshua has been a widower for a while and Rebekah a widow for less than a year, but apparently long enough that no one thought it odd that she would remarry.

The children prove to be interesting characters. Timothy, Joshua's oldest at 16, doesn't seem to know how to express himself. He's sullen and argumentative instead of trying to present reasoned arguments. Rebekah, coming in as an outsider, seems to understand his angst and is able to direct his father to possible reasons behind it. In the end, we learn he is more responsible than we thought he might be. Levi (Joshua's son) is starting to grow up and help his uncle--maybe learning a trade as he does so. He's also showing signs of taking responsibility for his own actions. Deborah (Debbie, Joshua's daughter)--I can just see her struggling to cook like her mom and failing--and also see her being the only girl. She responds to Rebekah's love and instruction, working with her to learn to cook.
Samuel (Sammy, Rebekah's son) starts out as a fearful boy and ends up learning to trust others. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Nov 3, 2018 |
"4.5 out of 5 stars! Joshua and Rebekah are both young Amish widowers who have kids (with one more on the way) and have known each other for a long time (Joshua was the best friend of Rebekah’s husband), but after Joshua’s wife passed away four years prior the families had grown apart from one another. Not long after another tragedy brings them back together, Joshua (with the encouragement from his mother) proposes to Rebekah. They bring their lives together not out of love but to help one another. Yet they both are holding secrets from each other, will they be able to overcome them to become a happy family that they both desire/deserve? Or will their secrets end up hurting them both in the long run?

I was looking for an engaging Amish romance and I found one in this enticing novel! As I read it in one day! All of the characters (Rebekah, Joshua, and their children) were..."

Read more of this review and THREE TEASERS here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2016/08/feasted-on-amish-hearts-series... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Aug 20, 2016 |
It didn’t take long for me to begin walking in Rebekah Burkholder’s shoes and become absorbed in her life and her darling three year old Sammy. When Joshua Stoltzfus’s family badgers him to remarry he thinks of Rebekah a recent widow and decides he might as well help the both of them.
Rebekah was married to one of Joshua’s best friends and he know he can never fill his shoes or replace her love for him, he is also three years widowed and still madly in love with his deceased wife.
Rebekah is keeping secrets from her new husband, and he has noticed how she flinches from his touch, will he regret his decision? His family of two sons and a daughter welcome Rebekah and Sammy and love they way the house has cleaned up and the mouth-watering meals that they are now enjoying.
Will all of this come to an end because of Rebekah’s past? Will his children decide they don’t want her in their live as a mother?
Come and enjoy this really sweet, page-turning read. I’m so glad I turned the first cover.
I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Harlequin, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Apr 19, 2016 |
Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and of good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed; for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.-Joshua 1:9
For Linda Parisi A dear friend who always makes me smile just thinking of her.
Paradise Springs, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania: The rainy summer afternoon was as dismal as the hearts of those who had gathered at the cemetery.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,795,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible