The Way of The Heart: Desert Spirituality…

The Way of The Heart: Desert Spirituality and Contemporary Ministry (original 1981; edition 1981)

by Henri J. M Nouwen (Author)

The modern classic that interweaves the solitude, silence, and prayer of the fourth- and fifth-century Egyptian Desert Fathers and Mothers with our contemporary search for an authentic spirituality.
Member:reschurch
Title:The Way of The Heart: Desert Spirituality and Contemporary Ministry
Authors:Henri J. M Nouwen (Author)
Info:Seabury Press (1981), 96 pages
Tags:Pastoral theology, Clergy

The Way of the Heart by Henri J. M. Nouwen (1981)

English (5)  Spanish (1)  All languages (6)
3.23
  collectionmcc | Mar 6, 2018 |
Comparative Religion; Mythology (No Longer Used) > Other Religions > Religion
  FHQuakers | Feb 12, 2018 |
Solitude shows us the way to let our behavior be shaped not by the compulsions of the world but by our new ind, the mind of Christ. Silence prevents us from being suffocated by our wordy world and teaches us to speak in the Word of God. Henri Nouwen invites us to search deeply for the well-springs that nourish true ministry by looking to the example of the 5th century Egyptian Desert Fathers and Mothers. Their experience in the desert taught them that spiritual survival was possible only if they found a place in their lives for solitude, silence and prayer.
  PendleHillLibrary | Aug 31, 2017 |
A delightful book merging Ancient with Contemporary spirituality through the lens of the Desert Mothers and Fathers. Spirituality in this sense is meant to bring about character transformation. Please note this is best read as a springboard to their wisdom and not the expurgated version. ( )
  revslick | Dec 31, 2013 |
It’s hard to give anything but a five star rating to Nouwen. Sometimes I suspect the man had God ghost write his books. This one, a short introduction to the Desert Fathers and Mothers, the Abbas and Ammas, meditates on silence and contemplation. Ministers, he writes, tend to be doers, caught up in parish committees and ministries of caring. (I found his constant reference to ministers puzzling. Is this written for clerics? But then again, all Christians are called to be ministers.) We forget the need for silence, alone time with God. The Desert Fathers spent years in silence with God. But that did not make them alone or apart from the world. It made them more open and compassionate with those who came to visit them. Silence and contemplation, while they are fostered by spiritual practices of prayer and meditation, are less a state of mind to engage in at times and more a state of being to live at all times. Nouwen is always an inspiration. ( )
1 vote JDHomrighausen | Aug 9, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,625,561 books! | Top bar: Always visible