Wheels of Wisdom: Life Lessons for the Restless Spirit

by Tim Bishop, Debbie Bishop (Author)

Winner, 2018 Best Book Awards, Christian Inspirational Winner, 2018 Next Generation Indie Book Awards, Christian Nonfiction Winner, 2017 National Indie Excellence Awards, Inspiration Gold Medal, 2017 Readers' Favorite International Book Awards, Devotional Bronze Medal, 2018 Illumination Book Awards, Devotional Bronze Medal, 2018 Independent Publisher Awards, Personal E-book Finalist, 2018 Next Generation Indie Book Awards, Inspirational Nonfiction Semifinalist, 2018 Kindle Book Awards, Nonfiction Looking for more out of life? After three tours totaling over 10,000 miles, Tim and Debbie Bishop have discovered wisdom and truth from the seat of a bicycle. In Wheels of Wisdom, the authors share the life lessons they learned on the open road. When you're looking for enlightenment, you can find it almost anywhere, be it from watching two herons saunter across a Florida road, pedaling to a dead-end in a Kentucky tobacco field, or observing eagles flying overhead in Montana. In each lesson of this book, you'll find practical insights, inspiration, and encouragement--along with personal reflection questions that will help you: - Adopt the right mind-set - Conquer fear, worry, and inaction - Overcome obstacles - Relish life's journey Certain principles are universal whether you are bicycling across America or chasing your own lifelong dream. Wherever you are in life, Wheels of Wisdom will give you a fresh perspective and new motivation for your own adventure. Not only will you encounter meaningful truth as you travel vicariously to new places and meet new people, you'll also experience some genuine "God moments" and have some fun on the way. So, pack up your dreams and passions and come enjoy the ride. It's time to learn on the open road!… (more)

What a great book! I had never gone on a bicycle tour before reading this book. I learned much from my virtual tour.

The authors took turns writing chapters, which gives a balanced perspective of the trip from both bikes. Every experience is shared in order to encourage the reader in life circumstances of any kind, always with an eternal perspective.

The book is not preachy in the least. It is written for believers in God and skeptics alike. This is the kind of book I enjoy most, where the author tells his experience and leaves the final conclusion to the reader.

I especially want to thank the authors for including the Final Destination chapter at the end, which clearly spells out the only way of salvation as given to us in the Bible.

I highly recommend this book to all readers. I also like the short chapter format, suitable for reading in short doses for better digestion. The questions at the end of each chapter are suitable for group discussion, brief and thought-provoking.

The writing style flows well. Though the book is self-published, I did not find any errors as I sometimes do. The quality of writing and editing is superb, the many photographs help the reader envision the actual ride, and the explanations are concise and stimulating.

I received my copy of this book from the authors in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  thesilverofhisfining | Feb 12, 2020 |
Tim and Debbie Bishop married late in life, for the first time, in their 50s. As one would imagine, after so many years of being single, a person becomes very set in their ways. Imagine then, taking a honeymoon tour on BICYCLES, coast to coast. WOW! I mean talk about refining by fire, right?

Wheels of Wisdom covers three cross-country bicycle tours Tim and Debbie embarked on, and we can glean their knowledge, not only of helps, hindrances and wisdom for short or long bicycle tours, but also their insight and intelligence from a Christian perspective.

There are six sections and 52 lessons in the book. The introductory page to each lesson explains the gist of the lesson and includes a takeaway area for you to write your notes. The 52 lessons are perfect for use as a devotional for the year, using one a week. Plus, they each end with an applicable Bible verse, along with questions, under the title “Personal Reflection.”

There were many little nuggets of truth and not a few ideas I have decided to follow and to implement in my own life. I enjoyed not only the truths I found within the book, but also the glimpses into Tim and Debbie’s lives as they navigated their way cross-country in all kinds of weather while encountering their odyssey’s inevitable challenges.

The entire chronicle is heart-warming, thought-provoking and inspirational. As I said earlier, there are many nuggets of truth. One kernel of truth Debbie relayed from a church marquee said, “A closed mouth collects no foot.” Another from the last lesson, spoken by someone they met, “Bless me into usefulness.” Both are great reminders for our journey through life!

Tim and Debbie alternately share their thoughts, feelings and observations in separate chapters. As readers, we come to appreciate the challenges they faced and the understanding and knowledge they impart.

I received a copy of the book from the authors. However, I was under no obligation to post a review. ( )
  RobbyeFaye | Nov 25, 2018 |
Wheels of Wisdom - Life Lessons For The Restless Spirit: Book Review
Certainly, you don't want to begin in a trek across the open frontier, whether by bicycle or on foot, without the bare necessities: a compass, food, water, and protection from the elements. However, you may also want to consider packing wisdom, encouragement, perseverance, and hope. Wisdom will help you make good decisions, encouragement will sustain you, and perseverance will keep you moving forward. Hope seals the success of a journey across any frontier, because it convinces you that safe arrival at your destination is possible.

As Director of Rescue for TheHopeLine, the authors have the opportunity to serve and oversee others who serve many people who lack bare necessities and are struggling to move forward. Each year, TheHopeLine engages tens of thousands of people around the globe. In the authors role, they've learned three things about the need out there: First, people are struggling regardless of location, age, occupation, ethnicity, religion or income. Second, everyone needs help sometimes.

This book is neither a theological book nor an adventure journal, though it contains elements of both.

The authors come at life from a Christian perspective. We know that not all people are in the same place in their spiritual journey - or even believe such exist.

The authors "honeymoon on wheels" occurred in the summer of 2010 shortly after they were married. They were first-time newlyweds at age fifty-two. They shared this journey in their inaugural book, Two Are Better: Midlife Newlyweds Bicycle Coast to Coast, a memoir that describes how God brought them together and then the celebration that followed on their self-supported tour from Oregon to Maine.

In 2012, they cycled from Florida to Maine on their Mom-to-Mom Tour.

Then, in 2014, the authors embarked across America yet again when they cycled from Oregon to Pennsylvania. They dedicated that tour to raising awareness and funds for a cause that is dear to their hearts. Hence, the name TheHopeLine Tour of 2014 came to be.

They share in the book that speak to recognizing your purpose and calling. Discerning right from wrong is important, but it's not always easy.

All of us were created with unique qualities, and we were not cut out for just anything.

Truly wise is a person who thinks before he speaks and says something that sticks with you.

Not all of us are wired to bicycle seventy miles a day. Have you ever asked yourself, What was I made to do? We all have unique gifts and desires. Once you discover your special attributes and devote your time to utilizing them, you'll experience deep joy and fulfillment as you live out a facet of God's calling on your life.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. JEREMIAH 29:11

When you travel to parts unknown, you need a reliable map. And when you feel you're losing your way through life, it's time to consult the road map for life - and to follow what it says.

Francis Marion National Forest was the setting for a beautiful ride on the Mom-to-Mom Tour after we left Moncks Center.

When Debbie became a Christian and finally allowed God to guide her through life, His Holy Spirit kindled her heart and stimulated her mind as she read the Bible. She could ask and to shed light on challenging passages. Studying the Bible with others has also helped illuminate its meaning for Debbie.

Just like the bicycling maps, the Bible offers more than she realized at first. No wonder it is the best-selling book in the world. The Bible has become her daily dose of wisdom, hope, and encouragement.

The Bible contains instructions that can guide you wherever you go in life. Debbie shares she is going to follow His Word as best she can, one step at a time, so she will never get lost again. Won't you join following the Bible?

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. PSALM 119:105

When you're off course, you need to take great pains to get back on course or else you will jeopardize the achievement of your ultimate goal. And, sometimes, shortcuts will only get you further off course.

Let your eyes look straight ahead, and your eyelids look right before you. Ponder the path of your feet, and let all your ways be established. PROVERBS 4:25-26

When was the last time you took a shortcut and got off track in your personal life?

You've heard it said, "Haste makes waste." Well, it's true. Take the time to do things right the first time.

As Time and Debbie headed into town, he said to Debbie, "His rear tire doesn't feel right. It's squishy."

He wrestled with the heavy, bulky bicycle and then decided to remove the panniers,because he couldn't balance the bicycle and work on it. Debbie located the tools and handed them to him. A young man who had heard their commotion from an open window emerged from the house on the corner as he removed the rear tire.

"Do you need any tools or any help?" he offered. He was wearing a T-shirt with a logo for a Christian school, which he found reassuring, he'd volunteered for years helping a Christian school with their accounting,

When they arrived in town, they pulled up to a convenience store for a break. When he looked down at the newly repaired tire, it was flat ... again. Maybe the young man at their last stop would have performed the repair more proficiently than Tim had.

Sometimes we travel through life too fast.

He has not dealt with us according to our sins, nor punished us according to our iniquities. PSALM 103:10

Do you find yourself having to repeat chores because you hurried through them the first time?

What you value most will either advance you toward your goals or prevent you from attaining them. The wrong values and priorities can derail your trek.

We'd traveled the Hi-Line for four days on our honeymoon tour.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. MATTHEW 6:21

Unexpected developments can lead to discouragement.

Rather than losing hope, be encouraged. You can get moving at a healthy pace once again.

It's important to remember these two words found throughout the Holy Bible: "Fear Not."

Fear not, for I am with you: be not dismayed, for I am your God, I will strengthen you, yes I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. ISAIAH 41:10

How can you continue to move ahead and work through your fear rather than allowing it to control you?

When we dwell on problems rather than seek encouragement and solutions, it's hard to move forward. Negative thinking will kill our efforts every time.

Debbie and Tim were both determined to move on, wiser and better prepared.

Sometimes, God sends us help when we're having trouble helping ourselves.

Debbie wondered what caused their Good Samaritans to pass their way precisely when they needed them the most. What caused them to stop?

It's confronting to know God sends the perfect helpers at just the right time. You needn't be afraid or worry when you trust in Him. Simply enjoy the ride!

But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. LUKE 10:33

How did you describe it at the time: as a chance encounter or a divine appointment? How about now?

When you experience a miracle, it's time to let others know about it.

Debbie have been amazed by the healing power of God. When she asked God to take away her bulimia back in the early summer of 1986. God hears our cry for help and healing.

Sometimes, we are healed instantly, and sometimes, it takes time. Since she became a Christian, she have had to wait a long time for some prayers to be answered. Throughout her thirties and forties, she prayed for a husband. Tim and Debbie did not get married until they were both fifty-two.

One thing I know: that though I was blind, now I see. JOHN 9:25B

When the riding gets rough, don't lose sight of the big picture. Difficult circumstances are usually temporary. You'll find relief on the other side and have a better appreciation for the blessings in life.

Encouragement feeds a soul in pursuit of worthy goals. You'll find it in most unexpected ways.

And lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. MATTHEW 28:20B

Think of three different forms of encouragement that you received in the last week.

After dinner, Debbie and Tim had joined about four hundred people of all ages already gathered in the large auditorium for worship, the program, and prayer. It was powerful. The praise band led them in worship.

Finally, a humbly prayer warrior prayed that God's extravagant would ignite a mass movement of faith in Jesus across the nation.

God makes a promise in 2 CHRONICLES 7:14 - "If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

Tim and Debbie Bishop have coauthored four books about their midlife launch into marriage, cross-country bicycle touring, and other matters of faith and inspiration.

The Bishops serve as volunteer for Hope Coaches for TheHopeLine, a nonprofit organization that seeks to reach, rescue, and restore hurting teens and young adults.

Since TheHopeLine receives its support entirely from private sources, it is often in need of funding to sustain its important work. ( )
  AngelaWatkinsRivers | Jul 17, 2017 |
This review was written by the author.
Winner, 2018 Best Book Awards, Christian Inspirational
Bronze Medal, 2018 Independent Publisher Awards, Personal E-book
Finalist, 2018 Next Generation Indie Book Awards, Inspirational Nonfiction
Semifinalist, 2018 Kindle Book Awards, Nonfiction
  TimBishop4 | Jun 8, 2017 |
A good book to read. It gives you a lot to think about as your progress through the book. ( )
  tellen81 | Apr 20, 2017 |
This is a book that will help readers shift their perspective, confront their fears and inner demons, face life with more courage and openness, and learn to enjoy the surprises that occasionally come their way.... Tim and Debbie Bishop make a beautiful offering that will enrich the lives of many. It is encouraging, inspiring, and uplifting.

While cycling across the country, Tim and Debbie learned unforgettable lessons of faith that can improve anyone's way of thinking!
added by TimBishop4 | editBookBub (Jan 17, 2017)

Impressively well written, organized and presented, "Wheels of Wisdom" is a consistently compelling, informative, and thoughtful read, highlighted with inspirations for pursuing one's goals to the finish.

Those looking for a road map for life can get directions from the Bishops…. The coauthors, who are volunteer coaches for TheHopeLine, share stories and insights cleverly separated into six thematic sections…. The book incorporates faith without unnecessary preaching.
added by TimBishop4 | editPublishers Weekly (Jun 13, 2016)

Tim Bishopprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bishop, DebbieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Tim Bishop's book Wheels of Wisdom was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Tim Bishop is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 155,632,986 books! | Top bar: Always visible