A Closed and Common Orbit

Authors:
Info:
Tags:science fiction

A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers

All Systems Red by Martha Wells (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: The ethical dilemmas and questions on the meaning of humanity inform both stories.

Brilliant. Satisfying and brilliant. At first I wasn't sure how thrilled I'd be with a story that, at least in its premise, I'd've assumed would be more suited to the short-story format, but I'm delighted to be wrong; Chambers did an excellent job fleshing out a deeply intimate story of love and belonging in a future we'd be honored to herald. ( )
  Ubiquitine | Nov 24, 2018 |
I love this book, and most importantly I love the two main characters Jane and Sinda. It is Si-fi space opera as the futuristic setting is a backdrop for a story about relationships and personal identity.
As with all Becky Chambers books the characterization is the key elements in these books, we really get to know and hang out with them and their struggles for identity and survival.
I love how this book describes the lives of two women who in their society and probably ours if cloning is perfected and AI's become sentient, are considered to be worth less than other people and are in Sinda's case illegal in her current installation. It also questions the ethical implications that go with creating a sentient creature to be a slave and potential abuses of this. On the other hand it doesn't feel like a heavy psychological text, we are just introduced to personalities who obviously have feelings and thoughts and as a species we will have to tackle these issues sometime.

For the full review check out my blog: Engrossed in a Good Book ( )
  CharlotteBurt | Nov 24, 2018 |
Better than volume one if that's possible? The intertwining stories of the protagonists weave together as we look back in time and forward to what is possible for each. These stories investigate whether and how relationships can move forward, characters develop because of one another when they do not share similar racial/species/gender norms or necessarily hold in common similar expectations and motivations. That's what makes these books unusually fun to read. ( )
  nkmunn | Nov 17, 2018 |
What Made Me Read It It's the second book in the "Wayfarers" series, following Loveface's fate after the events of book one.
The Good "A closed and common orbit" is more a companion book than a sequel to the previous volume "The long way to a small angry planet". It's set in the same vastly complex and diverse GC (Galactic Commons) universe but the plot doesn't revolve around the crew of the Wayfarer anymore and focus instead on two new characters. Like the first installment in the Wayfarers series, "A closed and common orbit" is also a character driven novel and as insightful, vividly imaginative, highly diverse and deeply emotional as the previous book. Even though there is potential for drama, chaos and conflict, the author makes it about the characters and their universal inner struggles - one AI trying to find meaning and purpose in her life and fit in a society that has banned her existence, one former slave child fighting for her freedom and personhood. Another cozy, feel-good read focused on world-building and character development that also tackles deep existential themes - identity, personhood, purpose, belonging, friendship, family... what makes us a person, how experience shapes us, finding our way and place in the world. Both Sidra and Pepper/Jane are well developed realistic protagonists, their journeys of personal growth and self-discovery are easily relatable which makes us feel for the characters and connect with them. The secondary characters Blue, the AI OWL and the Aeluon tattoo-artist Tak also have distinctive voices and personalities that add to the diversity of the Wayfarers universe.
Read the full review on: https://literaryportals.blogspot.com/2018/10/book-review-closed-and-common-orbit.html
Final Rating "A closed and common orbit" is a compelling and heartwarming space opera sci-fi novel, recommended for those who enjoy thought provoking, character driven stories in a universe full of alien and human diversity. ( )
1 vote LiteraryPortals | Nov 11, 2018 |
OMG I cried about a spaceship. ( )
  LinzFG | Oct 20, 2018 |
For my parents and for Berlaug, respectively
Lovelace had been in a body for twenty-eight minutes, and it still felt every bit as wrong as it had the second she woke up inside it.
Jane let out a sob she hadn't known was there. Oouoh sat up with a start. 'Oh - oh, what the fuck, he said. 'Shit, let's get you to the med ward, come on -'
Jane stared at him, 'What? Why? I'm fine.'
'Uh, no, you're ...your eyes are leaking.'
Jane laughed, which was heard to do while crying. 'No, no, this' she sniffed hard - 'it's just tears. It's okay.'
Oouoh was distraught. 'What about this is okay?'
'We do this. Humans do this when - when we're feeling a lot of things.'
'You leak?'

Embark on a dangerous journey through the galaxy with the motley crew of the spaceship Wayfarer in this sequel to The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,684,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible