A Closed and Common Orbit

Authors:
Info:
Tags:science fiction

A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers

Recently added byprivate library, Luetzen, AleatoricConsonance, corosto, tralliott, kbellwether
    All Systems Red by Martha Wells (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: The ethical dilemmas and questions on the meaning of humanity inform both stories.

Although this book is based in the same universe Becky Chambers first created in [The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet], its focus is entirely different. In the first book, Chambers created a space opera that centered on the diverse members of a deep space ship, while in [a Closed and Common Orbit] she writes a much more focused, personal story, without a lot of space opera elements.

This book is, however, still a wonderful read, because Chambers continues to show that she can write convincingly about different species and the way they approach their lives. In this case, it's all about AIs, the artificial intelligences that do so much in the world Chambers has created. What does it mean to be an AI? Are they capable of more than simply following instructions?

This is not a horror story about AIs taking over the world. Instead, it is a deeply human story about the need for purpose and acceptance. Highly recommended. ( )
  barlow304 | Apr 4, 2018 |
I'm still so mad about consent. so mad. ( )
  ansate | Apr 2, 2018 |
This was probably closer to 3.5 stars for me. I preferred the first book by a lot. It was just a style thing. I felt like the book took forever to get going and while I loved the characters I never became as invested in the story. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
So often the second book in a trilogy is a let-down as it becomes more of a bridge between the first and third books but I am happy to report that this is not the case with A Closed and Common Orbit by Becky Chambers. This is the second book in The Wayfarers science fiction trilogy and for me this book was even better than the first. The author wisely keeps many of the things that I loved about the first book such as the high-tech surroundings, the variety of alien species and likeable and complex main characters. She raises the bar by following the story of two of the characters from the first book, that of Pepper, street-smart ace mechanic and Lovelace the AI. Getting to know these characters up close and personal made for a wonderful reading experience.

Lovelace, now calling herself Sidra, is the AI who was installed in the ship but has now been transferred to a human-like body. She is struggling to learn how to exist in this new form. The other plot line is Pepper’s back story and her childhood as Jane 23 was truly riveting. I admit that at first I missed the camaraderie of the whole crew being together as in the first book, but it wasn’t long before these plot lines totally engrossed me and their exploration of what constitutes humanity made for an enlightening and thought provoking read. From Sidra’s claustrophobia and extreme sense of self-loss to the appalling nightmare that was Pepper’s childhood, A Closed and Common Orbit was a complete page-turner. It became very easy to root for these characters as they grew together and learned how to build trust and friendship toward one another.

I am looking forward to seeing what this inventive author will deliver in the next book. I am sure however she decides to wrap up this trilogy, it will be clever, charming and a fantastic read. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 24, 2018 |
I was so surprised to realize that there was a sequel to A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet. I loved this book as much, or possibly more, even.

Purpose is a central theme of this book. We are born without a specific purpose, yet, we all seek for purpose and find meaning through that search.

This particular book focuses on the back stories of Pepper, and of the AI forthwith known as Lovecraft. The stories are intertwined in the most lovely and lively way.

I desperately wanted to reach the end of the book to know what happened, while also dreading it being over. ( )
  BoundTogetherForGood | Mar 7, 2018 |
For my parents and for Berlaug, respectively
Lovelace had been in a body for twenty-eight minutes, and it still felt every bit as wrong as it had the second she woke up inside it.
Jane let out a sob she hadn't known was there. Oouoh sat up with a start. 'Oh - oh, what the fuck, he said. 'Shit, let's get you to the med ward, come on -'
Jane stared at him, 'What? Why? I'm fine.'
'Uh, no, you're ...your eyes are leaking.'
Jane laughed, which was heard to do while crying. 'No, no, this' she sniffed hard - 'it's just tears. It's okay.'
Oouoh was distraught. 'What about this is okay?'
'We do this. Humans do this when - when we're feeling a lot of things.'
'You leak?'

Lovelace was once merely a ships artificial intelligence. When she wakes up in a new body, following a total system shut-down and reboot, she has no memory of what came before. As Lovelace learns to negotiate the universe and discover who she is, she makes friends with Pepper, an excitable engineer, whos determined to help her learn and grow.Together, Pepper and Lovey will discover that no matter how vast space is, two people can fill it together.The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet introduced readers to the incredible world of Rosemary Harper, a young woman with a restless soul and secrets to keep. When she joined the crew of the Wayfarer, an intergalactic ship, she got more than she bargained forand learned to live with, and love, her rag-tag collection of crewmates.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 124,600,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible