The white cat and the monk : a retelling of…

The white cat and the monk : a retelling of the poem Pangur Bán (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Jo Ellen Bogart

"A monk leads a simple life. He studies his books late into the evening and searches for truth in their pages. His cat, Pangur, leads a simple life, too, chasing prey in the darkness. As night turns to dawn, Pangur leads his companion to the truth he has been seeking."--
Member:themephi
Title:The white cat and the monk : a retelling of the poem Pangur Bán
Authors:Jo Ellen Bogart
Info:Toronto ; Berkeley: Groundwood Book / House of Anansi Press, 2016.
Collections:Easies
Tags:illustrations, retelling

The White Cat and the Monk: A Retelling of the Poem "Pangur Bán" by Jo Ellen Bogart (2016)

4.25 ( )
  MagpieBricolage | Jul 17, 2021 |
The narrator of this poetic picture-book, a medieval monk and scholar who searches for meaning and answers in his precious books, observes his white cat, Pangur Ban, and compares his own quest with the mouse-hunting skills of his beloved feline...

The figure of Pangur Bán, a beautiful white cat whose talent for mousing was immortalized in a ninth-century poem, written in Old Irish by an anonymous Irish monk, has appeared in a number of children's books and films. British author Fay Sampson has written an entire fantasy series featuring this feline, beginning with Pangur Ban The White Cat, while the successful animated film, The Secret of Kells, includes a feline character of this name. This picture-book retelling of the poem pairs simple, descriptive language from author Jo Allen Bogart with lovely watercolor and ink artwork from illustrator Sydney Smith. I've been meaning to pick up The White Cat and the Monk since it was first published a few years ago, and by sheer coincidence, when I finally got to it today, I was sitting with my sister's young cats and watching their pouncing antics. This definitely improved my reading experience (kittens improve most things, I find), but even without it I would have enjoyed this one. Both text and artwork are lovely! Recommended to all young cat lovers, as well as to those seeking picture-books set in medieval Europe, or featuring an Irish cultural background. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Jul 7, 2019 |
I borrowed this book from the library but intend to order a personal copy. It is a beautiful version of Pangur Bán, a poem written over a thousand years ago. The poem has been translated many times but this illustrated version perfectly captures the solitary contemplative monk and cat. An author's note details the origin. ( )
1 vote VivienneR | Feb 17, 2017 |
This is a charming version of the Pangur Bán poem. The illustrations are simple but very effective, I loved the carpet pages and the cat is absolutely charming. I was enchanted by it and I really want a copy of my own to love. ( )
1 vote wyvernfriend | Nov 4, 2016 |
old Irish poem from 800's ... ( )
  melodyreads | Jul 11, 2016 |
The text’s subtle moral is timeless but also sings with elegiac timeliness — what a wonderful counterpoint to modern life’s hamster wheel of achievement and approval, this idea that there is poetry in every pursuit executed with purposefulness and savored with uncompetitive joy.

Jo Ellen Bogartprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smith, SydneyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I, monk and scholar, share my room with my white cat, Pangur.

The White Cat and the Monk is a retelling of the classic Old Irish poem “Pangur Bán.” With Jo Ellen Bogart’s simple and elegant narration and Sydney Smith’s classically inspired images, this contemplative story pays tribute to the wisdom of animals and the wonders of the natural world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,254,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible