The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

The Girl in the Ice (2016)

by Robert Bryndza

English (36)  Dutch (1)  All languages (37)
I discovered British Police Procedurals through Goodreads a year or so ago and am very glad that I did. I am late with this author, I have read many great reviews about DCI Erika Foster and thought I needed to get to this series. A good decision.

When a young rich socialite who has gone missing, is found a couple of days later in the ice of a pond, the police need to solve the case. DCI Erika Foster is called to resume active duty and to take over the case by Superintendent Marsh. They have worked together before and he has great respect for her talents. She has some skeletons, such as the loss of her husband in her last case that forced her leave. The DCI that was on the case is still supposed to be working with her, but there is a lot of tension between the two and working together is not what either of them have in mind. The case is also politically charged due to the social status of the victim's family (he is a Lord), who has a direct line to the Head of the Police. When two different theories are put forward, Erika is once again placed on leave while the police pursue the more palatable line of investigation. That does not mean she is going to sit by and wait. Erika does not like to follow the rules if it ties her hands in an investigation. She is also very smart, but not always subtle which causes problems. The officers working with her are loyal and do their best to help her solve the case. As more murders are tied together, Erika puts herself in danger.

This story is riveting. There were many suspects that are all plausible that you will be kept guessing. The writing was clear and precise with a thrilling, suspenseful plot. All the characters are well developed as their stories unfold throughout the book. DCI Foster is a strong female lead that I look forward to reading more about. Coming late to the party has its advantages as I can pick up the next book right away. A definite read for those who enjoy police procedurals as well as a well plotted mystery or thriller. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Thrilling serial killer book, beginning the Erika Foster detective series. Gritty, suspenseful. I can't wait to read the additional books in this series! ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
This is the debut novel in what is quite a long series (see below). I read DARK WATER first and that made me determined to follow this author, and indeed I plan to read all the series.

This debut novel begins with Detective Erika Foster returning to work, so there is quite a bit of back story to catch up on.

In some ways it is typical police procedural with plenty of noir thrown in. At one stage Erika crosses her boss who is having strings pulled by some influential people, and she is taken off the case. Erika feels an obligation to the victims she has discovered and continues her investigation unofficially, putting herself in great danger. ( )
  smik | Dec 15, 2018 |
a great summer read. Has you wondering who the murderer is until the very end. ( )
  joannemonck | Jul 17, 2018 |
The Girl in the Ice
5 Stars

Newly transferred to London, DCI Erika Foster is called in to investigate the murder of a young socialite whose tumultuous lifestyle is an embarrassment to her well-connected family. When Erika makes the connection between the murder and those of three prostitutes, her career and her very life are placed in jeopardy.

In his excellent debut, Robert Bryndza has captured the nuances of British society in general and the dynamics of police politics in particular. As his heroine navigates the murky waters of both in search of a vicious killer, one cannot help but admire her strength and resilience in the face of prejudice and adversity.

Erika Foster is a troubled woman with a traumatic past yet she never allows her personal demons to prevent her from seeking justice for the victims no matter their social class. While some reviewers may find her prickly and off-putting, it is precisely her shortcomings that make her so real and easy to identify with.

The serial killer plot is cleverly plotted with some excellent twists and turns. The climax and resolution are both exciting and satisfying and the author keeps the reader guessing right up until the end. I must say that the ending is reminiscent of a Linda Castillo book, but this does not detract from the writing.

All in all, the well-developed characters, believable situations and exciting story have gained Bryndza another admirer and I look forward to continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
For Ján, who shares my life through the comedy, and now, the drama.
The pavement glittered in the moonlight as Andrea Douglas-Brown hurried up the deserted high street. [Prologue]
Lee Kinney emerged from the small end-terrace house where he still lived with his mother, and stared up the high street at the blanket of white. [Chapter 1]

"When a young boy discovers the body of a woman beneath a thick sheet of ice in a South London park, Detective Erika Foster is called in to lead the murder investigation. The victim, a beautiful young socialite, appeared to have the perfect life. Yet when Erika begins to dig deeper, she starts to connect the dots between the murder and the killings of three prostitutes, all found strangled, hands bound and dumped in water around London. What dark secrets is the girl in the ice hiding?"--From back cover.… (more)

Robert Bryndza is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,511,584 books! | Top bar: Always visible