The Little Island: (Caldecott Medal Winner)…

The Little Island: (Caldecott Medal Winner) (Dell Picture Yearling) (original 1946; edition 1993)

by Margaret Wise Brown (Author)

Depicts the changes that occur on a small island as the seasons come and go, as day changes to night, and as a storm approaches.
Member:adrienne.wilson
Title:The Little Island: (Caldecott Medal Winner) (Dell Picture Yearling)
Authors:Margaret Wise Brown (Author)
Info:Dragonfly Books (1993), Edition: Illustrated, 48 pages

The Little Island by Golden MacDonald (1946)

This is a story about an island. And about all the animals, weather and objects that surround it. Weisgard's illustrations make me think he spent time in Maine or on Cape Cod, as the terrain, flora and fauna seems to be from New England. Brown's deliberate simple descriptions make this a memorable story. ( )
  lisaladdvt | Jun 30, 2019 |
This book personifies an island where seasons come and go, and pears grow and ripen. When a kitten comes to the island, the island tells her of a mystery: that the island is part of the land, just as the kitten is. When she doesn't believe him, she catches a fish to ask him if it's true. This is a delightful and educational chilldren's story. ( )
  Coffeehag | Feb 3, 2018 |
The little island is a place where wildflowers flourish in the spring and summer, and where seals come to raise their pups, and where lobsters hide while they shed their old shell. When a curious kitten shows up, we learn that the little island is an important part of a much larger world. ( )
  tessayondorf | Aug 15, 2017 |
"The Little Island" is about a small island in the ocean. The book goes through all the seasons on the island and what happens to plants and animals during each season. A curious cat wondered why the little island said that is was part of the big world when it was clearly surrounded by water. Because the cat couldn't swim, he had to take what a fish said by faith. The fish told the cat about the island being connected to all the land in the world.

I liked this book, especially the illustrations; they look like paintings. I actually learned about a couple sea-critters. I had no idea that lobsters shed their exoskeletons in the Spring. I would recommend this book to children and adults! In this course, I am learning that children's literature is really something special, and adults should crack them open too!

This book would be an awesome addition to a lesson about seasons. The author does a great job describing what happens and what variety of plants grow during each season. It could also support a lesson about oceans. I like that the book points out that all land is connected. That's pretty cool. ( )
  ambybeth | Feb 12, 2017 |
This book is about a sense of belonging. The book first introduces the little island and the living creatures on it such as spiders, and birds. Then comes a little boat with a couple having a picnic and a cat. The cat makes a comment on how small the island is and the island comments back about the cat. The cat doesn't think the island is part of the land because it is surrounded by water. The cat then asks a fish, the fish then asks the cat to come with him. The cat tells the fish he can't swim and the fish tells the cat that he is going to have to have faith and believe what he is saying without proof. The cat finally agrees and believes what the fish tells him. The cat comes to a realization while on the island and leaves with his people. Then the seasons come and go and the island remains. Personally, this book was too complicated for my taste. I feel like the message was too deep for children to understand. i would've liked to see the book continue from the cats point of view rather than the islands point of view. ( )
  shaelyn_smith | Feb 5, 2017 |

MacDonald, Goldenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Weisgard, LeonardIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
There was a little Island in the ocean.
And the fog came in from the sea and hid the little Island in a soft wet shadow.
And because he loved secrets he believed.

I thought this story was very well done. I think it is a story all children will enjoy reading. The style of the illustrations are authentic looking. This book could initiate conversation about how the seasons affect the island. Teachers could also talk about when the cat discovers what the fish tells him about the island

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,377,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible