The Hunter

by Kerrigan Byrne

Series: The Victorian Rebels (2)

When he is hired to kill actress Millie LeCour, famed assassin Christopher Argent is unable to complete his mission as he succumbs to the passion that grows between them, and he fights to keep Millie safe as danger closes in.

This was a slow start for me. I had trouble getting into the world of secret Victorian assassins. But this story suddenly blossomed and delivered exactly what I wanted--a slow, tortured unraveling of the tormented hero. This one delivered where the previous book in the series struggled, in my opinion. In retrospect, he does unravel too quickly (they'd known each for only days!), but the scenes were beautifully paced and it felt plausible while I was reading and I loved every minute.

Although I avoid romances about single mothers if I can help it, and I hate the precocious gifted children written for romance novels, I couldn't even find it in me to hate that part of the storyline. The kid in this one is, without question, overly mature, overly talented, and alternates between speaking like a much younger child and like a wise old man. He was a slight improvement on the dialogue written for young Dougan and Farah in the previous novel in this series, but only marginally. However, aside from an early scene, he's mostly out of the way and doesn't detract horribly from the story.

(spoilers beyond this point)

There are some similarities in this one to Sarah Maclean's Bareknuckle Bastard series. A subplot featuring young bastard boys forced to fight one another for the chance to inherit their fathers' title. And the final confession scene in this book is nearly identical to the final scene of the second book in Maclean's series. It irked me a little bit to encounter such blatant inspiration here. However, I think this series will appeal to BKB fans and vice-versa, so keep that in mind if you're looking for your next read. ( )
  hlkate | Oct 12, 2020 |
Oh, how I want to like this series more. I'm not quite sure what it is that bothers me about it as a whole. Is it telling more than showing? Is it that it feels like they're trying too hard to be super dark? I don't know.

There are two main problems I have with this one, which reflect my rating: the utter predictability of the mystery and the unconvincing love between Christopher and Millie. No reveal was surprising, and I just don't believe in these two characters as a couple. They're hot for each other, and, while Millie feels compassion for Christopher, it feels like he connects more to Jakub and Millie's role as a mother than he does to her as a person. It's like he wants to use them to fill the whole his mother's death left in him, which I don't think anyone should do. You have to heal, not try to fill a void with another person. The cycle will only repeat if that new person dies. And yeah, he's an assassin and supposedly feels nothing when he kills, but it felt like he could have been way worse, if that makes sense. ( )
  littlebookjockey | Sep 15, 2020 |
Byrne serves up a great story with a romance that didn't feel quite as compelling as the two main characters or the underlying story. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
Only Kerrigan Byrne can make a story about an assassin be so totally tear-jerking and amazing. Christopher Argent is hired to kill the actress Millie LeCour. Instead he falls in love with her (even if he doesn't know what it is to love). Born and raised in prison, Christopher is an ice cold killer - who has no heart until he meets Millie. Then instead of killing her he decides to protect her against any other assassins who might come after her and her young son.
Reading about how Christopher relates to Millie as well as her son Jakub was a heart-wrenching experience. I cried more than once at how hard it is for Christopher to open his heart and his life to the two of them. It takes almost losing them to realize that he can't live without them.
This isn't a feel-goof Happily Ever After kind of story. The characters work hard to get their ending but it is worth every minute of the story. ( )
  ddeluna1 | Mar 19, 2020 |
Summary

Christopher Argent, is one of England’s most elite hunters and assassins. He has learned over the years to not care about anything but himself as means of protection. He is cold and he is ruthless and nothing and no one can stand in his way. He has never let a target go unmarked and killed. His latest target, is the beautiful actress Millie LeCour. Their first meeting in a ballroom, where they dance and share a searing kiss changed everything for Christopher. He has three days to kill Millie, but each time he attempts—he fails. He can’t resist her taste, or seeing the life flee from her brilliant and passionate eyes. He soon realizes that instead of killing her, he decides he will be her and her son Jakub’s protector. Soon Christopher and Millie realize the searing desire they would uncover together, but also a powerful love. But can Christopher protect Millie from their enemies and get to the source of why they seek her demise.
The Hero

Christopher Argent, had a rough upbringing. He was born and raised in prison where his mother was kept prisoner, forced to be raped and beaten just so he could have food and safe shelter. But when she is killed right in front of him, when he was just a boy, he seeked training for retribution from a chinese master who taught him how to be like the water…fluid and powerful and unstoppable. Over the years he has honed his skills, and has become ruthless and has a well known reputation. Christopher is one powerful alpha male personality and whew…he just about blew me away (but in a good way). I haven’t read a hero like him in HR in such a long time, and he definitely had a powerful aura while reading him. He hasn’t allowed himself to feel emotion since his mother was killed. Where an innocent boy had to become ruthless and cold to survive. Christopher is overwhelmed by the power of emotion that Millie and her son bring out in him. For the first time in many years, he is feeling genuine affection and love. It was quite an adventure to see him work through his issues and come to terms with who he is becoming.
The Heroine

Millie LeCour, along with her best friend born in Whitechaple, became stars in the acting world of London. Millie wanted to become famous and to share her talent. But then her best friend was killed, and her son became her own. Millie is such a wonderful human being, and a mother too. I love how protective and caring she is with Jakub. She treats him as her own and she will die for him if necessary. Millie has worked hard to build her acting career, but she also has a sweet and gentle spirit. Despite how fearful she is of Christopher, she also sees a man worthy of love and affection. She sees something deeper in him, that no one but those closest to him know. I grew to love Millie as the heroine, because we see how she accepts Christopher as he is and doesn’t let her fear of him waste what they have together. She has spunk and is spirited, but also understands her place in society as well. I loved the balance we see in her character.
Plot and Story Line

The Hunter Is such a brilliantly written romance and I just want to applaud Kerrigan Byrne for writing yet another spectacular romance and honestly, she is ranking up my list to my favorite romance authors, and most especially when it comes to historical romance. This is a author I recently discovered early last year, and what great talent she has. What I also love about this book, is how she has made historical romance come alive with vivid emotion and detail and historical accuracy. It is obvious she has done her homework on the time period. There is a tone of grit in this book, just like in her previous book, but I soaked every delicious moment. I couldn’t put this one down, it was so dang good. If you love Lisa Kleypas or Julie Garwood —this is a must read for sure!!

It starts off with a emotional prologue (that is a must—-PLEASE do not skip this or you will miss out on important detail on Christopher’s character and what shapes him). I just about burst into tears reading it, this little boy that we get introduced to is reared into a world of hardship but also love too. Then we skip ahead to when he is an adult and has become quite popular for his reputation. Now techinically this could be a enemies to lovers trope, but it didn’t have that full angsty feeling to it that I was expecting. Nope, this author blew me away with events that unfold and expectations that I had and she changed gears on me and brought me into a story that was full of shocks and delights, sensuality and a heartwarming story of the changing power of love.

“It’s why I had to make this bargain, I expect. Why I must have you. Because you make me want to—” he paused, eyes moving in their sockets as though searching for a word. “You make me…want.”

I can’t express enough of amazing this story is, and I want to shout to the rooftops how necessary this book is to every romance lover out there!!
The Cover

What a cover we have here. I don’t like it as much as the first book’s cover. However I love the purple, and what graceful flow it seems to have…almost has if they are in the middle of a dance.
Overall View

The Hunter is stunning in detail, brilliant in showing the reader true redemption and the healing power of love in a world of no emotion. TRULY A TREASURE!!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 17, 2019 |

Kerrigan Byrneprimary authorall editionscalculated
Audio, TantorPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Perkins, DerekNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

I kiss'd thee ere I kill'd thee. No way but this,
Killing myself, to die upon a kiss.
-- Williams Shakespeare, Othello
To Janet Snell
I couldn't do it without you.
Prologue
Newgate Prison, London 1855
This was nothing short of torture.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,186,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible