Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 1 (1) by…

Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 1 (1) (edition 2010)

by Yuki Midorikawa (Author)

301973,334 (4.12)5
"When Reiko was Takashi's age, she bound the names of demons and spirits in her Book of Friends, enslaving them to her capricious whim. Now Takashi is the owner of the book, and the creatures will do anything to get their names back" -- from publisher's web site.
Member:TooManyBooksAndGames
Title:Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 1 (1)
Authors:Yuki Midorikawa (Author)
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2010), Edition: Illustrated, 208 pages

Work Information

Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 1 by Yuki Midorikawa

I really like this manga and the anime too. It has a really relaxing atmosphere to it. ( )
  Kat_books | Nov 9, 2021 |
Fun little Yokai manga. ( )
  Count_Zero | Jul 7, 2020 |
Series Review:
For his entire life, Takashi Natsume has been able to see yokai, and it’s brought him little but trouble–especially since his parents’ death. He’s been shipped between relatives who don’t really want him, who find him odd at best or a liar more often than not. It’s been a life that has led him to be withdrawn, to hide who he really is and what he sees. But when he moves in with an older couple of distant relatives who legitimately seem to want him, things begin to change. Natsume starts making friends at school. What’s more, he inherits an old book from his grandmother, Reiko Natsume, who he finds was also able to see yokai. In fact, possession of this book brings him into contact with even more yokai than before, including one that has gotten itself stuck in the form of a maneki neko who sticks around . . . to protect him and the book (and to raid free food from him). As time goes on, Natsume finds himself building true connections to those around him, both human and yokai, as well as to the memories of his grandmother Reiko.

Natsume’s Book of Friends is such a delightfully different manga that it’s difficult to truly explain. It’s shoujo, even though the main character is a boy, and that combination sets the story up to be very different than it would be if it were shounen (more action-y) or if the main character were female (where it would likely be more of a romance). As it is, it’s perfect, going more into Natsume’s sense of isolation at first and into his growing connections as time goes on. He grows in his understanding of Reiko as well, seeing memories of her through the Book of Friends. It’s also really neat to see him growing in confidence and conviction as the story progresses. I guess just in general there’s a lot of character growth developed in this manga, which I really love. Plus, Natsume just has an interesting personality, kind of blunt, actually–but it works and is enjoyable to read without being too overpowering for the story. The general atmosphere of this story is gentle, tranquil, even in the places where there’s action or peril. Plus, the softness of the illustrations helps to draw out this quality in the manga even more. It makes for a pretty relaxing read. One thing I didn’t care for quite so much in the earlier volumes is that it is extremely episodic–to the point of repeating the whole entry sequence for each chapter and having the chapters not connect at all. I get that this was intentional based on how the manga was originally published, but it’s a bit annoying to read. But this reduces significantly as you get further into the story, to the point that you have multiple-chapter story arcs and such–much more engaging to read at that point. Honestly though, even that episodic nature is a minor distraction to how generally enjoyable and peaceful this story is on the whole, and I would highly recommend this series. ( )
1 vote Honyasbookshelf | Jul 14, 2019 |
This is one of my favorite manga. It definitely sits in my top ten. I've reread it so many times that I know it by heart and it makes me want more. ( )
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |
  RinHanase | Mar 11, 2017 |

Yuki Midorikawaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Olsen, LillianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Where is she?
Since I was little, I've seen weird THINGS. They're creatures called Youkai. I don't see them because I WANT to. - Natsume
I SAID I'M NOT A KITTY! - Nyanko-sensei
Madara, one day... you too will understand. - Tsuyukami
Whether human or youkai... being alone makes you lonely. The first step is always the most difficult. - Natsume

Takashi Natsume can see the spirits and demons that hide from the rest of humanity. He has always been set apart from other people because of his gift, drifting from relative to relative, never fitting in. Now he is a troubled high school student who has come to live in the small town where his grandmother grew up. And there he discovers that he has inherited more than just the Sight from the mysterious Reiko.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 174,089,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible