A Great Reckoning: A Novel (Chief Inspector…

A Great Reckoning: A Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novel) (edition 2017)

by Louise Penny (Author)

Member:CasualFriday
Title:A Great Reckoning: A Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novel)
Authors:Louise Penny (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (2017), 592 pages
Tags:fiction, mystery, Quebec, Canada, Armand Gamache, police, students, maps, orienteering

A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny

Confessions:
#1 I've read most, but not all of this series, in order. While each novel can be read as a stand alone, there is character development from novel to novel. There are incidents referred to from the past and from previous novels, so my conclusion is that in reality you are best to read them in order. They are not light reads. The plots are complex and there is a great deal of underlying philosophy, so they do take some time.
#2 Last night I went to bed as usual and then an hour later got up so that I could finish the last 150 pages of this book. I knew I wasn't going to get to sleep otherwise. This book had me hooked.

Armand Gamache has retired. He did his best to clean up the Surete in Quebec and it nearly cost him his life. But he has realised that the greatest source of the corruption and lack of humanity seen in the officers of the Surete is the Academy where they were trained, so he takes on the job of its Commander. He knows it will be hard because although he has replaced many of the professors he has retained some whom he knows are part of the source of the corruption. He has also brought in others who have betrayed him in the past.

Things seem to be going fairly well when one of the professors is found dead, shot in the head, with a revolver bearing a partial print from Gamache's hand. So everything breaks open and the Academy comes under the scrutiny of both the head of the Surete and an outsider. Gamache himself is in real danger.

Running in the background is another mystery: the meaning of a map that was found many years ago in the walls of the Bistro at Three Pines. Why was it made? What was its purpose? A central part of the mystery is that the village of Three Pines is not named on the map, although the iconic pine trees are there.

An engrossing read. ( )
  smik | Jun 23, 2017 |
Never read any Penny, this book won all sorts of awards, figure I had to check out.
  BooksForDinner | Jun 20, 2017 |
This book made a lot of 10-best lists for 2016 – not just best mysteries but best novels. It reintroduces the story line of corruption in the Sûreté du Québec, as Armand Gamache is named the new head of the Sûreté Academy. Gamache believes that that the bad old guard of the Sûreté has used the Academy to turn hapless cadets into violent brutes. We are introduced to a new character, Amelia Choquet, a Goth nightmare who is the least likely cadet in history. Penny’s books usually have an intriguing side story, and this one involves the sport of orienteering and an explanation for why Three Pines is so hard to find on a map.

As usual with Penny, the actually mystery can be a tad overworked. One clue is so outlandishly obscure that even the character giving the clue has to apologize for its subtlety. I really don’t mind, though. I had to drive around aimlessly to finish the audio book, so I obviously loved it.

One more note: another new character is introduced, an ugly little dog named Gracie that Reine-Marie adopts. As soon as I learned about this new dog, I worried about the fate of Henri, and I’m happy to report he is fine. ( )
  CasualFriday | Jun 19, 2017 |
Wow! I could not stop reading. Loved the characters, loved the human nature insights, loved the plot, just loved this whole book. Want to reread. ( )
  bereanna | Jun 12, 2017 |
Former Chief Inspector Gamache is the new commander of the Sûreté Academy, and given the chance to combat the corruption and brutality that has been rife throughout the force. But when a former colleague and professor of the Academy is found murdered, with a mysterious map of Three Pines in his possession, Gamache has an even tougher task ahead of him.

Besides the murder, there is also the mystery of the map, that may or may not be related, and the mystery of student Amelia Choquet and why Armand accepted her into the academy. Although well-written and having several mysteries to sort out, I thought it was a bit slow throughout and not as good as the last 3 I've read. Nonetheless, I still enjoy Three Pines and all the characters there. I also liked the way Penny wrapped up the ending, as usual. I'll continue to read this author's books. ( )
  gaylebutz | May 21, 2017 |
This complex novel deals with universal themes of compassion, weakness in the face of temptation, forgiveness, and the danger of falling into despair and cynicism over apparently insurmountable evils.

It strikes a man more dead than a great reckoning in a little room.

--William Shakespeare
For Michael
Armand Gamache sat in the little room and closed the dossier with care, squeezing it shut, trapping the words inside.

Former Chief Inspector Gamache has been hunting killers his entire career and as the new commander of the Sûreté Academy, he is given the chance to combat the corruption and brutality that has been rife throughout the force. But when a former colleague and professor of the Academy is found murdered, with a mysterious map of Three Pines in his possession, Gamache has an even tougher task ahead of him.

When suspicion turns to Gamache himself, and his possible involvement in the crime, the search for answers takes the investigation to the village of Three Pines, where a series of shattering secrets is poised to be revealed...

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,178,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible