Genesis: Introduction, Translation, and Notes (The Anchor Bible, Vol. 1) (1964)

by E. A. Speiser

Series: Anchor Bible (1)

Genesisis Volume I in the Anchor Bible series of new book-by-book translations of the Old and New Testaments and Apocrypha.  Ephraim Avigdor Speiser was University Professor and Chairman of the Department of Oriental Studies at the University of Pennsylvania. Using authoritative evidence from archaeology, linguistics, and comparative religion, the author presents some startling conclusions about the first book of the Bible.  He proves, for example, that the famous opening phrase, "In the beginning," is not true to the meaning of the first word, that the designation "Torah" for the Pentateuch is a misnomer, that the best-known stories of Genesis are grounded in pagan mythology.  Speiser is an iconoclast in the tradition of Abraham; he exposes the false in order to help achieve truth.  As he says in his introduction, he "is not motivated by mere pedantry...but by the hope that each new insight may bring us that much closer to the secret of the Bible's universal and enduring appeal."… (more)

series
  LGUMClibrary | Mar 11, 2020 |
This was a text in my Humanities class at Brandeis taught by Dr. Nahum Sarna. I can't remember the course title, but it was based on Genesis; we also read Kierkegaard, Freud, and The Ancient Near East in Text and Pictures. I sold my textbooks, but searched this one out 50 years later as my church is using the Narrative Lectionary and I wanted Speiser's book to help with Bible study. ( )
  auntieknickers | Jan 14, 2019 |
Bible, O.T. Commentary
  CPI | Jun 30, 2016 |
First book of the Bible with introduction, exegisis, notes and comment
  Folkshul | Jan 15, 2011 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,579,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible