Yellow submarine = De gele duikboot by…

Yellow submarine = De gele duikboot (edition 2004)

by Charlie Gardner

Member:leowillemse
Title:Yellow submarine = De gele duikboot
Authors:Charlie Gardner
Info:Leiden : Kids at Work; [40] p, 28 cm; http://opc4.kb.nl/DB=1/PPN?PPN=267141688
Rating:***
Tags:Beatles, kinderboek, prentenboek

Yellow Submarine [book] by The Beatles

The Blue Meanies decide to take over happy Pepperland, spreading misery over its residents. Only Fred manages to escape in a yellow submarine, which surfaces in Liverpool, finding The Beatles and bringing them back to Pepperland to use music to re-ignite the land.

I picked out this book for a 1960s-themed party I was throwing and, wow, it certainly has the sixties psychedelic vibe going on. Apparently it is adapted from the movie version of Yellow Submarine but never having seen that, I can't make a comparison between the two. I can say the book is definitely a weird fantastical romp with a plot that makes major twists and turns and leaps that defy logic. The text pulls language from Beatles's songs and uses a lot of wordplay, which may be over the heads of the intended audience of young children. The illustrations are big, balloon type of cartoons full of vibrant colors and patterns.

I could see this being a hit for big Beatles fans who want to share that love with the children in their lives or for kids who just really enjoy unusual, imaginative, and fantastic reads. For my part, it was not really my cup of tea. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Jul 2, 2016 |
Welcome to a children's book for adults.

Being old enough to remember the Beatles as a new phenomenon, I have long been interested in their transformation from the first boy band, to a psychedelic happening. The Yellow Submarine was the first adult cartoon, certainly in my cultural awareness. It is, in equal parts, silly, profound, trite and witty. This book reflects all this in a literary manner.

To look at, this would appear to be a children's annual and, I feel sure that a small child would be hooked by the colourful pages showing images from the film. The literary style too appears to be aimed at a young audience but, lurking under the surface, is John Lennon's rebellious humour. There is surrealism and even darkness in the story. For the oldies, this is a reminder of a magical time, when everything seemed possible: 'All You Need Is Love', was a reasonable assumption and very attainable. Sadly, love turned to financial streams and the movement broke down. Perhaps the World is ready for a revival - heaven knows, we need it. Peace to you all. ( )
  the.ken.petersen | Nov 20, 2015 |
Got it free from itunes, fun book for Beatles fans, although I do wish it was more interactive. ( )
  vonze | Feb 6, 2014 |
All you need is love. ( )
  darioha | Dec 4, 2013 |
Reason for Reading: I love The Beatles and couldn't resist this homage to the fantastic film and song "Yellow Submarine".

Well, what can I say. If you loved the animated film you'll delight in this picture book. The plot of the book is a very condensed version of the film's plot, keeping the main idea but leaving out many sideplots. It *is* only 40 pages. The book's main glory is in it's illustration taken from/based on that of the film. I think parents/grandparents will be buying this one for the fun of reading it to their little ones who will certainly marvel at the illustrations and the fantastical world presented to them. The main plot centres around ridding Pepperland of the Blue Meanies but the central idea in the book to vanquishing them revolves around the theme/song "All You Need is Love". Grown ups will delight at the multitude of Beatles song titles thrown into the text such as: "Do we need a ticket to ride? asked George. "Only if we're taking the mystery tour," Ringo joked." and there is plenty of tongue in cheek Fab Four humour that adults will chuckle over such as "Frankenstein's a friend of yours?" Fred asked. "Oh, yeah. I used to go out with his sister ... Phyllis." A delightful picture book kids and adults will enjoy, both on different levels. ( )
  ElizaJane | May 27, 2012 |

The Beatlesprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Edelmann, HeinzIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Gardner, CharlieAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Andreaneli, FionaDesignersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is a picture book, please do not combine with the album or the film.

0744586526 2004 Walker Books
0763624403 2004 Candlewick Press, MA
3806750661 2004 Gerstenberg Gebrueder (German)
905641450X 2004 Krikke Pocket Books (Dutch)
1844289230 2011 Walker
0763658545 2012 Candlewick Press, MA

A whole new generation will be climbing aboard this sunny, psychedelic
storybook, while nostalgic Beatles fans of all ages will be clamoring for a ticket to ride.

Once upon a time (or maybe twice), some 80,000 leagues beneath the sea, there lay a colorful land of song and laughter called Pepperland, where Sergeant Pepper's Band was always playing your song — until the Blue Meanies burst on the scene and chased all the music and magic away. So began the classic 1968 film Yellow Submarine, inspired by a song and hailed as an avant-garde amalgam of pop art, Beatles music, and highly innovative animation. Now that film's dazzling images — and its lighthearted, witty tale — is showcased in a glorious picture book sure to be savored by fans and readers of all ages.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 06 Feb 2016 19:05:52 -0500)

At the request of a befuddled emissary from Pepperland, four lads from Liverpool take a ride in a yellow submarine and use music to aid Pepperland's besieged residents in their battle against the Blue Meanies.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,244 books! | Top bar: Always visible