Turbo Twenty-Three

by Janet Evanovich

Series: Stephanie Plum (23)

In the heart of Trenton, N.J., a killer is out to make sure someone gets his just desserts. Larry Virgil skipped out on his latest court date after he was arrested for hijacking an eighteen-wheeler full of premium bourbon. Fortunately for bounty hunter Stephanie Plum, Larry is just stupid enough to attempt almost the exact same crime again . Only this time he flees the scene, leaving behind a freezer truck loaded with Bogart ice cream and a dead body--frozen solid and covered in chocolate and chopped pecans. As fate would have it, Stephanie's mentor and occasional employer, Ranger, needs her to go undercover at the Bogart factory to find out who's putting their employees on ice and sabotaging the business. It's going to be hard for Stephanie to keep her hands off all that ice cream, and even harder for her to keep her hands off Ranger. It's also going to be hard to explain to Trenton's hottest cop, Joe Morelli, why she is spending late nights with Ranger, late nights with Lula and Randy Briggs--who are naked and afraid--and late nights keeping tabs on Grandma Mazur and her new fella. Stephanie Plum has a lot on her plate, but for a girl who claims to have "virtually no marketable skills," these are the kinds of sweet assignments she does best.… (more)

As always Evanovich has another great entry into the Stephanie Plum series. Stephanie is again in the middle of a mystery when she finds a dead man in the back of a stolen eighteen wheeler that she and Lula use to track down another FTA. The dead man is covered in chocolate and nuts, a special formula used by a local ice cream company, putting two different Trenton ice cream companies at the center of the investigation. Rangeman is already involved with increasing security at one of the companies, so Ranger asks Stephanie to go in undercover to learn more about what might be going on inside, leading to several situations in which Stephanie's life is put in danger.
This is another laugh out loud Stephanie Plum book. Lula's escapades continue to make for great comic fodder as does Grandma Mazur. The Ranger and Joe Morelli love triangle is still engaging. I'll anxiously look forward to another Stephanie Plum book. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
I always enjoy these Stephanie Plum mysteries. The characters are like comfy slippers at this point. The ubiquitous car crashes and funny scenes with Lula are all present. The story was a little too predictable, so not my favorite ( )
  hemlokgang | Sep 5, 2021 |
Pretty weak effort. Usual Stephanie Plum messes. Lula driving/crashing a semi was pretty funny. Why Ranger thinks Stephanie can help him solve security problems for his Rangeman business is one of the great mysteries of the universe, but he is always there to save her. This books is ostensibly about two warring local ice cream makers, one of which seems to be really down on his luck. Meanwhile Stephanie tries with varying degrees of success to bring in various people who her boss Vinnie has bonded. Oh, and Lula's reality television ideas are modestly amusing. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
3.5*
This is your classic Stephanie Plum novel ranging from shenanigans with Grandma and Lula, apprehension of several fugitives, as well as some sexy times with Morelli and Ranger. I know in the last few reviews of the Stephanie Plum novels that I have said I wanted or felt I wanted some kind of closure with Morelli and Ranger, but in this one I feel like we came to the conclusion or at least I came to the conclusion with Stephanie that she doesn't need to be tied down to one man. As I got to thinking about it, I realized that the two men in her life (even though they might be protective of her) don't stop her from seeing other men and if they truly wanted to, either of them probably could stop these antics. Stephanie doesn't want to make a commitment to either of them and I think I can understand the need to not settle down and get married and have kids based on the lifestyle she has and the people she spends time with. I was left feeling a little more at ease at the end of this novel and I look forward to more Shenanigans in the future. ( )
  courty4189 | Mar 24, 2021 |
well I have no one to blame but myself....I just had to read this hoping (with fingers, eyes, and legs crossed) that #23 would be worth the effort. I won't even start on the repetitive things that annoyed me at the beginning, I know Janet does it to catch up anyone who has never read a Stephanie book.

And here we go....while attempting to apprehend and FTA Stephanie and Lula stumbled into a bigger mystery. Dead men made to look like ice cream bars. A psycho clown trying to kill folks. Stephanie doing the nasty with Morelli, flirting with Ranger then getting horizontal with Ranger. In other words same old, same old and it's too old for me. not even Grandma Mazur dating a biker was enough to save this book. Oh and let's not forget Lula and Randy Biggs filming their own version of Nekkid and Afraid....dreams of becoming stars.

I can honestly say that I am done. Stephanie and the boys ....I'll remember them fondly up through 13 or 14 but the rest ....can I pretend it was all a bad dream? ( )
  ChachaJ | Feb 1, 2021 |

Janet Evanovichprimary authorall editionscalculated
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Larry Virgil is a lanky, grease--stained guy in his forties.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,519,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible