The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan

The Bookshop on the Corner

by Jenny Colgan

Good read. Nice and easy on the brain - the sort of book I read when I'm feeling a bit out of sorts. Loved the tree with the books hanging in it as a kind of devotion to books and reading. Lovely love story where books and reading are as much the subject of interest as is the main man. Felt a little rushed and condensed at times - wonder whether this is the result of a hard edit by the publishers to fulfill so called needs of the market. Nice bit of happy escapism! ( )
  sarahpeacock28 | Oct 21, 2018 |
I enjoyed the story line and the characters in this book. Nina has lost her librarian job in England and is torn about what to do. Her dream is to operate a mobile book shop. When she sees an advertisement for a van in Scotland, she wonders if it's a sign. She eventually buys the van, gets leftover books from the closing library and sets up for business...in Scotland.

Nina loves matching a book with her customers. Some want detective stories, some want adventure, etc. And when she meets a lovely man from a near accident, she wonders if he is her true love. But when circumstances end their relationship before it really gets going, Nina wonders if there ever is such a thing as a fairly tale romance. Will she ever find her true love?

I would have given this book 5 stars if not for the swearing and the unnecessary bedroom scenes, which I can always do without. ( )
  MichelleConnell | Sep 26, 2018 |
This book is light reading for me. Maybe a little too light? There's nothing wrong with it, but I just didn't really feel "the tug" or the feeling of wanting more.

Nina loses her job at the library. In a way, it's a crisis of "what do I do with my life now?" But it's also a chance to do something daring: move somewhere and start all over again. Moving to Scotland is definitely a major change of not just scenery, but a major shift in her life. It seems that everything slowly starts coming together for her.

She was never one to really attract men, but when she moves to Scotland, she finds her place in the world. She shares her love of books with everyone she meets. She's HAPPY! And it seems to do wonders for her in the male department. Let's start with Marek. There's just something different and oh-so-wonderful about him. He's quite the charmer with this foreign accent and his desire to please her. Griffin, her former co-worker, seems to like her somewhat, but I think he's too immature for her. Lennox the landlord is so gruff that you would never believe that he kinda has a thing for her too. Face it, I kinda envy her.

While it was a great story, I wish it was the kind that I would want to re-read over and over again, but it's not. Better luck with the next book, I hope.
  caslater83 | Sep 20, 2018 |
Before I read this I read some of the past reviews and there were mixed opinions about the story. I don't normally hold someone's opinion over a book because I'd like to read it first and have my own opinion on it. I was surprise that there were a number of people that said the book was disgusting and annoying. I didn't think that at all. I thought the story was realistic in a way that not everyone we meet in our life will be good for us. The story was believable and some of the dialogue were quirky and made me smile. I enjoyed it. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Sep 8, 2018 |
A lovely story of a tech-lost librarian reinventing herself with a traveling book van. There may be an unexpected love story too. ( )
  CYGeeker | Sep 6, 2018 |

Colgan, Jennyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Andersson, KerstinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Karlström, BirgittaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Price-Lewis, LucyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world. VOLTAIRE
There is no dedication in this book because the entire book is dedicated to you: the reader. To all readers.
The problem with good things that happen is that very often they disguise themselves as awful things.

Nina Redmond is a literary matchmaker. Pairing a reader with that perfect book is her passion... and also her job. Or at least it was. Until yesterday, she was a librarian in the hectic city. But now the job she loved is no more. Determined to make a new life for herself, Nina moves to a sleepy village many miles away. There she buys a van and transforms it into a bookmobile--a mobile bookshop that she drives from neighborhood to neighborhood, changing one life after another with the power of storytelling. From helping her grumpy landlord deliver a lamb, to sharing picnics with a charming train conductor who serenades her with poetry, Nina discovers there's plenty of adventure, magic, and soul in a place that's beginning to feel like home... a place where she just might be able to write her own happy ending.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jenny Colgan's book The Bookshop on the Corner was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,629,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible