DMZ Vol. 1: On the Ground by Brian Wood

DMZ Vol. 1: On the Ground (edition 2006)

by Brian Wood

Series: DMZ (1-5)

Member:tritongrey
Title:DMZ Vol. 1: On the Ground
Authors:Brian Wood
Info:Vertigo (2006), Edition: illustrated edition, Paperback, 128 pages

DMZ, Volume 01: On the Ground by Brian Wood

A good premise for a story, in a potentially interesting world. Unfortunately this volume doesn't go into much details about how the world got to be how it is, or even what the situation is outside the surrounds of Manhattan. Also, the final arc about the stolen jacket was completely uncompelling, especially given it's end. Maybe the next volume goes somewhere interesting with it, but it doesn't leave me wanting to out.

Maybe it's the start of something interesting, but that depends a lot on what the next volume is like. ( )
  teknognome | Nov 14, 2016 |
I've had this on my shelf for ages, and finally got around to reading it. It was written 10 years ago, and in some ways it's obviously a product of its time -- the US is bogged down in overseas wars, and questions about the neutrality of journalists embedded with military forces are prominent -- but in other ways it's aged well. People living in "violent" neighborhoods (whether actual war zones or just poor) are still treated as disposable by occupying forces. Anti-government militias are even more of a thing than they were 10 years ago.

I like that the story re-humanizes the people who get caught in the middle when wars are fought over their neighborhood. And that the way things are in "dangerous" neighborhoods is the result of rational choices people made to protect themselves, not just faceless "crime" and "violence". There are no easy answers in here, just more questions of what should be sacrificed, what should be protected. ( )
  lavaturtle | Sep 2, 2016 |
America is gripped by a vicious civil war between the United States and the Free States. NYC is caught in the middle, a perilous no-man's-land filled with ordinary citizens turned desperate survivors. Little information gets in or out of Manhattan (or the DMZ, as it's known), so a Pulitzer-winning journalist and his entourage set out to be the first. But they are shot down just as they enter the DMZ, and only the journalist's oblivious young photographer survives. Zee, the local medic, takes Matty Roth under her wing for a few days and shows him around. Eventually, he becomes interested in life in the DMZ (and disenchanted by the US actions there), so he decides to stay and document what he can.

By and large, the art is merely servicable. A full trade in, the characters have very little personality. The dialog sounds clunky, cliched and impersonal. The city doesn't quite make sense. Years after being cut off from the outside, how are they still eating? Zee makes an off-hand comment about growing their own food (which inspired me on a long research tangent about making my own tofu--thanks, DMZ!), but I really doubt they have enough seeds and soil to feed an entire city. There are still noodle carts--where are they getting their noodles? Do they grow their own wheat? Where? Matty gets a certain amount of notoriety for being the only official member of the press in the DMZ, but we never see him parlay it, or barter it, for necessities. How is he paying for food and toilet paper? Does the DMZ recognize US money? How bout Free States money? How bout bank cards? Just how cut off *are* they? Did all the rich people skedaddle, or were they killed, or do they run medieval fiefdoms now? Given that "DMZ" is not really about the characters, I expected it to be about the city--but most of the city is completely unexplained or explored. I don't think Wood actually considered what life in this city would be like--his take is a very superficial one, and it's frustrating!

I don't feel like I wasted my lunch break on this, but if I'm not assured it gets significantly better, I wouldn't waste my time on another issue. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
Not really up to the mark for me. Maybe I was expecting something more. Somehow not interested to go through the next episodes. ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
I'm not sure about this series yet. The premise sounds good enough, but I'm not all that interested in the main characters so far. ( )
  jtodd1973 | Jan 23, 2015 |

Brian Woodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Azzarello, BrianIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Burchielli, RiccardoIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
...Today marks the fifth anniversary of the initial outbreak of hostilities between the United States of America and the so-called "Free States."

While the U.S. Army and National Guard are fighting overseas, an anti-establishment militia rises up and begins a second civil war.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,832,576 books! | Top bar: Always visible