dismiss

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne, John Tiffany

Series: Harry Potter (8)

3,7182962,312 (3.46)2 / 143
Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London's West End on 30th July 2016. It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn't much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children. While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.… (more)

English (214)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (225)
I honestly don't know what to say. I have never read something that has failed on so many different levels before. I was a huge Harry Potter fan when the first few books came out. And then the last two books I ended up feeling sorta meh about. I mean I still love them as a whole (and adore the movies) but I thought a lot of the time that something was missing when it came to character development and romance between certain characters.

This play follows Harry Potter, his wife Ginny, Hermoine, Ron, Draco Malfoy and their children as they are about to go and start school at Hogwarts.

The main characters in this play is Albus Severus Potter and Scorpius Malfoy. After Albus is sorted into Slytherin along with his new best friend Scorpius the play jumps forward a lot to show a disenchanted Albus. Albus hates being the son of the great Harry Potter and decides that his father was wrong in not helping someone from Harry's past. So Albus and Scorpius go about setting things right. No this is not a Quantum Leap episode, though at times it could have been.

What to say, what to say. Oh yeah, Albus sucks. A lot. I think if this had been a book we could have had the character fleshed out more. But because this is a play, there is no development at all. Which by the way should not be something that is acceptable. Other plays have managed to actually develop a character from beginning to end. Instead we just have very thin reasons for why Albus is doing anything he is or saying it. We go from him being scared to go to Hogwarts, to him feeling like Harry has always had all of these expectations on him. Based on what I read, that was not going on at all.

The only reason why I am giving this play one star is that the character of Scorpius Malfoy actually manages to give some much needed heart to this story. Heck, I would say this play is really about Scorpius and how he was able to find acceptance with Albus and how loathed he and Albus were in giving that up after they met each other. One part of the play just showcases Scorpius and I thought that hands down that was the best part of it.

The other characters were not well drawn at all. Harry is aloof and I wouldn't be surprised if he and Ginny ended up divorce if we have another play that follows this one.

Ron was just a joke. And not a very good one. There is even an aside thrown out about how he was drunk at he and Hermoine's wedding so he doesn't remember it at all. Tell me again why they are married? Seriously. Tell me.

Hermoine felt off to me. She was always the smartest character around who believed in Harry when everyone else didn't (looking at you Ron) so the play having them at odds with each other did not feel natural.

Other characters we spend barely any time with (Ron and Hermoine's daughter really didn't need to be included along with Harry and Ginny's two other children James and Lily). We have Harry being a jerk to Professor McGonagall and man oh man did I want her to whip out her wand and whoop his tail.

The main plot actually deals with time travel and boy oh boy. That does not work the way that you seem to think it does. As I said before the last time I looked at a book that had significant time travel in it "11/22/63" when Futurama actually shows paradoxes correctly in one of their episodes than you can manage to do in a book or play, you have problems.

The writing did not evoke memories of Harry Potter. Since this is a play there was actually very little stage direction at all and no sense of how the scenes will look to readers/audience members. I just read "A Streetcar Named Desire" and Tennessee Williams can evoke more in one line than this play managed to do in 320 pages. I am going to say that once again, this is not a good thing. Frankly it being written as a play I don't think will mess with most readers as they read this. I think they are going to be more frustrated by the lack of development and the inconsistencies that we are treated to along the way.

The flow was terrible. Probably because the main plot point which I won't spoil here was not well thought at all. We had characters just repeatedly doing things that made me want to pull my hair out. This play could have been half as short but no, we had to show people having a reconciliation that I didn't feel was earned.

The setting of Hogwarts as this wonderful magical place is absent here. Even revisiting scenes that readers are familiar with. Probably the only part of the play that reminded me of Harry Potter were the children setting off for their first day at Hogwarts. After that, not so much.

The ending was a big let-down and I really would not recommend this to anyone to buy unless you want to complete your collection. Otherwise borrow this from the library or a friend who bought it. I already have one friend on Facebook still mentioning how much she regrets buying this and it's been a week. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
I only made it to the end of this because I care so much about the Harry Potter universe and because Draco and Scorpius were fine. On the whole, though, this was just plain awful. The dialogue is atrocious. Actually, so are the bits between the dialogue. So many stilted sentences that no one would say, let alone the characters who were actually meant to be saying them. And the characters. Most of them were completely unrecognisable. Ron is the most obvious one. At least, he's CALLED Ron, but it's actually quite feasible that he is some form of alien changeling that has climbed inside Ron's skin and got things all wrong. Hermione turning mean just because Ron married Padma in that alternate universe is really gross. Hermione is the last character to change that much for that reason. Harry is a godawful parent and somehow struggles to deal with the child who is actually a lot like him, so should really be easiest, surely. Ginny is a blank wall with zero personality. Albus is an idiot.

And let's talk about the creepy bits. That bloody awful scene with Dumbledore and Harry crying at each other, which has a really gross paedo vibe to it, as though Dumbledore imprinted on baby Harry like Jacob imprints on Renesmee. And then there's the part where Albus repeatedly snogs Hermione in Polyjuice form and gets all rapey and prevents her from leaving. Ugh.

Oh wait, there's also the awful plot! Even if you set aside the fact that this kind of someone-goes-back-in-time-to-fix-something-and-messes-everything-up plot has been done a gajillion times (doughnut rain, anyone?), it's just not even well thought out. If you're going to use time travel as your main premise, you need to really think about how the paradox is going to work. Are we really supposed to believe that you can mess about as much as they did and things will turn out the same?

And Scorpius having a completely unexplained crush on Rose is so blatantly there just to try to stop people thinking that he and Albus are in love. It's awkward and obvious and shows no understanding of fandom because of course people will still ship them.

This is unrecognisable as Harry Potter apart from the names and I am glad that the show has a tonne of flashy special effects because hopefully that'll distract from the horrible script when it's live on stage and people have spent a fortune to watch a bad work of OOC fanfiction.

I don't know why JKR is cool with this. I'm not cool with it and it's not even my baby.
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Jeg syntes at bogen ikke rigtig passer ind, og Harry er ikke som man husker ham fra bøgerne eller filmene. ( )
  Emmask2020 | Jun 21, 2020 |
Aaaaand... Read. :)

How was it? Was it everything I'd hoped it would be? Potterfan that I am?

Hell yeah. Sure, if you all want something edgy, look elsewhere. No hot slant fiction here. This is a great buddy, father-son, father-daughter fiction. It easily fits into the cannon, with tons of revisited scenes from the originals in the form of dreams and timey-wimey stuff, but there's a reason for all of that and it's not a lack of imagination. At this point, it's both nostalgia and crazy emotional crap for the poor kids of Harry and Draco, who just happen to be best buds. Gotta love the drama around those households when the parents get into their shit, right?

What's surprising is how much of a pain it is being the sons of these particular famous peeps, and just how much it turns them into loners and losers and misunderstood outcasts, and therefore ripe for our sympathy. It's a tried and true method, even for Rowling, but it's no less effective here than it was for Harry. It's odd how the same sins are always revisited, right? Well it's true across time and surrogate parentages and all the mistakes that everyone keeps making despite the very best of intentions.

The drama is pure.

And if you're worried that there won't be enough magic and excitement and NUTSO altered realities on huge scales and truly horrific reversals, then just relax and get very anxious, because I sat on the edge of my seat as I saw this play performed in my mind. :)

Will I scream bloody murder if this doesn't get made into a movie down the line after the play-cycle has ended?

Yes. Yes I will. It's a good Harry Potter book, damn it. It changes the meanings of books 3 and book 4 in their interpretations and their importance. It makes me want to do another close read of them to pick out the pieces and see where they tie back into the play. :) There's some pretty cool nit-picky stuff here for us, folks. I'm loving the easter eggs.

Satisfying? Very much so. Fathers and father figures were always big in the series and it's even better now with Albus and Harry. I got all teary. :)

Don't worry about all the haters. This stuff is good. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
7 stars, and when I stop crying, I may try to write more. I felt the play format was perfect for this particular story. ( )
  erinrita | May 28, 2020 |

Ménard, Jean-FrançoisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Jack Thorne
who entered my world
and did beautiful things there.
--J.K. Rowling
For Joe, Louis, Max, Sonny, and Merle...wizards all...
--John Tiffany
To Elliot
As we rehearsed, he gurgled.
--Jack Thorne
A busy and crowded station, full of people trying to go somewhere. Amongst the hustle and bustle, two large cages rattle on top of two laden trolleys.

Albus Potter has big shoes to fill. As a son to Harry Potter, much is expected of him. He is always in trouble, is best friends with Scorpius Malfoy, and uses a time turner. Will he ever live up to his father's legacy.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,915,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible