Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J. K.…

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne, John Tiffany

Series: Harry Potter (8)

7,061379821 (3.58)2 / 139

English (365)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  French (2)  Catalan (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (377)
For those readers who grew up with Harry and his friends, the announcement of the script version of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne originally started out as a dream come true. Not long after its release, for many people it turned into a disappointing mess. The chief complaint comes primarily from the observation that the story reads like a poor imitation of Rowling’s past work. All of the characters seem like caricatures of themselves, and frankly, the plot more often than not resembles fan-fiction. While hard-core fans appear deeply divided on this continuation of the Harry Potter series, ratings continue to drop significantly on most review platforms. Personally, I would very much like to pretend I never read it.

The play is not just a completely different experience than the Harry Potter books. Even if you read it fully aware that it is written in script format, many people will still leave dissatisfied. As a reader and actor, reading scripts is something I enjoy, but nothing about this experience left me yearning to read it again or even see the show onstage. When a script is full of plot-holes, shallow characters, poorly written dialogue, and incredibly outlandish moments, it’s not the format that ruins the experience, it’s the story itself.

Some of our favorite and beloved characters play surprisingly large roles in the plot, but most of their mannerisms and choices make little to no sense. The new characters, particularly Albus and Rose, never fully win over the reader, mostly due in part to unusually grating personalities or, in the case of the latter, very little time on the page. I will admit that Scorpius is a delight, but even his presence on the page cannot make up for what the play lacks.

If you have ever read Harry Potter fan-fiction, you are probably aware of some of the more eccentric plot threads. Many of these bizarre ideas, which admittedly can sometimes be done well, appear in the script, but in this case they never really work. Time flies by so quickly and shifts around so often from scene to scene that much of the plot can never be thoroughly explained. The last act of the play is by far the most ridiculous, as many strange, and frankly unwelcome, revelations come to light. Why everything must be so outrageously exaggerated is simply beyond understanding.

The most important lesson here may be that if an author announces they are continuing a beloved series, you cannot always expect the new installation to be the same quality as before. Don’t necessarily lower your expectations, but maybe try to view it more as a standalone than as an extension. Suffice it to say, if you cannot separate yourself from your attachments to young Harry, Ron, and Hermione, I would not recommend picking up this script. ( )
  Codonnelly | Jun 24, 2019 |
While Harry is definitely involved in this story, it's more about his son and Draco's son. Albus and Harry are struggling and Albus is a but lost trying to live up to his father's name. He finds a friend in Scorpius which no one appreciates. These two bumble into adventure that could ruin everything. It was an okay read, I don't care for the play format.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
I just got the warm and fuzzies.

CarleneInspired | Jun 14, 2019 |
Loved being back in Rowling's wizarding world, but this is a far cry from the series and anyone expecting it to be will find it lacking. Though the characters are Rowling's some of the jargon to my mind was clearly not her own style. Not surprising, since this was not a sole project. Does this make it better or worse? I can't say, as that's totally a personal thing, for me what bothered me in particular were the "accents" of characters like Hagrid, which were written in their characteristic brogue. I felt that was unnecessary. I write this realizing this was written for the stage, so probably more for the actor's and audience's benefit, than my own as a reader, who already has Hagrid's voice in my own head.
What nearly slayed me was Harry's relationship with Albus, because in my fairytale ending Harry and the gang lived happily ever after with no turmoil whatsoever. This more realistic portrayal of a parent/child relationship as a parent broke my heart, and was sad to read.

Overall I'm glad for the story, and think you will be too. ( )
  nicoleolea | Jun 12, 2019 |
I received this book as a Christmas present from my son. I loved the first seven Harry Potter books, but when this one came out, I had mixed feelings about reading it. My main concern was that the book was written in a play format. I really prefer reading novels. I love the description that you are able to get in novels. A play feels really sterile, especially when you are just reading it. When my son gave me the book, I decided that it was time to read it.

The story takes place nineteen years after the events in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. We meet up with Harry and Ginny, and their three children (James, Lily and Albus), and Ron and Hermione and their child Rose. It is Albus' first year at Hogwarts. He immediately bonds with Scorpius Malfoy, the son of Draco, especially when both are sorted into Slytherin. Scorpius and Albus both have problems fitting in at Hogwarts, and dealing with their father's reputations.

I enjoyed the basic story. When characters from the previous books were brought back for what are essentially cameos, I felt a wave of nostalgia. It was a bit sad to see Harry beaten down by the bureaucracy of his job. He seems very middle aged and not so much a hero anymore. I have heard that this is a great play to watch on stage. I hope I get the chance to do that some day. I would also like it if the book could be rewritten as a novel. You really need to have read the first seven books to get the most out of this one. Fans of the series should enjoy revisiting Hogwarts.
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |

Ménard, Jean-FrançoisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
To Jack Thorne
who entered my world
and did beautiful things there.
--J.K. Rowling
For Joe, Louis, Max, Sonny, and Merle...wizards all...
--John Tiffany
To Elliot
As we rehearsed, he gurgled.
--Jack Thorne
A busy and crowded station, full of people trying to go somewhere. Amongst the hustle and bustle, two large cages rattle on top of two laden trolleys.

As an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and a father, Harry Potter struggles with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs while his youngest son, Albus, finds the weight of the family legacy difficult to bear.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,633,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible