Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Chains of Command (Frontlines Book 4) by…

Chains of Command (Frontlines Book 4) (original 2016; edition 2016)

by Marko Kloos (Author)

Series: Frontlines (4)

The assault on Earth was thwarted by the destruction of the aliens' seed ship, but with Mars still under Lanky control, survivors work frantically to rebuild fighting capacity and shore up planetary defenses. Platoon sergeant Andrew Grayson must crash-course train new volunteers--all while dulling his searing memories of battle with alcohol and meds. Knowing Earth's uneasy respite won't last, the North American Commonwealth and its Sino-Russian allies hurtle toward two dangerous options: hit the Lanky forces on Mars or go after deserters who stole a fleet of invaluable warships critical to winning the war. Assigned to a small special ops recon mission to scout out the renegades' stronghold on a distant moon, Grayson and his wife, dropship pilot Halley, again find themselves headed for the crucible of combat--and a shattering new campaign in the war for humanity's future.… (more)
Member:majkia
Title:Chains of Command (Frontlines Book 4)
Authors:Marko Kloos (Author)
Info:47North (2016), 386 pages
Collections:Your library, Audio, Sci Fi, 2020 Reads, Read
Tags:audio, Audible, sci fi, 2020CC, ROOT, SFFKIT

Chains of Command by Marko Kloos (2016)

Horrible odds? Bad choices? A chance to go after the Ex-President and a whole bunch of traitorous assholes that left the home system in the lurch and freedom from the boredom of training new recruits?

Sign me up! Um. I mean, Grayson, why don't you sign up? :) Maybe your wife will come up with a bit of a surprise for you! :)

I liked this one better than the last not only because I felt like it was kinda like getting the band back together, but because the odds were horrible on a smaller and more personal scale. :) As in, those bastards! :)

Plus, the surprises in store for them really made the tale go down well, too, and even if it wasn't an unqualified success, it certainly went beyond almost everyone's expectations. :) Yay!

I can't wait for the next installment next year! :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
It is a long time since I read the previous instalment in the Frontlines series. For some reason it kind of fell off my radar. Well, now it is back in my scope so here we go…

Due to the long hibernation I had to do a bit of recap what had happened in the previous three instalments so I could get back into the storyline. What I remember of the previous books was that they were quite well written but there was some logic issues in the story itself.

This seems to be true for this one as well. The characters, the action (including most of the physics) and the storytelling in general is quite good. Very good actually.

I still struggle to get to grips with a race that has space travel but conduct ground warfare by slugging around like some fantasy story golems. No technology, no weapons just walking up to the enemy and clobber away.

Not that we see much of these “space golems” in this book though since most of the story is devoted to Major Masoud’s mission to recover the military assets that was stolen by the traitors in the previous instalment.

I quite liked this mission even though it almost entirely involved dirtside infiltration and warfare which is not my favorite. The action was good and I personally did like Major Masoud’s hidden agenda to bring the traitors to their knees.

What I did not like was Grayson’s moral qualms about Major Masoud’s methods. Come on! We are talking about the survival of humanity and the human home world here after all and these traitors had taken off with the majority of the humans latest technology and military assets! Just wipe the f…ers out and take back the assets needed to fight the real enemy.

The moral whining and the fact that my preference is for a bit more space action is the only reason this book do not get another star from me. It is a solid and well written piece of military science fiction. ( )
  perjonsson | Jun 10, 2019 |
This series continues to deliver exciting stories set within a very interesting alternate universe. Some signs of success in slowing down the Lanky Incursion are balanced by the sneaky withdrawal of the NAC leaders and their families to places unknown. That the warships and advanced technology that could combat the Lankies went with them was the height of treachery. Warring factors on Earth have united but need those ships and other weapons. A small recon force travels their recently discovered hiding place to recover these vital assets. Therein lies the tale and it is a good one. ( )
  jamespurcell | Jan 9, 2018 |
Like the other books in the series, this one is similar in feel, yet puts our hero in a completely new situation. I like this series more with each book. ( )
  oswallt | Nov 25, 2016 |
This was good action packed story that continues the Frontlines series. The book takes place a year after the events of Angles of Attack. Earth is still a political dystopian mess. The leadership of the North American Commonwealth has bugged out for places unknown taking the best spaceships with them leaving Earth to defend herself. This is the story of how those ships were recovered and how a platoon of soldiers and special operators took control of the planet the traitors fled to. It is also the stories of the lies leadership tells to the lead in order to manipulate them to get their goals accomplished. It is the story of Andrew Grayson and his wife Haley as they navigate a path between duty and love, and their humanity versus the demands of commanding troops in battle and causing some to die. This novel can be read as just another good piece of military science fiction and on that level its fun. Kloos challenges his readers to think the about moral cost of command. The psychic consequences of having the power of life and death over an individual prisoner, a platoon of soldiers, or the overall command of a task force. He asks the reader ask what is the price of victory, is it worth lying to those under you for the greater good to save lives? ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 23, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

The assault on Earth was thwarted by the destruction of the aliens’ seed ship, but with Mars still under Lanky control, survivors work frantically to rebuild fighting capacity and shore up planetary defenses. Platoon sergeant Andrew Grayson must crash-course train new volunteers—all while dulling his searing memories of battle with alcohol and meds.

Knowing Earth’s uneasy respite won’t last, the North American Commonwealth and its Sino-Russian allies hurtle toward two dangerous options: hit the Lanky forces on Mars or go after deserters who stole a fleet of invaluable warships critical to winning the war. Assigned to a small special ops recon mission to scout out the renegades’ stronghold on a distant moon, Grayson and his wife, dropship pilot Halley, again find themselves headed for the crucible of combat—and a shattering new campaign in the war for humanity’s future.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,460,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible