The Trouble With Women by Jacky Fleming

The Trouble With Women (edition 2016)

by Jacky Fleming (Autore)

Ever noticed that women don't feature much in history books, and wondered why? Then this is the book for you. In The Trouble with Women , feminist artist Jacky Fleming illustrates how the opinions of supposed male geniuses, such as Charles Darwin (who believed that women have smaller brains than men) and John Ruskin (who believed that women's main function was to praise men), have shaped the fate of women through history, confining them to a life of domesticity and very little else. Get ready to laugh, wince, and rescue forgotten women from the "dustbin of history," while keeping a close eye out for tell-tale "genius hair."… (more)
Member:MarcDam
Title:The Trouble With Women
Authors:Jacky Fleming (Autore)
Info:Square Peg (2016), Edition: 01, 128 pages
Collections:Read, Read in 2021, Your library
Rating:****1/2

The Trouble With Women by Jacky Fleming

I'd been waiting for this since I first heard about it, and it was a birthday present. It didn't disappoint.

Many of the pages had me laughing out loud. Very funny, and I learned a few things. I thought there'd be a little more information on some historic women, but I see that isn't the aim. I definitely encountered a few that I'd never seen before though. The quotes from Darwin and Schopenhauer are outrageous!

It's hard to communicate in a written review, but the women's expressions were very well done. I already knew Jacky Fleming's work from the internet, so the style and type of humour weren't a surprise. If you like her stuff, then this is worth a read. ( )
  RFellows | Apr 29, 2020 |
A unique tongue-in-cheek take on the history of women. I loved the sarcasm. Here are some of my favourite lines:

In the Older Days there were no women which is why you don't come across them in history lessons at school.

In the 700 years between Hildegard of Bingen and Jane Austen women writing was frowned upon, because it required thought, which interfered with childbirth.

Women found lifting a pen very tiring as it caused chlorosis which disrupted blood flow and in some cases led to uterine prolapse. Or was that the corset?

Some art by women has accidentally been considered great, a mistake easily rectified by placing it in the dustbin of history.

Girls weren’t allowed to study science because their reproductive organs made them irrational, and abstract thought doesn’t get the curtains hung.

Would highly recommend it. Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a free copy of the book. This review is my personal opinion and has not been influenced anyway by anyone. ( )
  anushanarasimhan | Feb 5, 2020 |
Snarky, funny, sarcastic - in other words, utterly delightful! ( )
  obtusata | Jan 9, 2020 |
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

This was fun and I grinned a lot while reading, but nothing laughing out loud as my feeble minded, tiny head would never be able to grasp it all.

On a more serious note: this booklet, it is too short to actually call it a book, makes fun of sexism by explaining historical visions on women from people nowadays considered geniuses. The sad part is of course, that while it is immediately clear now that these are all rubbish, they have held back generations, centuries even, of women.

A short read, but nice.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Down through the ages, women have been trouble, or maybe that should be they have been troubled, or perhaps trouble just follows them. Regardless, they have overcome their shortcomings! Even though they started out with heads that were too small, arms that were too short, and bodies that fell over when not supported by corsets, the rise of feminism after only 2,000 years is something to behold and to hold on to. This lovely little book filled with delightful illustrations and satirical commentary will charm the socks off both male and female readers. ( )
  Maydacat | Jan 25, 2019 |
"TAKE NOBODY'S WORD FOR IT"
motto of the Royal Society
In the Olden Days there were no women which is why you don't come across them in history lessons at school.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,623,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible