The Many Worlds of Albie Bright

by Christopher Edge

A funny, moving and exciting novel about a young boy who'll do anything - including travel to parrallel words - to see his mother one last time.

Prachtig boek, wetenschappelijk wel te moeilijk voor lagere schoolkinderen, maar niettemin een wondermooi en ontroerend boek. ( )
  sienappel | Dec 22, 2017 |
Albie, who has lost his mother to cancer, and who feels neglected by his bereaved father, decides that if the many worlds theory is correct, then he can find his mother alive in a parallel universe if he can figure out how to hop between them. To that end, he discovers the Quantum Banana theory, and begins jumping into parallel universes looking for the one person he desperately wants to be with. Along the way, he encounters other versions of his friends and family, and even of himself, he has adventures, and he learns a few things about family and love, and loss.

When I was growing up, one of my favorite books was "A Wrinkle in Time." When I read the description of "The Many Worlds of Albie Bright" I couldn't help but be reminded of that old favorite. A story about a smart kid who goes searching to other worlds/universes to find a lost parent? Heck yeah. And yet in many ways the two books couldn't be more different. Albie's story is far less serious than that of the Murray children, the writing is direct and unpoetic, and there's a hella lot of sciencing going on in the narrative. The only problem that I had with this book, in fact, was wondering if a child reading at this book's level would get even the simpler scientific explanation of quantum physics. Since I'm not a nine year old, I came to no conclusions, but I can tell you that I got a kick out of it. ( )
  Tracy_Rowan | Jul 3, 2017 |

TracyRowanAuthor | Jun 17, 2017 |
This is really an interesting premise for a book. It teaches science while telling a story about a young boy who is searching for his mom. The thing is, his mom has passed away and he is trying to find a parallel universe where she is still alive. In each universe, there is something slightly different and all of these differences make Albie realize that he needs to be home in his own universe. When I give my annual talk to our County Reading Council, this one will definitely be included. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Jun 13, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,486,415 books! | Top bar: Always visible